WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

A 1997 e36 M3 that I shouldn't have bought :/

Rekpoint

• 1 month later...

I had intentions of dropping the sub-frame to do the oil pump nut/ oil pump. ive been delaying it for weeks. I bought an engine support brace for the job and was going to pay a buddy to do it. (Ive been drowning with no motivation for ANYTHING at all)

I have all the stuff for the oil nut replacement but I think I lucked out.

I was thinking tonight. And I came to the conclusion I should actually check the oil filter housing to see if it was draining properly. I put some fresh oil in it and from what I see here is its not draining properly and thats why my new oil filter didn't get any oil on it and I had the oil pressure light. 

I ordered the gasket for the housing and Im going to start pulling it tomorrow. 

After that It will be up for sale. (I dont expect anybody from here to buy it) It would be a good drift car for someone though...

20181029_193354.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Full subframe was dropped last week. And this is what I found....

@GunMetalGrey called it..

Stupid nut.

It will be put back together, new tires will be installed and it will be for sale shortly as I have nowhere to store it for the winter.

what a PITA

Side note add me on Snapchat if anyone is interested in what Rekpoint does day to day...

SC : Rekpoint

Snapchat-972804423.png

• 3 months later...

Update. Has been sitting in my driveway waiting to be driven. I need to pump old gas out of the gas tank and get some new stuff in there.

Hopefully we stop getting snow here soon so I can sell it.

What does everyone think about price? 
I was thinking 4300 OBO

Based on whats done to it and how many miles it has Id like to hear some opinions. It has some rust., comes with a new hood at asking price etc.

52 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

What was the whole story on the oil pump nut?  How long did it run without oil pressure?

Not long. He was driving and the ECU cut power to the engine because of no oil pressure.

Disconnected the ecu and reconnected It and it fired right up.

18 hours ago, jc43089 said:

The ECU doesn't know or care about low oil pressure, page 6211.0-00 of the ETM shows that the pressure switch does nothing but light up the light.  Did you pull a bearing cap while you had the pan open to see what they looked like?

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/1997 BMW 318is-c - 328i-c Electrical Troubleshooting Manual.pdf

Unfortunately I didn't. I ran a magnet in the pan for any metal shavings and it came out clean.

8 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

Unfortunately I didn't. I ran a magnet in the pan for any metal shavings and it came out clean.

I doubt you would see any metal shavings.  Bearing material isn't magnetic anyway.  You should put some miles on it to see if it seems normal otherwise anyone that knows what happened wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.  It might be just fine and then you can sell it for possibly more rather than someone considering that they might need to put a different engine in due to running without oil pressure.

I'm not trying to be rude but I wouldn't buy it for $2000 knowing what's happened to it.  Now if you had driven it 5k miles since then without problems then my concern would be much lower.

4 hours ago, jc43089 said:

I doubt you would see any metal shavings.  Bearing material isn't magnetic anyway.  You should put some miles on it to see if it seems normal otherwise anyone that knows what happened wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.  It might be just fine and then you can sell it for possibly more rather than someone considering that they might need to put a different engine in due to running without oil pressure.

I'm not trying to be rude but I wouldn't buy it for $2000 knowing what's happened to it.  Now if you had driven it 5k miles since then without problems then my concern would be much lower.

Totally understandable. I put a few miles on it before it started to snow and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. But Ill do some more driving with it to see if anything is out of the ordinary.

If worst comes to worst ill part it out. Ideally i wouldn't because I have a few cars coming my way but I gotta do what I gotta do.

2 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Might be a good idea to get 3-5k on it and do a Blackstone labs oil analysis, that would likely tell you if there is any excessive wear going on. 

Ill probably be doing that.