WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New Ride: e46 330i ZHP

Boris3

I needed something as a longer distance / more civilized daily that would fit in the fleet between the well worn 318is (not for sale so stop asking šŸ˜) and the first gen Tundra tow vehicle, sooo welcome to a 2004 330i ZHP, 6MT, 154k, slicktop, leather, and a few more tweaks. California car until late 2011, and little negative effect from being in WI since. I'm sorting through a few things like the zkw headlight curse and catching up on changes in technology since the e30 era.

Ā 

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

Thanks. That one popped up a few days later, and had me wondering as well. Sale season on silvergray/leather zhps??Ā  Can't tell if it's got a sunroof or that's just building reflection. Looks in good shape and has the cold weather package which I don't. Mine also had the steering wheel replaced with a leather one early on due to Alcantera wear/fade in the California sun.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

Thanks. That one popped up a few days later, and had me wondering as well. Sale season on silvergray/leather zhps??Ā  Can't tell if it's got a sunroof or that's just building reflection. Looks in good shape and has the cold weather package which I don't. Mine also had the steering wheel replaced with a leather one early on due to Alcantera wear/fade in the California sun.Ā 

Both seem like nice cars, hopefully you got yours for a little cheaper! If not, it's still a solid car in this price range. Enjoy it.

How much is the going price on a ZHP? One popped up on craigslist near me and Im considering going to take a look at it.

6speed Red,Ā  Black Leather with 134k. Has some track mods done to it aswell! Tc Kline coils, Custom 3 inch exhaust, a bunch of stuff.

Owned by a bmw master tech for 5-6 years before the guy who owns it now bought it.

Car sounds worth a look!

As forĀ pricing mods may not help value. Depends if buyer is looking for closer to stock or modified for track use. Different buyer pools and what they are comparing it to.

BaT auctions of late have been from mid-7s and higherĀ for cars closer to stock. Take a look also at for sale threads on zhpmafia and e46 fanatics. Lot of ads around $8k +/-

This one? https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/d/2003-bmw-330i-zhp-track-car/6695734313.html

Looks like fun. Get your helmet and ready to play. Find out more about the recent work that's been done, and the track history : how many and what type of events on the current set up (to make sure that all the work has actually been tested), any contact incidents.Ā  Do you have to pass emissions where you're located? Think about your plans for the car, track toy or daily and if the latter are the mods a good fit for you.

Picked up a set of used AL bixenons yesterday.Ā  Everything works, came with bulbs, trim, turn signals, etc.Ā 

Light on the left is how they came out of the parts car, light on the right is cleaned up a bit.

image.jpeg

Did a test of the new lights again. By comparison the old ZKW is on the passenger side. The ZKW Bixenon projector bowls were burnt on both sides.Ā 

image.jpeg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_2237.JPG

Also found some interesting DIY mounting on the driver's side, mounting bracket was broken and creatively propped up with a rubber piece and a few sheet metal screws.Ā  Also no upper headlight gaskets on either side which may explain some of the condensation issues.Ā  IMG_2238.JPG

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_2235.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Found a littleĀ surprise when working on the headlights, not only was the driver's headlight assembly and mounting bracket busted but the small front end accident in FebruaryĀ had pushed it or the lower snorkel into theĀ airbox cracking the whole front. EngineĀ had been sucking air directly from the bay bypassing the air filter since the hit and the issueĀ wasn't addressed in the repairs.IMG_2241.JPG

Top and dirty filter in the pic belowĀ are from the replacement box. Top and filter on the car were fine but the bottom of the boxĀ was pretty trashed.

IMG_2244.JPG

Replaced the lower box, finally got the upper headlight gaskets to finish the AL headlight swap replacing the ZKWs, picked up the correct front plate bracket for the zhp bumper and good to go. Light is good!!

IMG_2251.JPG

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• 1 month later...

Started in on cooling system refresh yesterday. Car needed a little love. Hoses, thermostat, and radiator were original from 2003 build date; expansion tank was 2011; not sure on age of waterpump (INA brand) looks like it has the newer composite impeller but loose shaft and plastic WP pulley was fused on to the rusted face; idler/tensioner pulleys all had bearing noise.Ā  Hope to get back to it tonight to finish up.

Pulling the plastic belly pan reveals assorted other things to deal with in the future like OFH and leaking PS pressure hose assembly.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2272.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Suspension recommendations for an e46 zhp? This won't see track use just daily. Shocks look to be originals,Ā no leaks or bounce while driving but push down on the fender is easyĀ and itĀ springs back without any sense of a shock doing its job.Ā 

Plan to stay with stock springs and ride height.

Also getting some front end clunks over bumps soĀ need to take a closer look at FCABS, sway bar end links, maybe control arms, etc.

Suggestions welcomed.