WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Timing and vacuum lines on early L jet M30, help

jc43089

Question

Hey, I am getting close to being ready to try starting a '79 633CSi after replacing the head and resealing the bottom end.  It was desmogged by Miller Norburn when it was new and has a bunch of Alpina parts installed by them as well.  It has vintage Supersprint headers and a full Primaflow exhaust.  No thermal reactors or smog pump.

What I am unsure of is the routing of the 2 vacuum lines from the distributor, all of the diagrams show only one.  All of the diagrams though reference the points type distributor and this has electronic ignition so that might be why?  Both go to the throttle body I think but not sure which ports.

10 answers to this question

if one port is upstream of the TB and the other is downstream, then my guess would be to run it on the downstream port.

As cool as it would be to get the 633 running and all, please just remember this:

“The robin flew from his swinging spray of ivy on to the top of the wall and he opened his beak and sang a loud, lovely trill, merely to show off. Nothing in the world is quite as adorably lovely as a robin when he shows off - and they are nearly always doing it.” 
 Frances Hodgson Burnett,

9 minutes ago, snap said:

if one port is upstream of the TB and the other is downstream, then my guess would be to run it on the downstream port.

As cool as it would be to get the 633 running and all, please just remember this:

“The robin flew from his swinging spray of ivy on to the top of the wall and he opened his beak and sang a loud, lovely trill, merely to show off. Nothing in the world is quite as adorably lovely as a robin when he shows off - and they are nearly always doing it.” 
 Frances Hodgson Burnett,

Well the confusion is that the distributor has 2 ports, I assume for altitude compensation or something, the diagrams only show one.

I will get a custom decal of that to place in the rear windshield when the owner isn't looking..