WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

17 inch E36 wheels

damnboy037

2 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Everyone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those are real LTW wheels. The BMW stamp, date code and the quality control stamps look legit/I doubt any rep wheel would bother with that. That's a heck of a chunk out of them though, what happened?

Check to see if there are numbers by the valve stems:

From member "ozbmw" on bimmerfourms:

The " BMW M Double Spoke , Forged " to give it its proper title is a solid forged single piece wheel introduced in 1994 as a optional at great cost wheel, later given the code 'Style 24' It was always and still is sold in staggered sets of 7.5" x 17" front and 8.5" rear. External identification as said before : 
For the 3.0L M3 these wheels were painted silver with BMW Motorsport impressed in to the face. This earlier version was also available as a polished wheel with the BMW Motorsport stamped and these were only fitted to the M3GT.
For the facelifted 96+ models a polished Style 24 wheel was introduced with a stick-on logo. 

All these genuine wheels have numbers stamped around the valve stem as follows:

350 : original painted front rim 
360 : original painted rear rim

759 : original polished front rim M3GT only
760 : original polished rear rim M3GT only

850 : later polished front rim
860 : later polished rear rim

851 : later polished 7.5" rim but I have no info on when or where these were used

The three numbers are the last three digits of the actual 11 digit serial number for example 360 is actually 36112227360

These wheels were all individually inspected by Xray and balanced after forging and machining, that is why some show evidence of grinding at the rear to get true balance. 

There are 5 perfect examples of these wheels sitting in a garage just 5 metres away from me as I type.