WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

break in oils for fresh rebuild

AsparagusMike

Question

I know there is a lot of info about this out there and I have done my fair share of reading so I mostly understand what I need. Sense many people on here have rebuilt motors from the bottom up and have good experience with such, I just wanted to know what type oil you ended up running for the first start up and break in periods. So far I have looked at some break in oils (which just seems to be sae 30 with zinc additives) and I also know not to run a synthetic based oil as it prevents the rings from seating properly. What has been used successfully on others builds?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

https://www.amazon.com/Brad-Penn-Oil-009-7120S-Engine/dp/B002RF8IN2

The 2 engine builders ive talked to that do it for a living told me to use Brad Penn oil, start it up and run the engine at 2000 rpm for 15 minutes. Drain the oil, add normal oil and consider it broken in.

Heres something a little more official than the passed-along tribal knowledge that can wind up being something like "My uncle Ted used to drag race in his high school parking lot and his friend said to add kerosene to the air filter and bounce it off the rev limiter for 10 hours straight to break it in"  

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/atk engine break in.pdf