WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

This S85 swapped M3 sounds AMAZING. But how?

Andrew

I bring you this E46 M3 with a glorious sounding S85 V10.

https://youtu.be/1Zb7i5zLe5k

Apparently its a drift car driven by a fella named Luke Fink.  It sounds awesome.  In fact, I think it sounds way awesomer than an S85 normally sounds.  Now I know exhaust notes are a subjective thing, so no one has to agree with me, but i prefer the sound of an even firing V10 (LFA, Carrera GT, 5.0 gallardo) to the sound of an odd firing V10 (BMW S85, 5.2 Gallardo, viper).  Somehow, the builders of this drift car have managed to make this S85 sound more like an even firing v10.   I suspect they accidentally did something with the header & exhaust lengths to make the exhaust pulses behave more like an even firing engine.  What are your theories on how they have achieved this sound?

mugatu.gif

Haha.  Apparently it's not as obviously different as i thought.  I still firmly believe that this is a unique sounding S85, not just loud.

On 10/1/2018 at 8:59 AM, Jdesign said:

Equal length long tube headers into a single collector usually create that more harmonious sound at full tilt. It sounds damn good. Then again, I find pleasure in sounds of just about any explosion whether its a 3 cylinder Mirage or a 16 cylinder Cizeta. 

It probably does have headers of some sort, but how they are merged i do not know.  

On 10/1/2018 at 11:46 PM, wasnt m3 said:

Seems like the video has been speed up slightly.

I hope i havent been fooled by a little video editing.  Though I have found videos where it has the same shriek.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1guFUeqq5g&