WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New guy with a little e30 318i

Hey everyone!

I actually joined the forum a few months ago as I met Brian. He directed me to your community here, but I never introduced myself. My name is Matt and I am new to the BMW forum as well as being new to BMW ownership. I bought my first Bimmer last August and she's a wimpy, but cute, little red '92 e30 318i vert. I'm a local to Milwaukee, born and raised, and I was looking for a place to get more involved in the auto industry. This seems like as good a place as any!

I also [used to] write articles and post them to my blog (hate that word) of industry news, features, etc. My website is downshiftmke.com if any of you are interested in checking it out. My latest work has been a more visual medium since no one likes to read these days. Admittedly, a lot of my initial work was garbage, but I'm happier with the way things are developing more recently. I recently filmed an F80 M3 which was a lot of fun, and this week I'm releasing a comparison video of that M3 going head-to-head with an Alfa Giulia QV which is my best work yet.

Here's the link to the M3 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdCtiK8_r0U

(I'll include a link to the comp video if you guys are interested)

Let me know if you think it's garbage or if it doesn't completely offend you! I'd always prefer the latter, but I'd like to improve my craft so any feedback is welcomed!

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi! 

Matt

IMG_5601.JPG

welcome! glad to see another e30 on board.

and nice video. constructive criticism: the spinning transition is a bit nauseating. since your content is good i think simple transitions will hold their own. i like your simple, honest video titles and cover images and that you havent fallen into the youtube obnoxiousness by giving your videos click-bait titles and cover images.

20 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

welcome! glad to see another e30 on board.

and nice video. constructive criticism: the spinning transition is a bit nauseating. since your content is good i think simple transitions will hold their own. i like your simple, honest video titles and cover images and that you havent fallen into the youtube obnoxiousness by giving your videos click-bait titles and cover images.

Thanks! I do appreciate the feedback. I was playing with transitions for the last couple videos, but I think you're right. Less is more. Thanks again for watching and commenting!

18 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Welcome to here! Nice 318i, the m42 is a great engine in the e30 chassis and you can really have a lot of fun with it! Any plans with it or just enjoy as is?

Thanks! As of now, nothing too major. Simple repairs getting myself acclimated to the mechanics and anatomy of an engine, suspension, etc. Also it's hard to have too many plans when you're two years out of school and still mildly impoverished haha. Ultimately I'd love to do an engine swap down the road, but that's still an intimidating notion as this is my first Bimmer and I have much to learn.

On 7/24/2018 at 12:34 PM, snap said:

Here's to a guy who is chasing his dreams, not giving up on them like I have :D

Glad you are here, friend!  

His dreams are already a reality - he has a running E30. 

My parents live in New Berlin, i grew up there and visit Snap often when I take the kids to see the grandparents. 

As far as the video goes, I'm not trying to discourage you, but I'm going to challenge you to think about what really makes your content any different than the other 8070970980 "car review" channels on YouTard nowadays. Everyone basically says the same things about the same cars. In my opinion, savagegeese has probably the best YouTard channel for car reviews because he is doing it truly differently than everyone else - his opinions are truly his perspective as opposed to regurgitated stats about cars that so many people use as filler content, and he has branched into different types of car content with things like his "Fine Print" series. 

There's too much saturation on YouTard with the car scene right now and like any other group of people on the planet, there's a few winners and a whole lot of losers. I watched your M3 video and to me it was like any of the other 500 F8x M3 videos I've seen. I admittedly kept yours unmuted for longer than anyone else because you didn't have much footage of the awful exhaust note. I also wholly disagree with the F8x platform as a whole, which is why I have a supercharged E92 and daily an S4 because even on the best of days I could only see using the F8x as a daily, but it's not that good at being a daily compared to other cars out there like the S4. I'm salty because BMW has lost me as a customer completely at this point, though, and I really want to like the F8x M3 but I just can't do it anymore with the shit cars they are producing nowadays. 

Welcome to the forum. PM me where you live in New Berlin we can meet up sometime maybe with Snap too. 

On 7/25/2018 at 7:59 PM, i_love_cars said:

His dreams are already a reality - he has a running E30. 

My parents live in New Berlin, i grew up there and visit Snap often when I take the kids to see the grandparents. 

As far as the video goes, I'm not trying to discourage you, but I'm going to challenge you to think about what really makes your content any different than the other 8070970980 "car review" channels on YouTard nowadays. Everyone basically says the same things about the same cars. In my opinion, savagegeese has probably the best YouTard channel for car reviews because he is doing it truly differently than everyone else - his opinions are truly his perspective as opposed to regurgitated stats about cars that so many people use as filler content, and he has branched into different types of car content with things like his "Fine Print" series. 

There's too much saturation on YouTard with the car scene right now and like any other group of people on the planet, there's a few winners and a whole lot of losers. I watched your M3 video and to me it was like any of the other 500 F8x M3 videos I've seen. I admittedly kept yours unmuted for longer than anyone else because you didn't have much footage of the awful exhaust note. I also wholly disagree with the F8x platform as a whole, which is why I have a supercharged E92 and daily an S4 because even on the best of days I could only see using the F8x as a daily, but it's not that good at being a daily compared to other cars out there like the S4. I'm salty because BMW has lost me as a customer completely at this point, though, and I really want to like the F8x M3 but I just can't do it anymore with the shit cars they are producing nowadays. 

Welcome to the forum. PM me where you live in New Berlin we can meet up sometime maybe with Snap too. 

Well I have to say I genuinely appreciate the feedback. You're entirely correct, there are sooo many people doing the same thing and I worry about my stuff being white noise. The last couple weeks I've been trying to find a direction as my channel grows (albeit slowly). I'd be interested in picking your brain and seeing what people like yourself would like to see. The issue is, based on my findings in my analytics, my videos are consumed predominantly by your average joe who is looking for a Japanese econobox with Car Play. Those people want specs, features, and a mild test drive impression. In any case, thanks for the feedback!

• 3 weeks later...