WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1984 BMW R100 Cafe Racer Project

Bassboy3313

Looks like I will have another project to work on along side the e21 this winter. Coworker wanted a cafe racer project to learn how to wrench, but doesnt have a garage. So I offered him my work shed and I will help him out (aka I will most likely have to do most of the work). Its an 84 BMW R100. 

This is the bike.

168452695509467076%253Faccount_id%253D0

This is the idea of the finished product.

Image result

Should be an easier/quicker project than the e21 turned out to be at least, lol. 

2 hours ago, HipMF said:

Nice!

Motorcycle projects definitely go faster. I did my Honda CB77 while working and going to school, with almost no budget.

P08-08-11_08-58.jpg

That looks great, Mike! Your Moto Guzzi could be a slick cafe bike too I'd think. 

2 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

cant wait to see progress on this

the idea of the finish project photo = 😍  what model did that bike start as?

That is a BMW R100RT.

front tires are put 'backwards' compared to rear tires for the braking characteristics.  braking is essentially putting a backwards rotational force on the tire, and the front tire does most of the work for braking on a motorcycle.  hydroplaning a bike is less common than a car, so water evacuation at speed is less important than safer braking. 

more common scenario: its wet out and you need to slow your bike in a hurry without washing out.

less common scenario: its wet out and you're ripped on coke and buzzing along the highway at 150mph and you need your bike to not hydroplane.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...