WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

‘91 E30

KaiserRolls

Trunk carpets in. Could’ve got fancy with cutting them out for my adjusters and strut brace, but just cut them short instead. 

I do have the plastic battery cover, it’s just a tiny bit awkward to affix and it’s nice not having to tear anything apart for tech - so I won’t be using it most likely  

A0655DEE-C2B0-463F-9BB8-231A3547539E.jpeg

EDB01056-E6B4-4F8A-A756-09C76B3265DD.jpeg

AE51B718-669E-4864-A626-A774DAD04E68.jpeg

2 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

carpet looks great!

(throws out carpet) 

just put a cap on the positive terminal so an errant can of Molson's in your trunk doesnt short the battery. 

Lol. Thanks dan. Figured I’d spray this one and see how it turned out, not sure when I would’ve been able to make it down your way. 

12 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

it turned out great! what product did you end up using?

+1 

Did it come out crunchy or does it still feel like carpet? Looks really nice. Someday when I get around to the interior of my sedan I was planning to do the same thing. 

16 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

it turned out great! what product did you end up using?

4 hours ago, m42b32 said:

+1 

Did it come out crunchy or does it still feel like carpet? Looks really nice. Someday when I get around to the interior of my sedan I was planning to do the same thing. 

It comes in flat and gloss, I used flat everywhere- even on the vinyl heel pad and dead pedal thing. 

used about 5ish total cans for all the carpets, tan needed a lot and this carpet was properly stained lol. 

carpet doesn’t feel as “soft” as when I started, granted I was starting with a 30yo beat up carpet. It does however feel uniform now. A tad firmer but I wouldn’t call it crunchy by any means. Happy medium between OEM and pontoon carpeting haha. 

if I could redo it I would be more direct with my usage of a nylon brush in between coats in order to help the spray cover all sides of the carpet strands. I got kind of lazy. 

9346CA40-FF97-4E04-BF36-7384724E9AC8.jpeg

Found a bit of free time this weekend to tackle the firewall steering shaft boot. Wanted to get that out of the way before putting the interior back in. Lots of e30 yoga was needed 

Here is the before, boot not really attached to much 

D8E16B59-9AA5-4105-8132-B6175FCAE127.jpeg

removed it all and had to make the hole larger. Queue the angry end 

46B9E18A-D141-4A4D-9411-54B2744ADFA3.jpeg

once the hole in the firewall matched the new plate, I had to trim back some of the sound deadening in the engine bay. Slapped it all back together and sealed it with some 3m gasket in a tube. 
boot fits snug and was a PITA to get snapped in, but once it’s on it is not going anywhere.  
2487C69F-F60B-4C4E-91E0-31D9C5D580A3.jpeg

replaced some old brittle trim clips as well, noticed my door cards kept popping out and some of the rear trim wasn’t staying putC29E9AD0-3BED-45A8-88F3-D354F5870621.jpeg

before I went inside, I noticed a small puddle under the car that wasn’t there when I was working on the steering. I checked it out and it’s coolant dripping from the hose clamp which secures the hose that connects to the heater core pipe under the intake manifold. 🤬 

I’m saving that gem for when the interior is back together. 

So it’s not dripping coolant anymore, so I’m not sure what the hell is going on haha. I will check it out once the interior is buttoned up. 

I tossed in the new gas pedal stopper, innovate wbo2 & got to work putting the carpet in. Once it was in I sized up the bummerworld floor plates in order to cut the carpet up some more (the plates sit flush against the body). I haven’t bolted the plates down yet, but here’s where I stopped for the night. 

21AF14F4-22A7-413C-B316-5D0250E37686.jpeg

927247BD-BE64-41EC-AC8B-52168768575F.jpeg

47B6C3C0-4087-494D-939C-E861171379F2.jpeg

Decided against running the bolt-in 4pt. I set it up in the car and realized I didn’t want to drill holes in this car. So that is for sale. Got to work installing the floor plates/rear carpet/rear seat/speaker panels/front seatE28701A2-4D79-4032-AB5E-2264F5DBEE2B.jpeg

pulled the protipo out and tossed the sparco wheel in to see if I’d like the wheel closer to me which I did. So I’ll be trying to sell the prototipo still if anyone is interested as well as the sparco (pictured) 

Got the rest of the interior back together, less the sill plates. Those clips for the plates are the bane of my existence. I went on realoem, found the PN & ordered and I rec’d the wrong ones. If anyone knows the PN for the sill plate clips please let me know. 

Finished putting together the rest of the interior. 

tightened down the seatbelt anchors & tossed the rear seat in

454F2FDD-4D37-4078-AFCD-E0D086E8ED5D.jpeg 

floor plates tight & loosely installed the planted side plates installed seat belt receptacles with VAC adapters  I kind of knew based on the drivers seat where to put the side mounts which helped822953EB-7CF6-424A-827D-5AA6A6EEC930.jpeg

next up was the seat 

9D545018-DEDE-4440-87C8-296E974BF7CC.jpeg

it’s a super cup XL, which was wider than the Daytona XXL on the drivers side (which fit without issue). ran into a bit of an issue with the trans tunnel not allowing the seat to clear the door card. Changed the tilt and it clears now (still close though) door shuts like normal at least. 

Installed the rest of the interior bits and here’s the result, less the annoying sill plates. Even put the floor mats in lol
2F503976-8932-4D72-8FF2-7D7DC60FD88A.jpeg

D8DD70DF-5642-4CF2-9A9F-79BAEEAFEF2A.jpeg

Pretty happy with the interior now. Glad I put the rear seat back in even though it is no longer accessible, I never had anyone ride back there anyways. 

Back on the ground and it fired right up. The coolant “leak”/drip must’ve fixed itself because I Can’t see anything dripping from the area. Before I took it out I had to add some more power steering fluid and re align the steering wheel after having the steering shaft out during the firewall boot install 

I need to get this ABS light off the dash, it’s  super annoying. Also sometimes the brake fluid light flashes, it’s full though. 

F5EF0891-1CEE-447E-9E87-128C5545DF4B.jpeg

BA9CBA28-4051-4488-BF43-9058110076EA.jpeg

need to wash it so badly

Well after driving it around a little bit for a couple days, looks like there is a super slow coolant leak. Maybe the size of a half dollar after the car sits in the garage and cools down. Looks like the heater core hose area is a likely culprit.

Also need to get a brass radiator plug instead of the plastic one, for peace of mind. I think these are m12x1.5 according @B C 

Alsox2 need to address the PS leak, seems to be weeping out of the threads on the pump. I’ve got some loctite brand hydraulic thread sealant that I’m going to try first. 

other than the annoyances above it feels awesome to get back to driving. The one time we get an earlyish spring and bat soup ruins everyone’s year 

45 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Well after driving it around a little bit for a couple days, looks like there is a super slow coolant leak. Maybe the size of a half dollar after the car sits in the garage and cools down. Looks like the heater core hose area is a likely culprit.

Also need to get a brass radiator plug instead of the plastic one, for peace of mind. I think these are m12x1.5 according @B C 

Alsox2 need to address the PS leak, seems to be weeping out of the threads on the pump. I’ve got some loctite brand hydraulic thread sealant that I’m going to try first. 

other than the annoyances above it feels awesome to get back to driving. The one time we get an earlyish spring and bat soup ruins everyone’s year 

I need a ride after quarantine time ❤️ 

Sell me on an E30 mitch, SELL ME.