WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

‘91 E30

KaiserRolls

On 6/1/2020 at 11:43 PM, KaiserRolls said:

l cant get the YouTube vid to embed for whatever reason, probably because it’s unlisted(?)

Fixed, I adjusted the embedded content width to 800px from 500px. Youtube was requesting 560px haha. Car sounds great! I should really come up to Shawano and watch being its 40 min away.

15 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

What was the breakaway #?

40ish on a cold diff. I noticed throughout each run it would slip more and more. Based on what I could find on metric mechanic for a 2 clutch diff w/45° ramp angle in good shape It should be around 58ftlbs.

75DA3EB6-7E25-4F1E-828A-A680052F947A.jpeg

Doesn’t spec e30 cap it around 65ftlbs?

1 hour ago, KaiserRolls said:

40ish on a cold diff. I noticed throughout each run it would slip more and more. Based on what I could find on metric mechanic for a 2 clutch diff w/45° ramp angle in good shape It should be around 58ftlbs.

75DA3EB6-7E25-4F1E-828A-A680052F947A.jpeg

Science!

I wonder why the MM units have a lower breakaway torque though?

I've had this happen a couple times, but I just figured it was just a compromise with F/R handling bias. You could get more weight on the inside rear by removing the rear sway bar, but yeah, no thanks.

2 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Science!

I wonder why the MM units have a lower breakaway torque though?

I've had this happen a couple times, but I just figured it was just a compromise with F/R handling bias. You could get more weight on the inside rear by removing the rear sway bar, but yeah, no thanks.

Ramp angle & less initial lockup is my guess 

1 hour ago, KaiserRolls said:

Yep that's why I asked. I was curious.

Per the latest rule set: test "at the center hub nut, using a 30mm or 32mm socket and commercially available ½” torque wrench. The car will be placed on solid pavement, the right side of the car will be jacked up until the right rear tire is free from the pavement, the transmission will be placed in neutral, and the parking brake, if present, will be released. The torque wrench will be placed at the nine o’clock position with the socket on the center nut. The torque wrench will be set at 65 lb.-ft. and pushed down.If the differential does not breakaway prior to the torque wrench “breaking away,” a second and similar style torque wrench from an impartial party shall be used in a second test, immediately following the first test. If the differential does not breakaway using the second torque wrench, the car will be disqualified from the preceding race and the DQ will be noted in the car’s logbook."

I replaced my original after a wreck in 2014 with a used 3.73 only to find that it tested at 44ftlbs. Not good. My current one is a used Korman-built 3.73 that tests at 65ftlb. Much better.  

2 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

Yep that's why I asked. I was curious.

Per the latest rule set: test "at the center hub nut, using a 30mm or 32mm socket and commercially available ½” torque wrench. The car will be placed on solid pavement, the right side of the car will be jacked up until the right rear tire is free from the pavement, the transmission will be placed in neutral, and the parking brake, if present, will be released. The torque wrench will be placed at the nine o’clock position with the socket on the center nut. The torque wrench will be set at 65 lb.-ft. and pushed down.If the differential does not breakaway prior to the torque wrench “breaking away,” a second and similar style torque wrench from an impartial party shall be used in a second test, immediately following the first test. If the differential does not breakaway using the second torque wrench, the car will be disqualified from the preceding race and the DQ will be noted in the car’s logbook."

I replaced my original after a wreck in 2014 with a used 3.73 only to find that it tested at 44ftlbs. Not good. My current one is a used Korman-built 3.73 that tests at 65ftlb. Much better.  

Phew, glad I tested it correctly lol. 
also glad to hear you could feel how sloppy it was around 40ish, confirms my suspicions. 

there was once the most elaborate e30 m3 restoration thread on r3v maybe 7-8 years ago which I remember having great detail for the diff rebuild. Its so nice that EVERYTHING on a BMW is so well documented with multiple sources, so here’s the next best thing I have found.

http://buildraceparty.com/diy-tech-how-to-rebuild-a-bmw-e30-differential/

6 minutes ago, B C said:

there was once the most elaborate e30 m3 restoration thread on r3v maybe 7-8 years ago which I remember having great detail for the diff rebuild. Its so nice that EVERYTHING on a BMW is so well documented with multiple sources, so here’s the next best thing I have found.

http://buildraceparty.com/diy-tech-how-to-rebuild-a-bmw-e30-differential/

I’ll be using that one, Thayer’s instructions and copious amounts of photos. @AsparagusMike just recently did his as well and has some photos.  

this one has a helpful parts explosion and then turns into an ad for MM. 

https://metricmechanic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Differentials.pdf

4 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

This may seem dumb but I finally found a usb charger that doesn’t look like a giant tumor with 6 bright LEDs sticking 8” off the console.

I bought the exact same one a couple years ago for the same reasons. Still charges things. Since it only has one job, that's a win in my book.

Road America was a lot of fun. Surface was slick like usual since the repave. 

raw: http://fvscc.com/results/2020_Summer/Event1_raw.htm

class: http://www.fvscc.com/results/2020_Summer/Event1_fin.htm

My fastest run:

It was good seeing @AsparagusMike & @suspenceful out and about. Veggie mikes car sounds great as always and Spence’s ///m looks glorious 

2 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

Road America was a lot of fun. Surface was slick like usual since the repave. 

raw: http://fvscc.com/results/2020_Summer/Event1_raw.htm

class: http://www.fvscc.com/results/2020_Summer/Event1_fin.htm

My fastest run:

It was good seeing @AsparagusMike & @suspenceful out and about. Veggie mikes car sounds great as always and Spence’s ///m looks glorious 

Those pesky S2000s