WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

‘91 E30

KaiserRolls

So since the car was down over the weekend, I ended up codriving my buddy’s turbo miata. 
ended up taking 2nd in XS-B and raw timing 8th/143 cars. I’ve driven turbo Miatas before but this was my first experience in one with a true manual rack (slower ratio than powered racks), so my hand work was a bag of shit. The car is an absolute rocket though. He ended up 1st in XS-B and 4th/143 for raw time.  
http://fvscc.com/results/2020_Summer/Event4_raw.htm

As much as I hate driving other people’s cars, it was really nice to just show up and rip around. Trying to break that habit though lol

for this run the tires had some temp in them and were about 6/7psi higher than what we like to run, hence the oversteer

• 2 weeks later...

Got the tstat housing/radiator stuff wrapped up on Saturday and took it to the Dells for autox on Sunday. 1st of 3 in XS-B and 5/82 in raw time. 
5DF23F9B-0383-4B01-BECB-FDE7D473A12D.jpegE3120669-2AE5-4BC8-9F1B-E86721DA3D67.jpegF08B2643-CC56-4598-87A9-5043BAF2BCB1.jpeg

rained for our last heat which was honestly more fun than the dry heat.

car preformed awesome, just think I need to burp/bleed the rad some more. Have a bleed funnel thing showing up on Friday to help. 

here’s my fastest run

This was the one I bought:

EPAUTO Spill Proof Radiator... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I40ZQWE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

cap threads on decent enough, but had to use a mix of the red adapter and the gasket from the factory bmw expansion tank cap. 

the design of the expansion tank throat was really annoying and required this mix-match of pieces to get it to seal properly 

On 10/4/2020 at 9:14 AM, YoungCR said:

Spill free coolant funnel. It has a little plunger so you can pour the excess coolant back into the jug, also allows for bleeding as well.

Lisle 24680 Spill-Free Funnel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6AS6LY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_tHDEFb046V3JE

On 10/4/2020 at 10:25 AM, KaiserRolls said:

This was the one I bought:

EPAUTO Spill Proof Radiator... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I40ZQWE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I didn't even know those existed. My whole life...I've just been pouring it in like a moron. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 12:48 AM, KaiserRolls said:

Started poking at the s52. Ive never seen a valve cover gasket this bad lol. It was basically plastic. 

good news is the top end looks super clean, so at least the oil was changed regularly

E425E1EC-4FDF-4E06-9120-AF3D33CBA432.jpeg

probably going to do a leak down test on this and figure out where I stand. 

This looks awesome, I’d be very surprised if that head wasn’t off and hot tanked at some point, never seen an original one that clean! 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn’t race the e30 at USAIR, it needs an alignment and I’m too lazy, so I co-drive the gfs evo x. 
83CFD947-6C8C-42C4-8081-03E8881D5905.jpeg
took 1st in XSA & 2nd/113 for raw time. This thing scoots and the suspension/power changes she made over the winter were definitely noticeable from last year 

Watching it back, I had a few sloppy corners and let off in a few areas that I usually don’t - idk what I was doing