WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

‘91 E30

KaiserRolls

New boot goofin’

RT660s are backordered Into oblivion so I’m going to try out the Nankang CR1. Have heard great things and should be a happy medium between the RT660 and the yoko AO52s

58452F84-DBB9-45AD-9BB2-68125B133D0E.jpeg

cleaned up and painted the S52, better insulated the coolshirt lines. other than that not much progress. The parts stash grows

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 5:41 PM, SteelBlue said:

I should mention, I meant that in regards to their current availability right now lol They make good tires, just not the absolute top of the line. We sell more Nitto than any other brand.

I needed to follow up on this lol.

just got back from the tail of the dragon, I was driving the evo on NT555G2s. Was honestly surprised with that tire. Have been on that road many times in the evo on firehawks/conti ECS and honestly the nitto was pretty good. 

brooke was on neogens (Came on the car) and I still hate that tire. Absolute crap on damp asphalt. 

B02BBB52-5619-4437-81F5-C4B01904807B.jpeg

another miatas at the gap trip in the books and I think there were like 5-6 cars that got totaled this year lol

On 8/11/2021 at 10:25 AM, KaiserRolls said:

I needed to follow up on this lol.

just got back from the tail of the dragon, I was driving the evo on NT555G2s. Was honestly surprised with that tire. Have been on that road many times in the evo on firehawks/conti ECS and honestly the nitto was pretty good. 

brooke was on neogens (Came on the car) and I still hate that tire. Absolute crap on damp asphalt. 

B02BBB52-5619-4437-81F5-C4B01904807B.jpeg

another miatas at the gap trip in the books and I think there were like 5-6 cars that got totaled this year lol

One thing I realized from my drive on this road is the turns are pretty aggressively banked. For some reason I always had the misconception it was pretty flat. Properly dialed suspension and great tires definitely matter. My car came with achilles atr sport 2, so that's what I rocked on TOTD. Definitely wouldn't pick up another set lol.

On a side note, what a beautiful shot! Is that a long exposure or fog??

24 minutes ago, pynacl said:

One thing I realized from my drive on this road is the turns are pretty aggressively banked. For some reason I always had the misconception it was pretty flat. Properly dialed suspension and great tires definitely matter. My car came with achilles atr sport 2, so that's what I rocked on TOTD. Definitely wouldn't pick up another set lol.

On a side note, what a beautiful shot! Is that a long exposure or fog??

The banking by the “dip” (gravity cavity) is pretty wild. If you sit in a lawn chair on the high side of the corner in the pull off, you can’t see the road surface. 

took that with my phone lol, just pointed at it and clicked the button. The fog rolls in heavy there. That river pulls water off the bottom of Fontana dam (like 500’ deep) so it’s like 40-50° . Fogs up all the dang time 

• 1 month later...

Took first in XSB on my final run and 14/90 on raw time. Having good suspension is night and day. The CR1s were awesome once they had some temp.

its a 2 day event so we will see how it goes tomorrow. New course layout to keep things exciting. 

http://fvscc.com/results/2021_Summer/event8_raw.htm

F603DA83-0D7D-4929-8EE9-F670C963883F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dropping it out of the bottom Is the way to go

B7EFB135-3C21-4C6F-B9F6-BDBAA30CC4ED.jpeg

ABS pump is already gone, as well as all the front brake lines. Working on getting the bias adjuster mounted and remote cable ran. 
quick bend of the rear line gets the angle right for the cable to run to an already existing grommet in the firewall next to the main fuse box harness 

D0BA8894-E2B7-49FC-9DB3-9080AD2E013E.jpeg

Interior stuff is all done, remote Knob used the area for the fog lights (which Are being removed for the OEM “delete” panels) 

04112149-B013-4AB9-B919-393B52795EAA.jpeg
hoping I won’t have to touch interior stuff anymore for this chapter (wideband is already routed, just not connected to anything) 

made a quick “bracket” for the bias adjuster out of some scrap 3/4” alum square tubing. 
3A9DB98E-2258-43BF-A22E-584572C9F43E.jpeg

removed the factory heat shield for the exhaust (firewall area, still running the one in the tunnel) as it was pretty disgusting and had seen better days.

4258DF20-8E29-4ED5-A92B-B11F983A8AED.jpeg

Eventually I’ll add some DEI stuff if needed. Also removed the factory sound deadening thing from the firewall/tunnel. After removing the flanged plastic nuts the stuff basically fell apart as I removed it. It was also gross. Have seen rot behind these before on other cars, but luckily this car has never seen winter. Removed all the studs with an angle grinder as well. 
should have a lot more room to access trans stuff now if I need to. 

next up is to finish making hardlines to go from master to bias valve and master to front brakes. Once that’s done I can start on the engine stuff 

• 10 months later...