WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

‘91 E30

KaiserRolls

5 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

ChaseBays power steering stuff showed up today which was semi exciting.  
83EBA4E6-8A97-47EB-88A5-CE87785919ED.jpeg

that’s threaded all the way in, I’ll just need 12 crush washers 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

hoping I hear back from them soon so I can get the right stuff

Weird, I have the same chase bays pressure line and likely the same power steering pump. Nothing stuck in the pump threads? 

28 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

I was kind of expecting an issue tbh, in the meantime I’m going to cut this one down so I can at least go drive the car around. 

You are better off using spacers. That bevel helps seal it 

10 minutes ago, B C said:

You are better off using spacers. That bevel helps seal it 

It’s not really beveled in a way that works with an -an fitting, I’m not even sure the bevel is there to aid with sealing because stock was sealed with crush washers & the banjo bolts that thread into that dont have a bevel on them to my knowledge either 

4 minutes ago, The Full Banana said:

Also, is that an aluminum fitting on the high pressure line? I wouldn't trust if so, even if it did fit. I've seen aluminum fittings fail in that application. Steel all the way for high-pressure hydraulic lines. 

It sure is. We’ll see how long the chasebays stuff lasts I guess

14 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

It sure is. We’ll see how long the chasebays stuff lasts I guess

13 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

theyve been selling it for years. if there were some great amount of failures, shoudnt we have heard about it by now? i think they use some aluminum fittings for the brake stuff, even. cant muck about with brakes with inferior stuffs and not have a lawsuit. 

Yeah, very valid point. I guess I'm just used to not having kits available for things so I'm looking at tried and true patterns that OEs abide by, and tend toward overbuilding things to avoid hassles. A friend had a high pressure PS line fail a couple years back after I warned about using garden variety AN fittings and hose on it, rather than high pressure stuff suited to the application.

After looking at the chase bays high pressure hose for my own curiosity, it looks like they are using crimped fittings (which are much more important for higher pressure) and thicker wall 90s, rather than the thinner tube stuff you commonly see for fuel line and the like. Like you said, probably okay given that they've had the product out there, just wouldn't be the material I'd choose if assembling from scratch (which is irrelevant to this conversation 🤐).

On 5/6/2020 at 3:30 PM, KaiserRolls said:

New fitting on its way from chasebays, hoping this one is the golden ticket

Fitting was still too long so I just did what I was going to do originally and shortened the first fitting. Got everything buttoned up, so far I don’t see any leaks after bleeding/idling in the garage. I’ll need to go drive it around a bunch to confirm. 

Sold the RE71/K1s, replacements showed up today  

225/45/15 Falken RT660

C5BADD42-2133-49C2-A624-E54823A23782.jpeg

plan is to slap them on these:

konig hypergram 15x8.5 

EADDABEB-4EAE-4A35-BE2A-8A341A1BCC44.jpeg

it’s about the only lightweight 8.5” wide wheel I could find that didn’t have bacon fender inducing offset. Ordering up some spacers later today. Hoping to have this all ready to go by the time RA autox rolls around