Jump to content
WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community
  • 0
P_Roloff

School me on e34’s

Question

At the end of the week, my father and maybe me will be heading to look at a new daily driver for me and my brother. It’s a 1995 525i, 5 speed, black on tan, 68k miles. 

I’ve done a little bit of research, and it seems like the cooling system and front suspension are really important to check, along with rust under the lower door trim. Anything else I really need to look at, or more precisely, have him look at? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
9 minutes ago, YoungCR said:

That's pretty low mileage! That will have a Vanos M50 so all typical issues apply to that. Suspension will probably need work sooner or later just because of age. If it's rust free do everything you can to keep it that way.

Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll at least do a visual inspection of the bushings and stuff to see if they're crumbling, might give us some leverage on price though if they are. You have any strategies for keeping the rust away other than obsessive washing? Anything I should POR-15?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

E34's seem to be a well designed chassis that doesn't have many notorious issues.
The motors are solid, cooling stuff can go bad yes, but such is BMW.
Lower door rust is a very common thing, and with the price they are asking I would ensure that there is zero rust.

With that age and lower mileage I would suspect a lot of bushings needing to be replaced sooner than later, as German rubber seems to like degrading when sitting.

Nice looking car though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll at least do a visual inspection of the bushings and stuff to see if they're crumbling, might give us some leverage on price though if they are. You have any strategies for keeping the rust away other than obsessive washing? Anything I should POR-15?

Por-15 underbody, paint protection/maintenance and making sure all the door gaskets are healthy is the best bet. If the window and door handle trim gaskets leak then the doors will rust from excessive washing 🙄

Being a '95 you'll wanna make sure all the door locking mechanisms are in order so that EWS behaves correctly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

You have any strategies for keeping the rust away other than obsessive washing? Anything I should POR-15?

Por-15 is nice for untreated or rusty surfaces. Undercoat any areas that seam "thin" would be ideal. There is a product called "Bosheild T-9" that I use on undercarriages and I swear by it. Its similar to a wax sealant. You can find it online or at boat supply stores.

https://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/

 

Image result for boeshield t-9

 

Otherwise that car is in stunning condition, I doubt it will bring many, if any, surprises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

the e34 body/chassis doesn't really have any rust weak spots, beyond the door issue.

I'd deem m50/5 speed as the most wallet-friendly combination you can have an e34. (cheaper maintenance, best mpgs)

For 4,700 though, i'd be looking at 4-door e30s, unless you need the size. The only reason to choose an e34 over an e30 is size. They don't really have more features for the added maintenance cost. You'll pay a lot more for an e34 over its lifespan, even being a low-mileage example  (ask me how i know!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

E34's seem to be a well designed chassis that doesn't have many notorious issues.
The motors are solid, cooling stuff can go bad yes, but such is BMW.
Lower door rust is a very common thing, and with the price they are asking I would ensure that there is zero rust.

With that age and lower mileage I would suspect a lot of bushings needing to be replaced sooner than later, as German rubber seems to like degrading when sitting.

Nice looking car though!

Guess I'll plan on bushings sometime down the line.

4 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Por-15 underbody, paint protection/maintenance and making sure all the door gaskets are healthy is the best bet. If the window and door handle trim gaskets leak then the doors will rust from excessive washing 🙄

Being a '95 you'll wanna make sure all the door locking mechanisms are in order so that EWS behaves correctly. 

Door and door handle gaskets, I'll make sure to check. Good call on the EWS, I didn't know these had anything like that.

3 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Por-15 is nice for untreated or rusty surfaces. Undercoat any areas that seam "thin" would be ideal. There is a product called "Bosheild T-9" that I use on undercarriages and I swear by it. Its similar to a wax sealant. You can find it online or at boat supply stores.

https://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/

Otherwise that car is in stunning condition, I doubt it will bring many, if any, surprises.

I'll make sure to pick up a few cans and do that, good idea.

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

the e34 body/chassis doesn't really have any rust weak spots, beyond the door issue.

I'd deem m50/5 speed as the most wallet-friendly combination you can have an e34. (cheaper maintenance, best mpgs)

For 4,700 though, i'd be looking at 4-door e30s, unless you need the size. The only reason to choose an e34 over an e30 is size. They don't really have more features for the added maintenance cost. You'll pay a lot more for an e34 over its lifespan, even being a low-mileage example  (ask me how i know!)

The larger size is preferred, this is going to be our car for longer trips and hauling more crap, and I don't think an e30 would be quite big enough. Finding a comparable e30 in terms of condition, mileage, lack of rust, etc. is going to be a bit more than $4700 as well, at least around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×