WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Finally Joined the Longroof Club

m42b32

8 hours ago, m42b32 said:

50319990366_965c716f60_c.jpg

Lame. 

One of the rear wheels cracked bad enough to give me a flat tire yesterday. Apparently 19" style 225M and 313's have a reputation for fatigue cracks on the barrels. It cracked right alongside a previous repair (you can sort of see the weld just to the right), so it was probably only a matter of time. I'm having a very hard time trying to find a not cracked replacement so it might be time to start looking for some new wheels...

If you ARE looking to get the crack fixed, I know a guy who does awesome work. He fixed a crack/gouge on the set of ZHP wheels I bought for my touring. Just a thought if you were thinking of going that route. 

9 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

If you ARE looking to get the crack fixed, I know a guy who does awesome work. He fixed a crack/gouge on the set of ZHP wheels I bought for my touring. Just a thought if you were thinking of going that route. 

My first choice would be to have it welded (depending on cost), I reached out to one place but would love a recommendation! I'll text you!

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

I've used Milwaukee Alloy Wheel Repair in the past with good results. Also, there's a shop in west allis that welded a few wheels for me at my old job, somewhere off Lincoln in west allis. I'd have to do some digging since it was basically someone doing side jobs out of their work place. 

I did reach out to them, they said the crack might be too bad to repair unfortunately. Once I get the tire taken off they can make a final judgement but they did say it's usually worse on the inside so I'm not too optimistic. I was planning to get it pulled off this week and follow up with them. 

• 5 months later...

50993763137_1ff56d26a5_b.jpg

It wouldn't start in the sub-zero temps we had for a few weeks which was annoying. The battery was replaced at the dealer not long before I bought it but I think it is a low cold cranking amp version as the car was previously in CA/NM. Now that the weather has warmed up it starts the car and holds a charge perfectly fine, which means I can ignore it till next winter lol. 

Way back in October I swapped my winter setup to a set of 17x7.5 MSW wheels with Continental Wintercontact SI tires in 205/50/17 somewhere around 102k. The bigger wheels will clear the 335 brakes I have sitting in boxes waiting to be installed in the spring. Pretty happy overall with the new combo, road noise is definitely higher and the grip in the snow isn't quite as good the altimax's, but they're a bit less squirmy (maybe from shorter sidewalls) and I put together the whole setup for pretty cheap. 

6 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

Are those 10' boards?

It's 8 2x8x8' boards, they stopped right at the back of the front seats. I just noticed it looks like they went to the dash because I had 5 more 1x2x8' that I didn't need to have hanging out the back haha. I DID however bring home a couple 16 foot baseboards a couple months ago but forgot to take a picture. Those went on the dash and then out the hatch window another 8 feet haha. 

51 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

It's 8 2x8x8' boards, they stopped right at the back of the front seats. I just noticed it looks like they went to the dash because I had 5 more 1x2x8' that I didn't need to have hanging out the back haha. I DID however bring home a couple 16 foot baseboards a couple months ago but forgot to take a picture. Those went on the dash and then out the hatch window another 8 feet haha. 

Okay. That makes way more sense. lol. I can have 8' boards sit right between the front seats and be completely in the car. And I was thinking there's NO way that my car is that much longer than yours. 

On a side note - how much have all of your DIY projects gone up in price with the price of wood being fucked? I started on our basement and have bought somewhere around 50 2x4x10, 20 8'ers, and then a variety of green treated stuff and what I paid now is SO much more than what I priced out 9 months ago. 

2 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Okay. That makes way more sense. lol. I can have 8' boards sit right between the front seats and be completely in the car. And I was thinking there's NO way that my car is that much longer than yours. 

On a side note - how much have all of your DIY projects gone up in price with the price of wood being fucked? I started on our basement and have bought somewhere around 50 2x4x10, 20 8'ers, and then a variety of green treated stuff and what I paid now is SO much more than what I priced out 9 months ago. 

Lumber prices have gotten absolutely ridiculous! The 2x8's pictured there were the cheapest I could find and it was still over $100 just for those. The pressure treated stuff is even worse. I've gotten good at recycling what I tear out from elsewhere in the house haha

22 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Lumber prices have gotten absolutely ridiculous! The 2x8's pictured there were the cheapest I could find and it was still over $100 just for those. The pressure treated stuff is even worse. I've gotten good at recycling what I tear out from elsewhere in the house haha

Yeah, my dad is in residential construction and he said the other night prices have gone up around 70% for framing lumber for him compared to pre-pandemic cost. It's obviously factored into bids now, but the price increase when he had houses in progress sure sucked.

17 hours ago, m42b32 said:

I grabbed 6 2x4x8's yesterday and they were $40. wtf. 

17 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Yeah, my dad is in residential construction and he said the other night prices have gone up around 70% for framing lumber for him compared to pre-pandemic cost. It's obviously factored into bids now, but the price increase when he had houses in progress sure sucked.

