WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Back from the dead or something.

rampelsauce

28 minutes ago, REKIII said:

Pretty sure I drove past your place a couple weekends ago.  Port, right?  Went to Beanies for my moms b-day.

Yessir. The compact is pretty well displayed to anyone coming into port from the south. 

12 hours ago, snap said:

332ti is a cool combo

From what I hear it's the bees knees and I'm so freaking stoked to do this.

13 hours ago, rampelsauce said:

From what I hear it's the bees knees and I'm so freaking stoked to do this.

There is a small trade off with the added power. You end up losing a little bit of the go kart feel that you may have grown to love. It happens because the weight is not pushed in front of the strut towers instead of being "behind" them. With the extra power you yourself probably won't notice, especially with not having driven the car as is for a bit

13 hours ago, Earl said:

There is a small trade off with the added power. You end up losing a little bit of the go kart feel that you may have grown to love. It happens because the weight is not pushed in front of the strut towers instead of being "behind" them. With the extra power you yourself probably won't notice, especially with not having driven the car as is for a bit

I'm hoping the weight reduction and other "racecar" mods will keep me some what in the go kart handling area. I did get a chance to beat on the compact enough to know I wanted to keep it around, and I'm hoping to get it prepped for some track day and autox fun. I dont want to get too far ahead of myself though, the goal is to get the motor in and drive it. 

15 hours ago, rampelsauce said:

I'm hoping the weight reduction and other "racecar" mods will keep me some what in the go kart handling area. I did get a chance to beat on the compact enough to know I wanted to keep it around, and I'm hoping to get it prepped for some track day and autox fun. I dont want to get too far ahead of myself though, the goal is to get the motor in and drive it. 

The weight reduction doesn't really help with this issue though. If anything it slightly compounds it since the car ends up even more unbalanced. The big thing is that the new motor is not much heavier at all in comparison to the m44. It's just that the front of it hangs past the strut towers, and that's what takes away from the feel. This is why you have the assumed "crazy" E30 318 owners that swear up and down that their car handles better than any 325 that they have driven. 

5 hours ago, Earl said:

The weight reduction doesn't really help with this issue though. If anything it slightly compounds it since the car ends up even more unbalanced. The big thing is that the new motor is not much heavier at all in comparison to the m44. It's just that the front of it hangs past the strut towers, and that's what takes away from the feel. This is why you have the assumed "crazy" E30 318 owners that swear up and down that their car handles better than any 325 that they have driven. 

I get what you're saying, but I doubt with suspension, wide tires, and overall weight reduction I'll have any understeer issues. If nothing else I can do what they do in bespoke race vehicles and add weight where its needed to achieve balance. 

Adding weight in front of the axle means that it's much farther forward than the center of mass of the car. When trying to turn the car, this results in a higher moment of inertia. The end result is that it takes more force from the front tires to initiate the rotation.

Also, adding weight in front of the front axle also causes there to be less weight on the rear tires, even though the car got heavier (think of the front tires as the fulcrum on a see-saw). This obviously has a bad effect on weight distribution, which is already bad on a compact due to the lack of rear over-hang, and almost all of the the easy weight-reduction comes off the rear of the car (seats, spare tire, rear windows/hatch glass...)

I haven't driven mine very hard on tarmac, but on snow it already understeers pretty bad compared to the e21 or the e34. However, I know that I have a little excess toe on the compact, which aggrevates the issue somewhat.

I'm definitely open to discussion on the best setup for making the car handle for the S52. Been talking to some folks running big wangs to see if they're seeing a difference (higher speed applications, no autox). I would have to take some considerations for autox. Adding some weight down low and behind the rear axle might help. Since everything will be stripped out I will have some weight to play with. 

Keep in mind, however, this car wont really built to any spec but my own. At the end of the day, it's a fun car and I want it to be a good time while fitting the bill of being a "racecar" in my mind. It's more motivated by the mentality of a 6 year old going to Road America and seeing cool shit that's fast and loud. 

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

i'm pretty sure you should be able to balance the handling of the car with combinations of sway bars, spring rates, and tire sizes.

what i'm saying is, unless you plan on becoming an autox hero, aero for 0.1 sec off your autox lap is silly. anything functional is going to be huge and obnoxious.

I don't think anyone had mentioned aero yet... Edit: they did, I missed it.

Balance can definitely be adjusted through spring rates and sway bars, but it's kind of a band-aid fix. For example, see FWD cars with massive rear sways that are lifting the inside rear tire in every corner. It might improve the balance, but the tire that's not touching the ground obviously isn't providing any grip.

