WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

An E36 Investigation

GunMetalGrey

I am not a man familiar with E36's, but I'm hoping someone here has some insight. 
I find this list of options to be a very odd amount of conflicting parts, but what most interests me at this point is the option towards the bottom 
S779A - Carbon line

Any idea what this would be? The googler wasn't much help.

image.png

Only talk until I get other projects finished...

So this is what I found http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BF99-EUR---E36-BMW-M3&diagId=91_0126 . Anything I can see that has this option was an international competition model or the GT model M3.  It appears to be some carbon interior bits.

A little more info. https://e36-talk.com/forum/index.php?thread/82508-s779a-carbon-line-carbon-line-was-ist-das/

So far, I have found that the '94 325iS M-technic cars had this option (I checked the 3-4 vins I could find so far, all had it), but from what I recall they weren't offered with any carbon trim. Here is a low mile example:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-bmw-325is-mtechnic/

If you run the VIN it has similar options to your list including S779A, but the pictures show no carbon fiber bits. I'm not sure what it means as far as what is included with that option, maybe a black headliner?

this options code list suggests 779A would be: Door Handle, BMW Individual/Motorsport

http://www.bmwe36blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/optioncodes.pdf

makes sense if you're finding it on m-technic cars, as those have the motorsports handles. i plugged a bunch of 94 mtechnic VINs into a decoder, and they all came up with that option.

german to english translation on a lot of BMW parts is sketch, wondering if 'carbon' means black or something other than carbon fiber

edit: the internet also has some e34 m5s with build sheets with that code. e34 m5s also could have motorsports handles. i don't believe e34s got any sort of carbon interior trim in the production lifetime.

I'm glad the research is also limited, and with a bit of help from earl it's looking like it is indeed LTW interior type stuff.
It does also have a black headliner.

I found a random deal on an E36 this weekend, and it's panning out to be a much more interesting car than I ever could have imagined. 
I'll be moving it to storage for the time being, as I have told myself I can't start working on it until the other cars I have are out of the shop. 

Sadly it's looking like a bunch of the original stuff has been removed, but I think it will be worth buying those parts again to put back on it. 

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

If anyone has a set of E36 early model grilles, headlights, and corner markers I would like to buy them from you!

I don't think there is any differentiation for early/late model when it comes to E36? Add some side/bumper moldings to the list, lol.

Either way, they only made 150 Mtechnic 325is cars. Should be a fun 'restoration' project.

^ that cracking seal annoys me. Will be replacing the surround as it looks to be very easy. 

Poll time. 

I am thinking about bringing it back to as original condition as possible.
I'm in the process of obtaining a set of wheels that are original to this car; BBS RC041 / 042 
That being said, is it worth my time to pull the S52 out and put an M50 back in, like the car originally had? 

I'm thinking yes, and considering the current motor doesn't run (could be an easy fix) I think that swapping in a an M50 will remove any of the potential wiring issues that someone else messed up. 

Thoughts? 

12 minutes ago, Rekpoint said:

Personally Id leave the S52. Its a special car. But the m50 that came in it originally wasn't very special.

If he had the original motor it would be worth leaps and bounds more with the m50 back in. At this point the only benefit of an m50 would be an easy way to get it to run if basic trouble shooting doesn't work. 

4 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

Personally Id leave the S52. Its a special car. But the m50 that came in it originally wasn't very special.

I agree, and honestly these cars were built prior to BMW offering the M3 here. So they built 150 of them with everything but the power plant. When they finally offered it all the luxuries this car had, wasnt availble in the M3. Its kind of a best of both worlds. 

22 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Leave the s52.  Like everyone else said an m50 may be original but wouldnt add any value to it where the s52 adds value and driving pleasure.

But for this car it didn't add value. The value to who it matters was lost once the m50 left the building and the wheels were taken off. This is one of those cars that's worth a ton to collectors but at this point (mileage and condition) it's not something a collector would even bother with. Now it's just a clean e36 with an ///M swap and happens to have been a special package (even though that really does nothing for what this car is worth anymore)

Got more pics of the car or is it a secret rn? Still have the M cloth interior? Rusty? These things are sweet and I’d take one over another cosmos M3 haha

In my opinion I think that many will appreciate its rarity regardless of a s52 swap. I don’t think that the fact that the original motor exploded or whatever is going to completely discredit the fact that it’s a 1/150 M-technic car. Clean it up, source the special interior and exterior bits and it’ll pull a premium. I’ve seen LTW’s with motors that have been replaced, they don’t just become average priced m3’s. Same concept on a smaller scale? Honestly these cars came with much more desirable bits then the M3’s did in the US, and I think they are respected more then just being a trim level for a 325is.