WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Let's talk "DETAILING"

Jdesign

Question

What do you guys use for detailing products?

Are there brands you would suggest or prefer?

Are there brands or products you would suggest staying away from?

How well do they work on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the best?

Exterior(washing) - Detergents / Soaps / Wax / Protectants / etc

-Application tools  - Mits / Sponges / Towels / Microfibers / etc

Exterior (polishing)- Compounds / Sealants / Protectants / etc

-Application tools  - Buffer (single or dual action) / Applicators / Towels / Microfibers / etc

Interior - Carpet cleaners / Dash cleaners / Protectantants / Leather products / etc

-Application tools  - Brushes / Towels / Microfibers / Steamers / etc    

Image result for before and after car sealantRelated imageImage result for car interior detailing before and after

14 answers to this question

I like Meguiar's for exterior cleaner. Car soap, cutting compound, polish, and wax. I think I have the rotary wheel from Harbor Freight or Home Depot, it's cheap regardless. I use pads from HF.

I don't really have a clay bar in particular I prefer, just make sure to get a white one for black cars and purple for anything else.

For interior, I recently picked up some Griot's Garage interior cleaner and leather cleaner. I love how the interior cleaner has worked on the different surfaces in the F30, does not leave any streaks or residue. The leather cleaner has a good scent and does a good job cleaning the surface without being greasy. I am going to look at picking up some of their exterior stuff in the future.

I use basic window cleaner and window rags for anything window or glossy surface related.

I have a shop vac with various hose attachments for all of my vacuuming needs.

I detailed cars at Bergstrom for almost 4 years so maybe I will do a write up in the future on what my process is for doing a full detail on a car and what I have found works best over the years.

Exterior

Meguiars Deep Crystal Clear soap

Meguiars Mirror Glaze Polish

Some kind of liquid wax either Meguiars Gold Class or Zymol

Mothers Speed Clay 2.0

Some cheap 6"orbital from Direct Tools outlet in Johnson Creek

Orbital covers from Farm and Fleet

Meguairs Quick Detailer for touch ups between washes

Rain-X Glass Cleaner + Rain Repellent

Interior

Griots interior cleaner

Blue Magic leather cleaner and conditioner (I need to upgrade this area)

The orbital made my life sooo much easier but I'd like to move up to the 10" orbital to cover more area faster.  I had never clay barred my car until my wife's uncle told me they use these Mother's Speed clay's at the body shop he works at where they do quite a few classic cars throughout the year.  I bought one and it was awesome!  The paint is so smooth after using it and water beads up nicely.  I'd like to step my game up on the interior and look at new leather care products.  The Blue Magic isn't bad but I just feel like I could be using a better product.  It doesn't leave the leather glossy or oily and the smell isn't overpowering.  I love the Griots interior cleaner for the same reasons SteelBlue does.

Can't remember the soap I use, but I usually do a 2 bucket wash with a microfiber wash mitt and some really thick and plush microfibers for drying.

Meguiars M105/M205 for compound and polish.

Meguiars #21 synthetic sealant 2.0. I used a microfiber applicator block to put this on, worked really well.

Mothers California Gold clay bar kit, with the Mothers quick detailer.

I just have a cheap HF dual action polisher, but I went to Body Shop Supply and got Meguiars backing plates in the 3" and 6" sizes and Lake Country/3M pads. A little expensive, but I didn't want to wait for stuff to be shipped when I was doing it.

I just use the blue magic stuff for the seats like @patsbimmer1, and Swiffer dust cloths for all hard surfaces, the seem to work well. The interior detailing is where I need some advice and recommendations. 

1 hour ago, P_Roloff said:

Can't remember the soap I use, but I usually do a 2 bucket wash with a microfiber wash mitt and some really thick and plush microfibers for drying.

Meguiars M105/M205 for compound and polish.

Meguiars #21 synthetic sealant 2.0. I used a microfiber applicator block to put this on, worked really well.

Mothers California Gold clay bar kit, with the Mothers quick detailer.

I just have a cheap HF dual action polisher, but I went to Body Shop Supply and got Meguiars backing plates in the 3" and 6" sizes and Lake Country/3M pads. A little expensive, but I didn't want to wait for stuff to be shipped when I was doing it.

