WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Feeler: Ruff Underdrive Pulley Sets

Earl

Sorry for the long winded prelude to this feeler😎

Recently I've been working with a company named Ruff Automobile Technik out of Taiwan. They make aftermarket parts for BMW and now a few other European cars. I got in touch with them after I had picked up one of their M44 pulley kits from a seller on eBay and it arrived all beat up. I wanted to see if I could order a water pump pulley alone for my nice car and from there I ended up ordering myself one of their adjustable shifters. We got to talking and they don't have a rep set up in the United States, making it a market that they've been missing. They asked if I would be interested in starting to introduce their products here and I figured it is a win-win situation for the both of us. I'm not held to any minimum quantities and they get their foot in the door over here.

I just sold a run of their adjustable shift levers and an M42 Underdrive Pulley set. A few other people have been asking me about Underdrive Pulley sets for their cars so I figured I would see if anyone on here would be interested. I can get them for the following engines: M42, M44, M50, M52. M52TU, M54, S50, S52, and S54.  Each kit is $220 and includes a water pump pulley, an alternator pulley w/ spacers, and a power steering pump pulley. Since these are quite a bit pricier than the shifters, I would do the run as a preorder. The last shipment I ordered came within a week, as they are shipped via air freight. Please let me know if you'd like a set below and for what engine. Once I have enough interest I will place the order and collect payments at that time.

Damn, I just bought ECS aluminum pulleys for my M54 a few months ago to replace the broken plastic ones.  I've never seen anyone make a set for an M42, I might be interested in a set once I get my sedan going. Any idea on performance gains or a % reduction in rotation? 

16 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Damn, I just bought ECS aluminum pulleys for my M54 a few months ago to replace the broken plastic ones.  I've never seen anyone make a set for an M42, I might be interested in a set once I get my sedan going. Any idea on performance gains or a % reduction in rotation? 

They got back to me and it is a 5-7hp increase on an M42.

1 hour ago, jc43089 said:

That isn't much cheaper than some made in the USA ones.  Not knocking them or you.  I generally choose a US made product if available even if it costs more.

I completely understand. It makes a lot of sense for people with the engines that you can't get pulleys for from other companies. It looks like Turner is the closest in price and they include the belt. There is nothing stating they're made in the USA however and I highly doubt that they are. I would say UUC would be one of the only ones who actually produces their pulleys in the States. It's such an easy thing to have tooled in Taiwan for so much cheaper considering labor and material. I work in a Made in the USA factory and that really just means assembled in the USA anymore. Most of our valve bodies and a good chunk of machined stainless parts come from Taiwan because you just can't beat the price. 

are these a different diameter than stock, or just lightweight? do they use an OEM belt?

its cool you want to bring a product to market, but i try not to buy products that have a huge mark-up in price just because some people will pay it.

bottled water

designer clothes

printer ink

cell phone accessories

underdrive pulleys

etc

34 minutes ago, Earl said:

I completely understand. It makes a lot of sense for people with the engines that you can't get pulleys for from other companies. It looks like Turner is the closest in price and they include the belt. There is nothing stating they're made in the USA however and I highly doubt that they are. I would say UUC would be one of the only ones who actually produces their pulleys in the States. It's such an easy thing to have tooled in Taiwan for so much cheaper considering labor and material. I work in a Made in the USA factory and that really just means assembled in the USA anymore. Most of our valve bodies and a good chunk of machined stainless parts come from Taiwan because you just can't beat the price. 

I actually sent an email to Turner to ask where they were manufactured.  VAC ones say machined in the USA.

I know what you mean, you can hardly buy tools that are even assembled in the USA.  Even the Milwaukee and Dewalt power tools are "Professionally made in China".  

6 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

are these a different diameter than stock, or just lightweight? do they use an OEM belt?

its cool you want to bring a product to market, but i try not to buy products that have a huge mark-up in price just because some people will pay it.

bottled water

designer clothes

printer ink

cell phone accessories

underdrive pulleys

etc

They're larger in diameter, hence under drive, and I'm not sure if you would consider them lightweight. They are aluminum versus steel so the alternator pulley and power steering pulley would be ever so slightly lighter. Since the pulleys are larger, you end up using a longer belt but it doesn't change the width or style of belt. The price is based off of my cost for the product, the shipping and transaction costs to get them to me, flat rate shipping to the purchaser, and then pricing them for less than what's currently on the market. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...