WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

HipMF's adventures in obsolescence

HipMF

Figured I'd create a thread for this on the odd chance that it holds my interest longer than a couple weeks.

Atari ST revival!

cMBF3xI.jpg

Having weird, nerdy co-workers has finally paid off. One of them was clutch and gave me an mint NIB USB floppy drive circa 2004:

ls46rPc.jpg

Initially, it didn't play nice with double-density disks, but if you get on the command line and hit the right switches it works fine (FAT32? Hahaha! Yeah, right...).

Most people would probably try to install a game or something cool like that first. Boring. I chose "Devpac". An "IDE' for assembly programming.

I hate it when this happens though...

F4uROro.png

Foreshadowing...? A few bad sectors on the disk meant there wasn't enough space. No problem, just delete some stuff for newer machines that I won't need. Pop the disk in the ST and fire up the "install" program. Since there's no hard drive, the install program just formats a 2nd disk and then copies the stuff you need to it. Once that was done I tried to fire it up...

YHSr3Dh.jpg

"Bombed out." The Atari equivalent of the blue screen of death.

Wasn't really sure what the problem was, but having had bad sectors on the original disk, I questioned the robustness of the format utility on the ST that was used on the 2nd disk. Decided to reformat the disk on the PC to see what would happen. Zero bad sectors. Hmm... Went through the "install" procedure again and this time it worked without any issues. *shrug*

I've done some assembly programming on Atmel microcontrollers, but have never touched a Motorola 68000, and know next to nothing about programming for an ST, so I figured I'd load up one of the demo programs that comes with Devpac to try it out.

crfFMcO.jpg

FFS, are you kidding me? A quiz on the first day of class?!

I ain't about that life. Did some scanning through the menu...

This should help...

TSFfRAg.jpg

zZT4YqU.jpg

mov.w ? |rap? Come on. Obviously supposed to be move.w and trap.

Customized the text more to my liking, but it still doesn't wait for a keypress and just bombs out instead. I have an idea what the problem might be, but have had enough adventuring for today...

SUxmWKr.png