WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

‘91 E30

KaiserRolls

On 10/3/2019 at 1:43 PM, KaiserRolls said:

Also wired all the gauges last night. Went all out with the label maker 

turns out the oil psi sender I have is most likely junk as the gauge pegs Max with key on. (Does this with sender wire connected and disconnected). The gauges all use the same power and ground and the other 2 work perfectly. New sender shows up tomorrow

DFF53086-529A-4CBA-8615-F8999301D431.jpeg

New sender fixed the issue. @Rekpoint you can throw it against your own wall if you’d like

glad you're OK!

my guess it was the combination of a very smooth floor allowing the jack to roll easily (possibly a bit of oil residue or dampness?) and maybe going a little higher than normal.

when you jack under the plate from the front, you'll lose most of the contact between the jack plate and skid plate after only a few degrees of lift, per my half-assed diagram.  also the plate is a smooth surface, so there is nothing for the 'teeth' of the jack plate to catch on.

car-jack-hydraulic-auto-mechanic-jackn-104308655 copy.jpg

There should be something on the skid plate that fits into the top of the jack to prevent slide out like that.  I do like how Toyota vans (and I assume most of their cars) have the front subframe designed with a lump sticking down to fit into a floor jack.

As seen here below the harmonic damper.

DBERl33.jpg

On 10/13/2019 at 1:19 AM, KaiserRolls said:

A first for me today, car fell off the jack as I was raising it up from the skid plate. It was odd, it just spit the jack out the front. Got lodged in between the valence and the core support. Barely pushed the valence out, blew the lip off and took some coating off a wire loom. Got lucky. 

2906798B-4219-413A-AE2D-DE1165596B53.jpeg

I think my brothers e30 is running the same skid plate. Did it weld onto the frame rails? 

Scary! I'm glad nobody got hurt. Did the car roll back or did it spit the jack out the front??

I have the same skid plate (HIKfab) and I've been putting a hockey puck between the jack and the skid plate (the original rubber pad on the jack is gone). It deforms a bit as the car is lifted and seems to 'stick' a little better once it gets some angle between the two. 

9 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Scary! I'm glad nobody got hurt. Did the car roll back or did it spit the jack out the front??

I have the same skid plate (HIKfab) and I've been putting a hockey puck between the jack and the skid plate (the original rubber pad on the jack is gone). It deforms a bit as the car is lifted and seems to 'stick' a little better once it gets some angle between the two. 

Didn’t roll back, handbrake was set. Jack I was using had a rubber pad

15 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

glad you're OK!

my guess it was the combination of a very smooth floor allowing the jack to roll easily (possibly a bit of oil residue or dampness?) and maybe going a little higher than normal.

when you jack under the plate from the front, you'll lose most of the contact between the jack plate and skid plate after only a few degrees of lift, per my half-assed diagram.  also the plate is a smooth surface, so there is nothing for the 'teeth' of the jack plate to catch on.

car-jack-hydraulic-auto-mechanic-jackn-104308655 copy.jpg

Yes - same way I have jacked it up a billion times before, this time it wasn’t having it. Usually I use a long use low pro gray jack. This time I was using the blue jack below. 

After it kicked out the blue one, I swapped to the gray and it lifted no issue. 

I have since started using a 2x6 inbetween the jack and the skid plate (orientated front to rear inbetween the two channels on the hikfab) to distribute the load and give the jack something to bite into.

51CF9936-E511-4AA2-BC0C-BE1EA93DF4A4.jpeg

37B8E3F2-1992-48EB-9B1E-0237B302B53D.jpeg