I just use the blue magic stuff for the seats like @patsbimmer1, and Swiffer dust cloths for all hard surfaces, the seem to work well. The interior detailing is where I need some advice and recommendations. 

3M Pads are what I have used as well as 3M perfect it. I have yet to find anything that I can compare to the 3M perfect it as far as look and ease of use/application. 

What sparked my interest in creating this thread was that I have seen ALOT of information regarding "Ceramic" products for sealing surfaces. It seems like there is a lot of back and forth about "Quartz Ceramic Pro"  and similar products and whether its a gimmick/marketing scheme or if it really does work like they explain it to. 

Do any of you guys have thoughts on this?

Wash car?  What is that?  When i didn't have kids I used to detail my vehicles.

I mostly use Griot's garage products.  I like the one step sealant, which is a fine polish and sealant in one.  It shines the paint up really well and lasts.  Their clay is nice and you get a big chunk.  The interior cleaner and leather rejuvenator is great too, it smells great.  Obviously it only gets into the actual leather if your topcoating is old and imperfect.  I apply it on a hot day and let the car bake in the sun for the rest of the day.

Griot's garage website also has some nice guides on using their products.  I'm no expert but I have not been disappointed by anything I bought from them.  Their microfiber towels are the best I have found anywhere.

1 hour ago, jc43089 said:

Wash car?  What is that?  When i didn't have kids I used to detail my vehicles.

I mostly use Griot's garage products.  I like the one step sealant, which is a fine polish and sealant in one.  It shines the paint up really well and lasts.  Their clay is nice and you get a big chunk.  The interior cleaner and leather rejuvenator is great too, it smells great.  Obviously it only gets into the actual leather if your topcoating is old and imperfect.  I apply it on a hot day and let the car bake in the sun for the rest of the day.

Griot's garage website also has some nice guides on using their products.  I'm no expert but I have not been disappointed by anything I bought from them.  Their microfiber towels are the best I have found anywhere.

Griots is nice stuff. I get their catalog. 

I just have a guy for this who's been running a detailing business doing it himself for 20 years. I used to try and detail my own cars but it's an art unto itself. I've yet to meet any car enthusiast who can take care of their own shit as well and as efficiently as a properly experienced detailer can. 

I will say I keep all my cars ceramic coated, but not with Quartz. My detailer has access to better product. Few things are as beneficial as a properly applied, quality ceramic coat. You basically never have to physically touch the car again when you wash it, and you can just loosely pull a high quality micro across and it will pull the water right off when you're drying. I've taken video of the wash being applied to my cars with ceramic on as well and you have never seen water bead off of a car so nicely. I don't consider it anecdotal because I have it applied to my E92, my S4, and my Pilot. Completely different vehicles and different types of paint. Same result regardless. 

Also while not as strong as PPF, I have 7 coats of ceramic on the hood and fenders of the E92, and I have had several rocks get flung at my car from semis that scuffed the ceramic but didn't break through to the clear. My detailer only had to reapply a small amount of ceramic after buffing the area. Some people will tell you that ceramic does 0 to protect against rock chips and that is 100% bullshit. It helps. 

23 hours ago, YoungCR said:

@i_love_cars whats the cost on the ceramic coating? When I have cars with paint worth of this treatment I will be going that route. Also how does it hold up on the pilot as far as winter driving goes?

I would like to hear this as well. Because from what I have read its about $1000 to get a car done correctly.

Yup $1000 is the going rate for a properly applied, quality product. 

A year-round car should definitely see 3+ years before needing new ceramic, if it is garaged and you keep up on washes. People who neglect their cars in winter and wash them once every 1-2 months, and/or park the cars outside where they are constantly battered by the elements - there is a significant reduction in life expectancy on the ceramic at that point. Washing the car regularly and not letting it get abused by the elements are the biggest factors because at the end of the day, it's the breakdown of the ceramic that you're concerned with, which salt, road debris, and sun all play a factor in depending on the time of year. We run the Pilot through a wash weekly during winter, and if there is ever a really bad bout of weather that causes excessive salt to be dropped, then it gets washed sometimes twice a week. I've had ceramic on the Pilot for over 2 years now and it hasn't had to be re-applied. 

@YoungCR @Jdesign