That's exactly what happened to us. We signed our contract before the prices went up and we ended up using our total framing/exterior budget on basically the rough framing. We still had to buy all the siding and all the carport material. It was awful and sent us quite a ways over budget very quickly. 

• 3 weeks later...

Summer mode! After about 4 months of searching and not finding any good alternatives, I finally sourced a 225m rear wheel. It is the rear wheel from an X1 m-sport so the size is 19x9 et41 vs. 19x9 et39 for the e9x rear wheel. The new wheel has a date stamp from 2014 whereas the old wheel is 2009, and appears to be a revised casting so we will see if the barrel holds up any better than the very crack-prone e90 variant. Its not necessarily ideal, but I solved the offset issue with a 5mm spacer on the X1 wheel, and a 3mm spacer on the e90 wheel. The concavity of each is exactly the same, so there is no way to tell the difference once they're mounted. I also added a pair of 10mm spacers to the front that I had sitting around. It is a very small change with the spacers but I think it makes a big difference!

50997283900_a3b6179ef2_c.jpg

11 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Interesting that the offset is different since the x1 is e90 based. Can you still get those wheels new?

Yeah I was surprised they went through the effort to have a whole different wheel with a 2mm offset difference. They are available new, but are $600 each. 

11 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Interesting. Any reason (cost?) to not just go with a pair of replacements and run sans spacers/equal spacers? Looks great though, I’ve always though that e90’s and wagons in particular seem to have really sunken wheels from the factory. 

Cost... home renovations are expensive, gotta pinch those pennies for now! It's not ideal, but it works. I also want to see how these X1 wheels hold up, so its sort of a long term experiment. 

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
22 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

Bumping this thread. How do the 19” style 225s ride? I’ve heard mixed opinions on 19’s on an E90. I really like the style 225, and while it was offered in an 18, it is apparently very rare. What are your tire specs?

Compared to my 17" snow tires they're a good bit harsher but I don't mind it. Current fronts are 235/35r19 and rears are 255/30r19. When I first got the car it had 255/35r19 on the rear and they fit no problem with the added sidewall, and if anything I think they looked a little better because they filled out the arches a bit more. 

• 4 months later...

About a month or two ago I got a tpms light for the driver's side rear tire, topped it up to what I thought was right (turns out was not, either the gauge or my brain was off) and the light didnt go away so I assumed I had a sensor issue in that wheel and didn't have much time to look further into it. Continued driving it for a couple weeks until I noticed that the tire now looked visibly low. Welp, checked pressures and it was well under 20psi. I pulled the wheel off to check for nails or a crack in the wheel or something and found the problem rather quickly... 

52360321281_3c5689ded6_c.jpg

I had noticed some accelerated inside edge wear on both rear tires so I got an alignment at the beginning of the summer and found the rear toe was way off, but it was definitely driving on a low tire that killed it. The tires I have are now discontinued (Falken Azenis FK453) so I ordered a pair of Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 for the rear with the same treadwear rating in 225/35r19 (one size up in sidewall from factory, looks way better) and am now running them closer to 40psi so we'll see if that combined with the alignment helps with the wear issue. 

On another note, last time I scanned the car with the ProTool app I had a code for a faulty rear ride height sensor. I ordered a new sensor (The "VNE" branded part from FCP is the oem part with logos scratched off for half the price by the way) and replaced it, but did not resolve the error. Next thing will probably be to check the wire harness where it enters the body as I've read there can be some chafing issues there. 

Speaking of wire harness issues... the age old BMW trunk wire harness problems are still alive and well. For a long time the left rear fog light bulb was 'out', and more recently the trunk wouldn't recognize that it was latched or would have an intermittent connection leading to constant dinging every time I accelerated, braked, or hit a bump (which was very annoying). I tried cleaning the trunk latches/switches with no effect, and replacing the fog light bulb did not fix that issue, so I tore apart most of the hatch to get to the wiring and eventually found this lovely mess. I did this job on both my e36's, and now nearly 20 production years later from that first e36 I'm doing it again. 

52451509918_f578fecedc_c.jpg

To fix it I cut/soldered/heat shrinked the damaged wires as crimps are too large to fit in the rubber sleeve. I also wrapped the whole section in a layer of tesa tape to help spread out the bend radius so it isn't folding itself as sharply or flexing solely at the solder joints when closing the hatch. We'll see how long it holds up, and if it splits again I'll get some high quality wire and re-wire the whole section properly. 

52451509778_a01ca14cf4_c.jpg

Other basic maintenance/etc over the weekend: new spark plugs, air filter, refilled the washer fluid tank, and used ProTool to code out the headlight washers because when they are working properly they make a mess for very little benefit and mine leak. We'll see if just disabling them stops the leaking or if I have to completely cap them off.