WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Another daily driver thread: E34 525i

P_Roloff

Original clutch? I’d be prepared to have them replace it, it’s at that mileage now. When the clutch went out on my 530i it would just go straight to the floor too and it really didn’t feel like it was going out before that. 

On 8/5/2022 at 7:33 AM, YoungCR said:

Original clutch? I’d be prepared to have them replace it, it’s at that mileage now. When the clutch went out on my 530i it would just go straight to the floor too and it really didn’t feel like it was going out before that. 

Yep, original clutch. That’s the plan if they have to pull anything at all, it still grabbed well but I could tell it was getting to the very end of the clutch range it felt like. 

Honestly wouldn’t be that upset, I have a whole pile of parts for them to replace if they do the clutch so it wouldn’t be that bad of a thing to happen. And then it’d be done and good to go for another 100k+!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car back Thursday, the culprit ended up being the clutch master and not the slave (though they replaced the slave first) to the tune of around $900 all in with a wheel balance. Sheesh. They also charged $300 and some change for the system bleed so not really sure what that’s about, everything else seemed reasonable as far as labor and parts. 

Anywho, got eh car back and everything with the clutch is fine, but my door no longer shuts well (feels like it’s bent upwards at the hinge, and that it gets forced back down to the correct position once it hits the latch) and the wheel balance is far worse than before, with some pretty violent shaking sometimes above 55-60mph. The wheels and tires were balanced very recently but had a slight vibration that I thought they could maybe fix, it was definitely made worse with their work. Had no issues with the old set of wheels so I’m thinking that it’s wheel/tire related and not mechanical, although it could be the larger and heavier wheel/tire exacerbating a worn part. All control arms and sway links in the front are around 30k old, tie rods and other steering bits are originally but felt fine last time I had it up in the air. Any thoughts from the e34 hive mind? From what I have read these cars are particularly prone to vibration from a multitude of sources. 

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Is the center bore on the wheel the same as the stock e34?  If not, buy a set of hub rings.

Haven’t checked with a caliper, but it should be. Ordered the standard fitment 72.56mm centerbore when I purchased, and they fit tightly when installed a few weeks ago. 

I had the car flat bedded into the shop, I wonder if the tow driver strapped over a control arm and bent it? Or a tie rod? Anything think that would be enough to cause a vibration like this?

1 hour ago, P_Roloff said:

Haven’t checked with a caliper, but it should be. Ordered the standard fitment 72.56mm centerbore when I purchased, and they fit tightly when installed a few weeks ago. 

I had the car flat bedded into the shop, I wonder if the tow driver strapped over a control arm and bent it? Or a tie rod? Anything think that would be enough to cause a vibration like this?

Is the shaking at all speeds?  If it's most prevalent in the 55-60 mph range that sounds like a wheel/tire issue.  When they balanced them did they road force them?  There are imbalances that can be fixed using a road force balance then re-orientating the tire on the wheel.  If you had a bent control arm/tie rod or most other suspension components you're gonna get a crooked steering wheel or a pull when you loosen your grip on the wheel.  Those components directly impact your alignment so there would be another drivability symptom.

6 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Is the shaking at all speeds?  If it's most prevalent in the 55-60 mph range that sounds like a wheel/tire issue.  When they balanced them did they road force them?  There are imbalances that can be fixed using a road force balance then re-orientating the tire on the wheel.  If you had a bent control arm/tie rod or most other suspension components you're gonna get a crooked steering wheel or a pull when you loosen your grip on the wheel.  Those components directly impact your alignment so there would be another drivability symptom.

Nope, really just 55+ and gets more severe above 62 or so (indicated). At 45-50 and below it’s buttery smooth, I actually didn’t even notice until the day after I got it back because I never broke 50 on the way home. 

I’m sure they didn’t road force them, I’m guessing they don’t have the capability but I know of a few shops around that can. I just find it odd that it’s worse than when I took it in, and noticeably so. They mentioned adding a half ounce or so of weight to a few of the wheels but their general vibe was that they were pretty close so I’m a little leery of that being the cause. I wouldn’t think that much weight would make this significant of a difference, but you never know. 

No noticeable pull that I could feel, although e34’s tracking straight ahead is kind of a crapshoot with the box anyways. Steering wheel is definitely off center, and while it wasn’t perfect before it seems like it’s more significant then before. I might swap my old (known good) wheel set back on to see if that solves the issue, and if it doesn’t it’s going straight back to them to figure out what’s up.