WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Finally Joined the Longroof Club

m42b32

reading through the docs you posted I found this:

The parts list below is only for vehicles that receive one replacement VANOS adjustment unit and VANOS adjustment bolts on the intake or exhaust VANOS adjustment unit.

Part Number             Description                                                    Quantity

11 36 8 602 263        VANOS Bolt (ISA screw M7x21)                     4  *

*Additional replacement bolt(s) may be needed if they do not torque to the correct specification, claim additional bolt(s) as necessary and explain the reason in the claim comments.

why on earth would the bolts 'not torque to the correct specification' ? are they spec'ing bolts that are likely to snap when torqued to spec? 

10 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

reading through the docs you posted I found this:

why on earth would the bolts 'not torque to the correct specification' ? are they spec'ing bolts that are likely to snap when torqued to spec? 

Hadn't seen that one. I'm hoping that is mentioned because the driver pocket on the screws is so shallow (The 4 screws below are the ones in question), maybe they could strip before reaching the necessary torque? I wouldn't be all that surprised if that weren't the case though...

461275_x800.webp

dug into it deeper. it appears those bolts are originally aluminum from the factory. they require an initial torque, then an angle torque. they also have a special torx tool called out (i think its just an odd length, due access clearance).  stripping or snapping seems plausible. based on posts online, some of the bolts snap themselves just from the car running. however, it also looks like they've recalled those bolts and replacements are now steel so the whole point may be moot.

repair procedure (which seems to precede the change of bolts to steel)

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCRIT-14V176-2716.pdf

but, keep in mind I have very little knowledge of new engine codes and if any of this even applies to your N51/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 engine

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

dug into it deeper. it appears those bolts are originally aluminum from the factory. they require an initial torque, then an angle torque. they also have a special torx tool called out (i think its just an odd length, due access clearance).  stripping or snapping seems plausible. based on posts online, some of the bolts snap themselves just from the car running. however, it also looks like they've recalled those bolts and replacements are now steel so the whole point may be moot.

repair procedure (which seems to precede the change of bolts to steel)

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCRIT-14V176-2716.pdf

but, keep in mind I have very little knowledge of new engine codes and if any of this even applies to your N51/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 engine

Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that document yet. What I find interesting is that they don't include the E91 in the actual recall (only extended warranty), even though it lands right in the middle of all the affected models and was produced throughout the affected time range:

image.png

My car has the N52K with a build date of 4/2010, so unless they had some special N52K for the wagons it should be the exact same thing as any other e9x with that engine. Maybe since there were a lot fewer produced? Who knows...

From the TSB

"CUSTOMER SATISFACTION SUPPORT BMW of North America, LLC remains committed to providing exceptional service and delivering an Ultimate Customer Experience. As part of our focus on improving customer satisfaction, your center may claim up to a maximum of $50.00, a goodwill gesture, to “surprise & delight” the customer. Giving customer options can help tailor the service experience to their liking"

Surprise and delight!

1 minute ago, jc43089 said:

From the TSB

"CUSTOMER SATISFACTION SUPPORT BMW of North America, LLC remains committed to providing exceptional service and delivering an Ultimate Customer Experience. As part of our focus on improving customer satisfaction, your center may claim up to a maximum of $50.00, a goodwill gesture, to “surprise & delight” the customer. Giving customer options can help tailor the service experience to their liking"

Surprise and delight!

LOL. Also at "Ultimate Customer Experience" I'm sure people who come in because bolts are breaking and their car runs like garbage are having a great experience.

@m42b32 the F11 is also excluded. It my be a clerical thing, like the tourings are assumed as part of the e90 cars.

The car has been dropped off at BMW Milwaukee North last night. I just got a call back after an initial diagnostic check and the exhaust vanos actuator is not functioning properly. They can't verify the bolts are the problem and confirm it is a warrantied repair until they inspect the actuator visually, so I've given them the go ahead to pull the valve cover. If you aren't familiar with the newer engines, the valve cover is a much more difficult process than previous generations of engines, so they estimate about 7 hours to R&R. If this issue is indeed broken or loose actuator bolts, everything is covered. If not, I'm on the hook for a pretty hefty bill. I've never been so hopeful something specific on my car is broken... 

1 like = 1 prayer

34 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I had a similar feeling when I dropped my 335i off to find out if the turbos would be covered under the extended warranty.  I remember the advisor was very explicit that I would be on the hook for the diag if it was not covered.  It wasn't 7hrs of diag but I feel your pain.

It feels like such a ridiculous policy but I don't know how they would do it any other way... I've been checking my phone like a psycho all morning. 

1 minute ago, m42b32 said:

It feels like such a ridiculous policy but I don't know how they would do it any other way... I've been checking my phone like a psycho all morning. 

Yea, I used to deal with this with insurance claims to.  The insurance company would tell a customer the same thing and a customer was never happy but at the end of it neither myself, our insurance company or any customer was able to come up with a better solution.  It just sucks.

Got the car back Saturday morning! I didn't owe a dime which was extra awesome (surprise and delight!). Final diagnosis was loose bolts on the exhaust vanos actuator, thankfully nothing sheared so they didn't have to pull the oil pan. Intake actuator didn't have any issues so updated bolts were installed instead of replacing the unit. Work performed:

- New exhaust vanos actuator

- 4 intake vanos actuator bolts

- Valve cover gasket (Mine was leaking, so this is a nice bonus)

16 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

It's almost a shame that they didn't have to pull the pan. Could have had that done as "preventative maintenance" lol. You know it'll eventually leak.

Luckily for me this car had the oil pan gasket done in Feb 2018 as it had already started leaking lol. If it hadn't been done so recently I definitely would've had my fingers crossed for a broken bolt or two!