WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Finally Joined the Longroof Club

m42b32

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the spring this car will need new pads and rotors so I am going to upgrade to 335i brakes. Why am I doing this on a daily driver that doesn't need it? The rotors somehow cost the same and the pad selection is much better, front calipers are aluminum so they're basically the same weight and don't rust, the calipers were cheap, I think the 328 brakes look tiny behind my summer wheels, and most importantly I can't leave anything alone. 

I found a guy parting out a few newer BMW's down near the IL border and snagged the calipers/carriers and front dust shields off a wrecked 335i vert he had. It wasn't too fun pulling them off in the snow, but getting everything I needed in one trip for fairly cheap made it worth it. The plan is to rebuild/paint the calipers over the winter, and then install everything once I don't need to run the snow tires anymore (as 16's will no longer fit). 

49410613596_25062daa9f_b.jpg 

1 hour ago, m42b32 said:

In the spring this car will need new pads and rotors so I am going to upgrade to 335i brakes. Why am I doing this on a daily driver that doesn't need it? 

Because stock 335i brakes are great and unless someone is behind you, there is no such thing is being able to stop too fast

• 3 months later...

New summer tires are on! Old summers were toast and I finally got rid of the runflats on the front. Went with Falken Azenis FK453 in 235/35zr19 front (up from 225) and 255/30zr19 in the rear. Its amazing how dirty this car can be and still look clean in pictures. 

49809669841_93e3dcbace_b.jpg

Also in this picture: The reason I wont have any time for car projects for a while

3 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Congratulations on the house!  What area are you in?

Thanks! It's in Sussex. It'll be a big change from downtown MKE but we are looking forward to moving

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

car looks so good! excited for garage photos. 

Thanks! Right now its a bit of a disaster but I'm hoping to have it cleaned up by the end of the summer! So stoked to have my own garage even if its currently full of junk carpets and lawnmower parts. 

3 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

Congrats d00d

Thanks br0

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

50319990366_965c716f60_c.jpg

Lame. 

One of the rear wheels cracked bad enough to give me a flat tire yesterday. Apparently 19" style 225M and 313's have a reputation for fatigue cracks on the barrels. It cracked right alongside a previous repair (you can sort of see the weld just to the right), so it was probably only a matter of time. I'm having a very hard time trying to find a not cracked replacement so it might be time to start looking for some new wheels...

Good news: A rear contour fits perfectly on the rear of an e91. The tires are different heights so I'm going to avoid driving it like that, but at least I can move it around not on a flat. 

50320163052_ffd41c5a0c_b.jpg

1 minute ago, Rekpoint said:

I just picked up these wheels off a doppleganger of yours. Minus the performance kit + the manual transmission.

Works for visualizing a wheel suggestion.

IMG_6573.jpg

Thats very helpful because I am leaning towards some 19" ARC-8's (or maybe EC-7's) if I do end up needing new wheels