WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Finally Joined the Longroof Club

m42b32

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to doing the brakes over the last couple months as they were properly worn out. I built up a sandblasting cabinet over the summer and stripped/painted the 335i calipers and caliper brackets and rebuilt with new seals/boots/guides/hardware. I also painted them gold because I wanted a little color and liked the look of the oem BMW performance brake kit that's painted in phoenix yellow. I installed everything along with new rotors/pads/outer rubber lines and a fluid flush. Because of the larger calipers I coded in the performance brake option to the vehicle order that adjusts the bias/pedal feel/abs/etc. to match the larger brakes. Overall a massive improvement, should've done it way sooner. 

52635423853_7647728113_c.jpg

52635428558_dd00bea98e_b.jpg

I also bought a new daily about a month ago. I've had a weird itch to get into something manual/4x4 for a while and more recently my wife and I decided we needed something a bit bigger for road trips. Decided it was time to scratch that itch and after a lot of searching I got a bit lucky (given the current car market) and ended up picking up a manual '22 Bronco Badlands out in Seattle. I've been really enjoying it so far.

52634998346_414b571d93_c.jpg

The sad news is that the Bronco will be replacing the wagon so unfortunately that's where my time in the Longroof club ends.... or so I thought. After nearly 5 years and 50k miles of trouble free driving for me it decided to do this on a test drive with a potential new owner lol. 

52635202269_e997923e3e_c.jpg

Sooo I got it towed back home and did a fairly complete cooling system overhaul last weekend. New radiator, expansion tank, upper and lower radiator hoses, replaced the hose that split with the updated version, water pump, thermostat, both of the large diameter hoses that connect to the water pump, replaced the plastic 'mickey mouse' flange on the head with an aluminum version and new hose to that too, and a fresh fill of the good ol' BMW blue coolant. Also replaced every o-ring on the hose connections I disconnected but didn't replace with new peroxide-cured EPDM o-rings. With that it's running great again and it'll be headed to its new home this week. I'm definitely going to miss this one. 

14 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Congrats on the purchase, love the color! I got the 4x4 itch too, it opens up a whole new door for driving adventures. This wagon is still one of my favorite modern cars on here though. I'm sure the new owner will enjoy it just as much.

Thanks! It totally does, I'm looking forward to taking some trips and getting out in the woods! It's actually pretty fun (in a silly way) on road and in corners too. And totally agree but I'm definitely biased haha. 

14 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Wish the touring was coming home with me, but I'm sure it's still going to a good home. Congrats on the bronco too!

Thanks! I wish there were more to go around too... 

13 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Congrats on the new Ferd Joe! Having seen it in person, the color and overall looks are even better than the photos, which is saying something. Now that you officially posted about it though I think there’s a requirement for photos of it hard parked with one wheel on a big ass snowdrift 😂

Thanks!! I was hoping for some snow drifts to go bombing through this morning but we ended up getting nothing but rain 👎 Enjoy the new ride!!