WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My latest project

MPW3RLee

2 hours ago, snap said:

Its been a while since ive seen a red E36 M3 and its very appealing

Thats a great car you have there!

Unfortunately it’s not mine, I’m just the one putting all the go fast parts on it 👍🏻

2 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

This should be pretty tasty.

Style 5s?

I think they’re some knockoff wheel but I honestly haven’t looked close enough at them. Either way I think they look pretty nice on it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the help of my wife, finally got the engine on the stand and ready for tear down.

Any advice on whether or not I should have the head/block machined? Taking the head off to replace head gasket and upgrade valve springs/cams and fix front timing cover. Wasn’t having any sort of head gasket issues so I was debating if I could get by without?

16C32EE6-6FB3-4EC9-A600-E122236241A6.jpeg

Well, ran into a bit of a snag. Probably going to start poking around for new head. Need new cam caps/ledges and a few other parts of the head aren’t looking to healthy. At least I’ve got some new cams already 😂

On that note, anyone have any M50 or S50 heads laying around?

811A7AF3-B50A-4352-A137-9B8BD062F3ED.jpeg

AD8222D8-ED1B-40A1-9C9F-9B3C642B9D3C.jpeg

E6AC72A0-D2F8-4648-A6F3-76B075A7C538.jpeg

5CC1AB2C-3B13-4320-B2FC-127AF6040124.jpeg

AC97E31F-887F-433D-84C4-9BD04608B4E6.jpeg

On 8/22/2018 at 10:34 AM, m42b32 said:

Yikes, thats not good... Did it have oil pressure issues or shavings in the oil?

The oil pressure was ok minus the supply to the back 2 caps, both the bearing caps had the nuts that hold the caps on loose. I haven’t found any metal shavings anywhere except around the caps, but I haven’t pulled the pan yet either. The filter didn’t have anything weird in it so maybe it didn’t spread too far.

On 8/22/2018 at 11:44 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

I've got a head floating around, I believe it's got one bent valve.
NV head so the valve stems are different dia, I've also got a tray and caps with cams and lifters for an m52 I believe if you need that

That think looks messy

Thanks Ben I will definitely let you know if I need any parts! I found a M50 head from a fellow autoXer that looks like it is in pretty good shape so I will see where that gets me...