At the end of the day, it's really just about having fun anyway. Maybe SCCA is different, but being competitive at autocross seems a bit silly to me. Most people don't care that much and aren't trying that hard, so it's kind of a hollow victory if you win. Biggest fish in a small pond and all that...

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

i'm pretty sure you should be able to balance the handling of the car with combinations of sway bars, spring rates, and tire sizes.

what i'm saying is, unless you plan on becoming an autox hero, aero for 0.1 sec off your autox lap is silly. anything functional is going to be huge and obnoxious.

That's why I'd like something removable. Mostly if it would make a difference on the track. Everyone agrees that any crazy aero for autox is for swag/scene points/vape nation/yolo or pro solo cars. None of these really apply to my goals. Although being a pro solo caliber driver would be fun. 

Obviously I plan on giving the car a good season of driving before I get too weird about aero. I would like to personally feel the cars shortcomings and determine if it's just character or something that can be fixed with a big wang or flat underbody/diffuser.

More work less talk.

Starting in pulling apart the interior *carefully* today.  Have most things removed from the dash (airbag, stereo, stereo wiring, knee panels, speaker panels, center console) and the passengers seat as well.  Since I'm working outside its slow going.  I'm hoping to have the interior fully removed and posted for sale in the next week or so (rip free black compact interior, FOR SALE yall).  

20190328_160957.thumb.jpg.96d7495f13e0591b9189c2bc76588e1e.jpg

20190328_161905.thumb.jpg.3db54701de83fbf268cdfae7a0c5c494.jpg

20190328_164851.thumb.jpg.04367eaac2c9e1fa2e785ae999039ee9.jpg

After I pick up my 3.73 LSD next weekend, I want to get the rear end out and start working on it.  I need to stay motivated.  If anyone wants to help motivate me and stop over with beers, I'd be your pal forever.

get the diff stud kit while you're swapping. by the 4th time I swapped e30 diffs I had enough, and swore i'd get the kit next time around.

i wouldn't recommend garagistic, but its the first link I found. 

https://store.garagistic.com/BMW-diff-stud-conversion-kit-e30-e28-z3?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4fHkBRDcARIsACV58_HlwOZhgpvBybv8igxq5I90pJ9DMKhVhUsoChYkXXN-zwTl2CTIkiYaAgIKEALw_wcB

7 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

get the diff stud kit while you're swapping. by the 4th time I swapped e30 diffs I had enough, and swore i'd get the kit next time around.

i wouldn't recommend garagistic, but its the first link I found. 

https://store.garagistic.com/BMW-diff-stud-conversion-kit-e30-e28-z3?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4fHkBRDcARIsACV58_HlwOZhgpvBybv8igxq5I90pJ9DMKhVhUsoChYkXXN-zwTl2CTIkiYaAgIKEALw_wcB

Condor makes a stud kit if I recall correctly. Since I'm getting all my bushings and such from them, probably throw that in the cart as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, everything aside from the front carpet is out. Driving the compact for a bit now in preparation for parking the M3 and yanking its guts out. 

The compact still has a nasty air bubble in the cooling system. Luckily, no leaks (fluid at least, havent pressure tested) and no bad head gasket. Gonna do the whole goofy bleed procedure tonight. 

Also, swapped over my M3 mirrors and threw my harness in just for funsies. Yes, I know a harness on a stock seat is wack. Still waiting to pick up the floor mounts from @wasnt m3.  Progress is good. Looking forward to diving into deleting all un-needed wiring and what not in the cabin. 

received_567440580433112.thumb.jpeg.3a99ead56c5cabdffd64f3c9f74e0923.jpeg

Made a bunch of progress on my exhaust. It's kinda rice sounding. Gonna try to fix that by pulling an E39 and adding a scuba tank resonator at the back. It's a downpipe back 2.25" system with a center glasspack and a high flow muffler. All exhaust tubing from the downpipe (formerly cat) back is all new. Will post pics of system when it's complete. Heres a picture of the car as it sits now.

20190414_103226.thumb.jpg.75ffbbc69e5be40071e1788bdc14e51e.jpg

Needs to be lowered badly. Working on that as well. 

3 minutes ago, B C said:

Swap by E30 picnic.....or bust!

DS2s are the best E36 wheel

1. Ugggggggggh

2. S'okay

The likelyhood of it being swapped by the picnic are slim to none. I'm shooting for July to be honest. If I can do it sooner, I will. Just need some extra hands *cough cough literally anyone cough*