WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 Skid Plates

SteelBlue

I have a re46 for an M42 sitting on my shelf that I was going to install before deciding to do a swap, it's very nicely made and from what I remember it was a decent price. I am now planning to get an HIKfab severe duty skidplate, @straight6pwr really likes his and I have seen it in action, it's a beast. 

http://hikfabrication.com/arvixe/Skid_Platee30-325-318-m3-race-track-m14-m40-m20-m10-m30-m50-s50-s52-m52-s14.html

Might be a little overkill, but with cost of e34 m50 oil pans (and motors for that matter) it would be nice to not have to worry at all 

39 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

I have a re46 for an M42 sitting on my shelf that I was going to install before deciding to do a swap, it's very nicely made and from what I remember it was a decent price. I am now planning to get an HIKfab severe duty skidplate, @straight6pwr really likes his and I have seen it in action, it's a beast. 

http://hikfabrication.com/arvixe/Skid_Platee30-325-318-m3-race-track-m14-m40-m20-m10-m30-m50-s50-s52-m52-s14.html

Might be a little overkill, but with e34 m50 oil pans (and motors for that matter) it would be nice to not have to worry at all 

That one is a beast and works. I have the Red46 on the 318is with the stock m42 and it's been fine. I also have the Race Skids plate on the e30 m20 track car, the slotted plate lets more air flow to the pan which helps with cooling issues. It has saved the pan when skating across concrete track gators, and the pan, radiator support and subframe in a few off track contact incidents.

Still comparisons of the Race Skids and the HIKfab plate as far as ability to take abuse have the latter winning due to welding to the frame rails. If you're looking for the toughest plate that would be the one.   

the HIK fab plate is the strongest plate you can buy. it's good peace-of-mind: i hit stuff all the time and don't worry. my last e30 hit a freeway barrier at 70mph on the front end and i was able to sell the skid plate because it survived.

the install is not permanent. you weld mounts to the bottom of the frame rails then the hoop bar bolts to those mounts:

LCx45Q7l.jpg

and the plate bolts to the subframe. it doesnt take long to unbolt the whole thing to drop the motor or whatever.

qg0ZgXnl.jpg

it hasnt been in the way of doing any work, either

I currently dont have a skid plate installed as I never drive my car. But when I did/do I didnt really worry to much because my pan is a stamped piece of steel. :D

But in all honesty I do have the Roadmaster RSP Race Skid from ECS (very similar to the Red46) and its saved me many times. I have literally caught air and was sure something would be destroyed and everything was fine minus a few small scratches on the plate.

With that said, the HIK fab would be my vote for the best as well because its bolted/welded to a more structural portion of the car. 

Here's what I have: http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01bf511d4da3315c66902d6.r6.cf1.rackcdn.com/E30-M42.pdf

3 hours ago, m42b32 said:

I ordered the HIKfab severe duty skid plate for my car yesterday, the peace of mind is definitely worth the extra cost in my opinion. Plus it can be used as an extra jacking point!

I think this is what I am leaning to from hearing everything hear and reading else where.

The money up front is worth the peace of mind and not having to buy a new oil pan.