WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

‘91 E30

KaiserRolls

15 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

I am able to get the nuts off of it. But it seems like it's impossible to actually get it out or in without it pinching on the trans or the trans tunnel.

Only way I was able to get my broken one out was ripping the dowel out of it and just mashing it out. Maybe I'm taking the wrong approach, but I would be very interested to hear your technique as this is one of my last things to do.

My though was disconnecting the trans brace and loosening the motor mounts in hopes of being able to nudge it over just enough to get it in. 

I did not have trans bushings in at the time, but did not touch the solid mounts, I removed it with the line still attached. Just kind of maneuvered it out and let it hang 

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend I got around to doing the detent service on the zf. Thanks to @m42b32 for the trans tools rental. 

It’s pretty easy to do, most annoying part was when I had a snap ring fuck-off into a low earth orbit and bounce off the evo/Miata/garage door. Found it after a few minutes luckily. 

948396D6-F034-4F57-AA33-1C708E82BE4A.jpeg

EA1FA93E-7611-415C-A708-CC215ECB4342.jpeg

8 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

Insulation was still present on trans tunnel, couldn’t get to the hardware, loosening mounts and tilting motor until it hit firewall was not giving me enough room

sans insulation and it could’ve stayed put 

Guess that means mine will have to come out as well...

45 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

Guess that means mine will have to come out as well...

I ended up tilting and pulling the motor enough to where I could get to the hardware on the back of the block. Then slipped the trans off. 

So it doesn’t necessarily need to come all the way out, but reinstalling with the engine dangling would be quite annoying 

• 2 weeks later...

With autox events passing me by like crazy I really need to wrap this up. 

Mtx-L shows up today, fluids and other jazz Friday, already have shifter, have all the necessary sensors now and distribution blocks for oil psi/temp. I’m running out of things to order and my excuse list is getting shorter. 

Pic to remind me of what I’ll be forever co-driving if I can’t get the black car finished this century 

57490036-35B4-478F-A084-368D58216CCF.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...