WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Give me ideas to get the moisture out of my headlight

Rekpoint

Question

Ive been wanting to take cool pictures and videos of my car the past few days and this stupid headlight has been stopping me from doing so.

I have tried baked desiccant packets and compressed air. Will probably pull it tomorrow and use a heatgun/hairdryer.

When it rains it fogs up and I went to the car wash 2 days ago and its been like this ever since.

I also used a product called Gummi Pflege to revitalize the rubber seals in the back

Currently its open in the back and baking in the sun.

HALLPP me :)

20180710_121716.jpg

10 answers to this question

Instead of trying to remove the water maybe you could take a more environmentally conscious route.

It looks like you have yourself a lovely greenhouse in the works, have you considered adding a bit of nutrient rich soil and some seeds? 
You could grow yourself some beautiful flowers, or even herbs that you could use for your cooking! 

22 minutes ago, Earl said:

When my DJ Auto's used to do that I would pull the bulbs out and let it sit in the heat. Other than that the best you can do is split them as wipe it out.

Ill probably pull the right one tomorrow split it wipe it out and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. Fingers crossed it works.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:40 PM, Rekpoint said:

Ill probably pull the right one tomorrow split it wipe it out and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. Fingers crossed it works.

If its happening a lot like you say, I would pull both of them, take the time to "refresh" them with paint and then bond and bake them back together.

4 hours ago, Jdesign said:

If its happening a lot like you say, I would pull both of them, take the time to "refresh" them with paint and then bond and bake them back together.

Ill probably do that after road america this next weekend. The moisture went away for now at least. I need to focus on getting my brake job done so I can take it down to road america.

2 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

i deal with this shit all the time on my retrofitted e30 lights, but am unfamiliar with e36 ones. do they have an open vent on them?

in the past, when mine got soaked real bad I would do what you suggested and pull them off the car, pull the bulbs and blow a hairdrier into the housing for a while.

I don't think E36 lights have a vent on them but I could be wrong. I put a desicant in the backs of them the other day. Usually when it would rain they would fog up. Rained last night and as far as I know they are clear. I'm going to probably pull them out and refresh everything in a week or two if the problem happens again. I have a feeling they may have had moisture in them from the shipping from overseas. Or the previous owner running them with the backs open.

8 minutes ago, Rekpoint said:

I don't think E36 lights have a vent on them but I could be wrong. I put a desicant in the backs of them the other day. Usually when it would rain they would fog up. Rained last night and as far as I know they are clear. I'm going to probably pull them out and refresh everything in a week or two if the problem happens again. I have a feeling they may have had moisture in them from the shipping from overseas. Or the previous owner running them with the backs open.

i'd imagine they do, maybe take a peak to try and find them and make sure it isnt plugged. fully sealed lights are uncommon, as any water that does get in has an impossible time getting out with the heat/pressure differences.

2 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Instead of trying to remove the water maybe you could take a more environmentally conscious route.

It looks like you have yourself a lovely greenhouse in the works, have you considered adding a bit of nutrient rich soil and some seeds? 
You could grow yourself some beautiful flowers, or even herbs that you could use for your cooking! 

headlight terrarium.  youre a genius. maybe toss a gecko or two in there.