Jump to content
WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Finally Joined the Longroof Club


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, m42b32 said:

101.5k

 

50319990366_965c716f60_c.jpg

Lame. 

One of the rear wheels cracked bad enough to give me a flat tire yesterday. Apparently 19" style 225M and 313's have a reputation for fatigue cracks on the barrels. It cracked right alongside a previous repair (you can sort of see the weld just to the right), so it was probably only a matter of time. I'm having a very hard time trying to find a not cracked replacement so it might be time to start looking for some new wheels...

 

If you ARE looking to get the crack fixed, I know a guy who does awesome work. He fixed a crack/gouge on the set of ZHP wheels I bought for my touring. Just a thought if you were thinking of going that route. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So over the past two years or so I have been casually searching for a BMW touring. This is partly because of the fact that I am always borrowing more spacious cars from my parents/girlfriend/etc to mo

Nothing exciting, just driving it a lot! Definitely have some maintenance to do as soon as it starts getting warmer. I haven't taken any good pics lately but my dad snapped this nice one last weekend:

The car has been dropped off at BMW Milwaukee North last night. I just got a call back after an initial diagnostic check and the exhaust vanos actuator is not functioning properly. They can't verify t

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

If you ARE looking to get the crack fixed, I know a guy who does awesome work. He fixed a crack/gouge on the set of ZHP wheels I bought for my touring. Just a thought if you were thinking of going that route. 

My first choice would be to have it welded (depending on cost), I reached out to one place but would love a recommendation! I'll text you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

I've used Milwaukee Alloy Wheel Repair in the past with good results. Also, there's a shop in west allis that welded a few wheels for me at my old job, somewhere off Lincoln in west allis. I'd have to do some digging since it was basically someone doing side jobs out of their work place. 

I did reach out to them, they said the crack might be too bad to repair unfortunately. Once I get the tire taken off they can make a final judgement but they did say it's usually worse on the inside so I'm not too optimistic. I was planning to get it pulled off this week and follow up with them. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

104k

 

50993763137_1ff56d26a5_b.jpg

 

It wouldn't start in the sub-zero temps we had for a few weeks which was annoying. The battery was replaced at the dealer not long before I bought it but I think it is a low cold cranking amp version as the car was previously in CA/NM. Now that the weather has warmed up it starts the car and holds a charge perfectly fine, which means I can ignore it till next winter lol. 

 

Way back in October I swapped my winter setup to a set of 17x7.5 MSW wheels with Continental Wintercontact SI tires in 205/50/17 somewhere around 102k. The bigger wheels will clear the 335 brakes I have sitting in boxes waiting to be installed in the spring. Pretty happy overall with the new combo, road noise is definitely higher and the grip in the snow isn't quite as good the altimax's, but they're a bit less squirmy (maybe from shorter sidewalls) and I put together the whole setup for pretty cheap. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

Are those 10' boards?

It's 8 2x8x8' boards, they stopped right at the back of the front seats. I just noticed it looks like they went to the dash because I had 5 more 1x2x8' that I didn't need to have hanging out the back haha. I DID however bring home a couple 16 foot baseboards a couple months ago but forgot to take a picture. Those went on the dash and then out the hatch window another 8 feet haha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

It's 8 2x8x8' boards, they stopped right at the back of the front seats. I just noticed it looks like they went to the dash because I had 5 more 1x2x8' that I didn't need to have hanging out the back haha. I DID however bring home a couple 16 foot baseboards a couple months ago but forgot to take a picture. Those went on the dash and then out the hatch window another 8 feet haha. 

Okay. That makes way more sense. lol. I can have 8' boards sit right between the front seats and be completely in the car. And I was thinking there's NO way that my car is that much longer than yours. 

 

On a side note - how much have all of your DIY projects gone up in price with the price of wood being fucked? I started on our basement and have bought somewhere around 50 2x4x10, 20 8'ers, and then a variety of green treated stuff and what I paid now is SO much more than what I priced out 9 months ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Okay. That makes way more sense. lol. I can have 8' boards sit right between the front seats and be completely in the car. And I was thinking there's NO way that my car is that much longer than yours. 

 

On a side note - how much have all of your DIY projects gone up in price with the price of wood being fucked? I started on our basement and have bought somewhere around 50 2x4x10, 20 8'ers, and then a variety of green treated stuff and what I paid now is SO much more than what I priced out 9 months ago. 

Lumber prices have gotten absolutely ridiculous! The 2x8's pictured there were the cheapest I could find and it was still over $100 just for those. The pressure treated stuff is even worse. I've gotten good at recycling what I tear out from elsewhere in the house haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Lumber prices have gotten absolutely ridiculous! The 2x8's pictured there were the cheapest I could find and it was still over $100 just for those. The pressure treated stuff is even worse. I've gotten good at recycling what I tear out from elsewhere in the house haha

Yeah, my dad is in residential construction and he said the other night prices have gone up around 70% for framing lumber for him compared to pre-pandemic cost. It's obviously factored into bids now, but the price increase when he had houses in progress sure sucked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Lumber prices have gotten absolutely ridiculous! The 2x8's pictured there were the cheapest I could find and it was still over $100 just for those. The pressure treated stuff is even worse. I've gotten good at recycling what I tear out from elsewhere in the house haha

I grabbed 6 2x4x8's yesterday and they were $40. wtf. 

17 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Yeah, my dad is in residential construction and he said the other night prices have gone up around 70% for framing lumber for him compared to pre-pandemic cost. It's obviously factored into bids now, but the price increase when he had houses in progress sure sucked.

That's exactly what happened to us. We signed our contract before the prices went up and we ended up using our total framing/exterior budget on basically the rough framing. We still had to buy all the siding and all the carport material. It was awful and sent us quite a ways over budget very quickly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

104.1k

Summer mode! After about 4 months of searching and not finding any good alternatives, I finally sourced a 225m rear wheel. It is the rear wheel from an X1 m-sport so the size is 19x9 et41 vs. 19x9 et39 for the e9x rear wheel. The new wheel has a date stamp from 2014 whereas the old wheel is 2009, and appears to be a revised casting so we will see if the barrel holds up any better than the very crack-prone e90 variant. Its not necessarily ideal, but I solved the offset issue with a 5mm spacer on the X1 wheel, and a 3mm spacer on the e90 wheel. The concavity of each is exactly the same, so there is no way to tell the difference once they're mounted. I also added a pair of 10mm spacers to the front that I had sitting around. It is a very small change with the spacers but I think it makes a big difference!

50997283900_a3b6179ef2_c.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Interesting that the offset is different since the x1 is e90 based. Can you still get those wheels new?

Yeah I was surprised they went through the effort to have a whole different wheel with a 2mm offset difference. They are available new, but are $600 each. 

 

11 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Interesting. Any reason (cost?) to not just go with a pair of replacements and run sans spacers/equal spacers? Looks great though, I’ve always though that e90’s and wagons in particular seem to have really sunken wheels from the factory. 

Cost... home renovations are expensive, gotta pinch those pennies for now! It's not ideal, but it works. I also want to see how these X1 wheels hold up, so its sort of a long term experiment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.