WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum

gilber33

10 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

When I did the front suspension on the e30 last summer, I dropped the rack and resealed it while I was in there. I had to bend the tabs down to get the rack out, but otherwise it wasn't too bad. I used a big flathead screwdriver in the gap in the splined coupler and the rack came out without much issue. Definitely easier with two people, for both install and removal, one holding the rack and the other holding the coupler and prying it open.

That's good to hear that it wasn't too bad. Just glancing at it it looks nearly impossible to do with the engine in the car. I'm going to pull it in the garage tonight and will hopefully be able to remove it pretty quickly.

I'm also swapping out the Bosch/Behr AC compressor with a Seiko unit. My Behr compressor is on the do not fly list for r134 compatible compressors. 

With the car in the air, it was very notchy. With the car off it had the exact same feel. Took off the belt for the PS pump and it felt like it had some resistance when I spun it. With it having the same feeling with the car on or off I feel like I can rule out the pump. I spun the rack by hand on the steering knuckle and there was no visible binding on the joints, but it felt like the resistance was coming from the rack and not the universal joints. It felt like it would hit resistance below my hand before above it. So I’m pretty confident it’s the rack. 

2 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

When the steering shaft is bolted to the rack, is the circled area fouling on one another when you turn the steering wheel? 

74817A56-ACA3-4DE6-8423-2A9F73AC9284.jpeg

It is not. I looked carefully for that because I know you have to grind out some material on there when you do the rack swap. The video might now be showing up (at least it's not for me) but I tested  both directions of motion for that joint and one direction was very smooth and seemed to have full motion and the other direction had very, very little free motion and anything outside of this small window of movement required a lot of force. 

6 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

Looks good against the silver.

I like them better than I thought I would. 

My rack still didn't go out today. "Hopefully tomorrow" is what I was told. After being told last week Friday that it was going out on Monday, then yesterday that "there's no reason it won't go out tomorrow (today)". Not only do I want to drive my car, but I need it out of the fucking garage so we can keep moving shit out of the house. 

/rant

Purple tag e46 rack in and the Condor steering thing.  It was a pretty significant PITA. The splines on the rack from the rack doctor weren’t great. They give them a coat of paint and I’m not sure they cleaned them before doing that so they were all goobered up. And then one side of the shaft between the two joints would not fit into the joint without some major assistance. But it’s in so hopefully I won’t have to worry about any of the steering stuff for a long time. 

DF7820E6-77DD-476B-9624-3BF2FAC8F92C.jpeg

428FD56C-36E1-4828-BC8E-B50162E8BFC9.jpeg

Gooder picture with the new headlights. 

212D2168-F33D-4805-B40B-64187A94A811.jpeg

Ran great. Took it to Tom’s on Monday to align it in his garage and it turned out really good. 

Today’s thing was I realized the aux fan wasn’t kicking on at all. I also turned on the ac (it’s not charged yet) just to see if the fan would come on as it should. While diagnosing that tonight I realized I wired in the temp sensor plug into the cars harness wrong. Basically flipped the low and high fan settings. 

Once that was corrected, I could jump the plug and get high to work but not low. Started at the fuse box and traced it down to the fans wire harness. I have 12v at the body harness for the fan. But from the connector to the resistor it drops to .3 volts. Yes. Point three. The ohm readings was scattered all over but never got close to 0. 

Once again, a used part bites me in the ass. Now to source a new fan. I am ordering an ac manifold and vacuum pump so I can try charging it myself. 

2 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Gooder picture with the new headlights. 

212D2168-F33D-4805-B40B-64187A94A811.jpeg

Ran great. Took it to Tom’s on Monday to align it in his garage and it turned out really good. 

Today’s thing was I realized the aux fan wasn’t kicking on at all. I also turned on the ac (it’s not charged yet) just to see if the fan would come on as it should. While diagnosing that tonight I realized I wired in the temp sensor plug into the cars harness wrong. Basically flipped the low and high fan settings. 

Once that was corrected, I could jump the plug and get high to work but not low. Started at the fuse box and traced it down to the fans wire harness. I have 12v at the body harness for the fan. But from the connector to the resistor it drops to .3 volts. Yes. Point three. The ohm readings was scattered all over but never got close to 0. 

Once again, a used part bites me in the ass. Now to source a new fan. I am ordering an ac manifold and vacuum pump so I can try charging it myself. 

Was the cut off I sold you causing problems?

So you determined that the low speed resistor on the fan was bad?  I think I removed a failed resistor on an e30 once and just connected the wires.  Then when the temp sensor calls for low or high speed it will just run high speed.  Costs nothing and the fan runs on high speed right away.

• gilber33 changed the title to Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum