WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community
Sign in to follow this  
Boris3

e46 water pump recommendations

Question

I have to replace my thermostat on the 330i and considering what to put on the "while I'm in there" list. For those that have replaced a water pump on an e46 any brand recommendations or warnings on which brands to avoid?

7 answers to this question

I have been using the Saleri water pumps with composite propellers as they are the OEM supplier for the BMW pumps. The bearings are likely higher quality than a lot of the other aftermarket pumps and the composite impellers don't have the problems that the old plastic impellers did. They actually sound metallic if you tap on them. I put one in my e36 m3 when I redid the cooling system and had zero issues for 35k miles before I sold it. I put one on the M54 going into the e30 as well, though it hasn't done anything yet. 

1 hour ago, Boris3 said:

Thanks. Typically replace the pulley as well?

I'm not totally sure on replacing them, though I don't think you need to replace it if it isn't damaged or anything (I haven't heard of failures, though I could be wrong on that). I replaced mine with ECS's aluminum pulley since the one that came with my motor was damaged, it certainly couldn't hurt. 

I have seen both metal and composite ones fail. Besides that 99% of those were not my car and the owners always opted for the cheap replacement. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I used a Saleri brand pump in my personal vehicle and never had a problem.