WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I'm back with another E36

basedspider

Well, I went ahead and impulse bought another E36.

20180612_141145.jpg20180612_141158.jpg

So, backstory time. Since I bought my ND miata, I had the money still from my black miata I had sold. (I was originally going to use the money as a down payment, but I ended up selling the NA after I bought the ND and couldnt.) I was joking around and called my mom to tell her I was leaving for Milwaukee to buy a car. I wasn't actually planning on doing such a thing, but she was actually okay with getting a car for the winter. At this point, I did find a nice clean 318ti for cheap down by Milwaukee I was kinda interested in. 4 hours later I figured out the guy had sold it, and had 2 options. A 228k mile 318is with supposedly 110k on the motor, or a 200k mile 328i convertible that had been rained in, so the interior was trashed. I didn't sleep, and left at 8:30am for Milwaukee. I get there and the guy worked at a oil change place, so we pulled it in and I got a chance to look under it. Underbody is decent for the mileage, just a few spots with some bubbling so I wasn't crazy worried. Test drove it and it rode fine, so I walked away with it.

20180611_123634.jpg

20180611_123616.jpg

Made the roughly 4 hour trip home, and now its mine.

20180611_170442.jpg

Plan is, clean it up and fix anything mechanical during the summer so that I can have it running nice for the winter. So far, I need to fix the drivers side door handle, find out why it doesn't start right (When starting, the car smells like gas and you can see some on the ground. Runs great after starting though), throw on a new fender, new fogs, and clean up some of the rust so it doesn't get that much worse during the winter.

I didn't have to buy it, but I did anyways and now I'm back on here. No slaps for this one ;)

7 hours ago, basedspider said:

doesn't start right (When starting, the car smells like gas and you can see some on the ground. Runs great after starting though)

What do you mean by "doesn't start right"?

My e21 doesn't have a check valve after the pump like it's supposed to, which causes long crank times. The pump primes when you turn the key, but it still takes a couple extra seconds of cranking for it to build fuel pressure and start.

If you can see fuel on the ground it should be pretty easy to find the problem...

49 minutes ago, HipMF said:

What do you mean by "doesn't start right"?

My e21 doesn't have a check valve after the pump like it's supposed to, which causes long crank times. The pump primes when you turn the key, but it still takes a couple extra seconds of cranking for it to build fuel pressure and start.

If you can see fuel on the ground it should be pretty easy to find the problem...

like, it starts in a nice amount of time, but i gotta give her the gas and keep it revd above 1k for a few seconds after it starts for it to idle after. otherwise itll die.

Nice! I used to own a 1992 e36 318is, it was my first BMW and first car, absolutely loved that thing. It was slow enough that I couldn't really hurt myself or get into trouble, but still fun to drive and got awesome gas mileage. I was regularly averaging 32+ mpg, which was helpful when I was a broke high school kid. I'd daily one again in a heartbeat. 

Definitely fix that fuel leak before you drive it anywhere, if its making it to the ground that's a pretty serious leak. First places I'd look is the fuel lines running between the chassis hard lines and the engine fuel rail. BOTH my e30 and e36 with m42's ruptured hoses in that area. 

4 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

an e36 4cyl that has engine problems and rust.....there couldn't be a better car for beating to hell with wisconsin winters.

also, it has heated seats. absolutely perfect for this winter. nice people hauler too since some of my friends are stingy on gas *cough* *cough* @Rekpoint *cough*