WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Back from the dead or something.

rampelsauce

I did a do. 

20180811_143625.thumb.jpg.c626d479352797f0b097596951689318.jpg

So I'm back, but this time with a running car that I plan on sticking with.  So far:

-AC delete

-ASC delete

-Racing Dynamics Strut Bar

-"Fogged" intake mod

-Z3 short shifter Garagistic shift carrier bushings

-Secondary Air Pump Delete

Slowly getting rid of stuff before I start adding stuff.  Working on a custom collector back 2.25" exhaust with a resonator and maybe a muffler depend on how I feel about the noise.  Plan is koni yellows with H&R race springs.  Lots more I'm thinking about, but the future isn't set in stone.  I like this one though, so we'll see where I decide to go.

1 hour ago, SteelBlue said:

I've definitely come around to these the more I have seen them. They seem like they would be fun with the M42.

The 96+ have the M44. The ideal setup is with the DASC (Downing Atlanta Supercharger). With some tuning you can see 240 whp. That's kinda the plan if I can pick up a used M44 to rebuild over the winter while the car is parked.

2 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Is this the one that was on CL for quite a while? @Earl has a doppelgänger now

Yeah, out near Madison. Had some issues that I had to square away but I got it for a song and it is remarkably clean. 

It's super fun to beat on, m44 feels healthy, just needs a 373 LSD and a light flywheel to really wake up the drivetrain. I'm sure going full poly is going to help quite a bit as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Also, beat on the M3 on some snowy roads. Was very fun. Getting super itchy to tear into the compact and start gutting the interior.

IMG_20190128_195324_490.thumb.jpg.4bd7e7ec7c8f23a893d30f8a4d2f4afa.jpg

Ordered some side mounts today, going to test fit it up in the M3. Also got a hub adapter for a wheel I'm trading for. Doing some powder coat for another wibimmer, @gilber33

If it warms up I'll be throwing some powder on my DS2s and attempting to send them down the road to buy Kosei K1s for the compact.  Working on a guy to buy a rear subframe assembly out of a compact so I can build it outside of the car. That's all I know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Test fitting everything in the M3 prior to the compact install. 

20190211_093206.thumb.jpg.1d068989fbbc37625bda082444075cb7.jpg

Traded some powder coating for a steering wheel. Nice fit with the NRG shorty hub. I believe it's a 100mm offset. 350mm wheel. Pretty comfy and no t rex arms. 

Next will be installing my Sparco seat. I have my side mounts and my harness now, just need the floor mounts. If I can't find some I'll have to sway @wasnt m3 to long term lend me his in exchange for money. 

• 3 weeks later...

20190304_152057.thumb.jpg.d5690e0fa9fff1dcff248a6a143b8437.jpg

Feeling super hard right now about these 2nd Air Pump delete things. Also in the mail is my ASC delete hoses from FCP Euro. Gonna tinker with the S52 a bit while it's in the M3. Removing stuff that won't be transferred to the compact is the name of the game. If I had a warm place to tear apart the compact, I'd be pulling the front end, motor/trans, and complete interior. Here's hoping weather gets a bit better so I can get out and get wrenching. 

Weather was okay so I decided to do my ASC throttle body delete. Ordered the hoses from FCP Euro, and got myself a shirt as well. Super nice shirt, highly recommended. 

received_411828096250640.thumb.jpeg.2aba5eaf559a01e5e843edff1b6b97e0.jpeg

IMG_20190309_120149_181.thumb.jpg.0cec6521a8e6749518325f80b2ac18a6.jpg

Cleaned up the area nicely. While I was poking around I noticed that I had some neato pulley on the front of the engine that I hadn't seen before. 

20190309_110608.thumb.jpg.bf6a165946d289321daca5bf03d57ecc.jpg

Appears to be an ECS unit. Super interesting. Just need to delete my secondary air pump next. I know it's not a performance mod per se, but it is a dont have to worry about it mod when swap time comes. Hoping to pull the front end off the compact soon if the weather cooperates. Come on spring!