WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum

gilber33

That is for a power sunroof. So the emergency key isn’t for manual sunroofs. I found that what I’m missing is this little gear here:

7C4E06F7-FF7D-4449-A58B-94C8C3925358.jpeg
As you turn the handle, the little tooth on there catches the tooth on the inside of the gear that drives the gear to open and close the sunroof. So I need to source one of those. I am assuming that the handle broke - as appears to be very common - and the PO removed the handle and this stuff fell apart. I’m crossing my fingers the whole mechanism still works once I get the crank back together. 

35 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

I haven’t watched his content, just came up in search. Guessing by your comment I don’t need to watch lol

nah, just another youtuber learning as he goes. some things to learn, with sprinklings of dumb. 

also heard in that video: "if this in the video then i did it, if its not in the video, then I didnt even do it, so you wont even see this" 

brilliant. 

12 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Not knowing much about these: do I just get the crank and install that or do I buy the whole thing with the cables and everything as one large assembly. 

E109F19D-1AA1-4EC9-A59A-D44D4EB4DEFC.png

Ebay prices are ridiculous, do people actually pay that much for those?? I have an entire manual sunroof mechanism that worked perfectly when pulled that I have absolutely zero use for since neither of my cars have a sunroof. I'll PM you. 

Sanding is 99% done! I did some touch up with 320, then 400 everything, and then a quick once-over with 600. After cleaning everything up I found a couple spots that need a little attention, but all in all it's done. I cleaned up the garage, blew it out, took down all the plastic and started taking off some of the masking. Next up is to put up new plastic and masking. I plan to paint everything not on the car first and then paint the car a different night to keep paint dust from collecting on parts to a minimum. 

IMG_9433.JPG

And @m42b32 to the rescue! I'll be able to at least use this to see if my sunroof still works, and if it doesn't, I can swap in this working mechanism. Saved me a ton of money so it is very greatly appreciated. 

IMG_9430.JPG

On 3/31/2020 at 11:25 PM, straight6pwr said:

nah, just another youtuber learning as he goes. some things to learn, with sprinklings of dumb. 

also heard in that video: "if this in the video then i did it, if its not in the video, then I didnt even do it, so you wont even see this" 

brilliant. 

He’s like the only one that does E30 content, unless I haven’t come across them. All the other videos are from like 8 years ago recorded on a microwave.

Using the spare sunroof gears my sunroof tilts open but the gears are very sloppy when I try to slide it open. I am hoping the cassette is bad and I can replace that and be fine. 

The hard part is the front headliner panel is attached on top under the sunroof and to access those screws, I need to slide the sunroof open. I got a spare panel, so I may need to cut off the wrap that’s on it to access the cassette and hopefully fix it, and then put in the spare panel. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Still need to apply clear coat. It took five coats to get the hang of it. Had terrible issues with striping. Once I turned down the material adjustment a little bit and did much tighter passes it came out awesome. Doing large, flat areas is really hard. This is definitely not as easy as they make it look on YouTube. 

79F3548F-E744-4541-B201-CD01D40D9F74.jpeg

3CCBCAB1-5061-4F56-89F3-D977B3E5A97D.jpeg

C0D6D446-A577-437E-BA92-24B8CAFC65AD.jpeg

10 hours ago, B C said:

Looks great from here! Cant wait to see it in a few years after the apocalypse is over

Thank you! There are some minor streaks, but it has a good balance of being really good and not perfect because it’s not a show car. 

6 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Looks like a good match to delphin, nice work!

Thanks! It’s a little lighter than delphin I think. But, I like the color and I’m not changing it. Haha. 

51 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

It was an uneasy feeling at first, definitely. But it has three coats of clear on it which gives me a nice layer to work with and some reassurance I'm not going to mess it up. 

I am watching and learning.  I painted a hood and bumper cover for my van but did not do any finishing, I would like to clean it up a little because it has some orange peel and spots that feel rough like you mentioned.  Thanks for the walk through.

36 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

I am watching and learning.  I painted a hood and bumper cover for my van but did not do any finishing, I would like to clean it up a little because it has some orange peel and spots that feel rough like you mentioned.  Thanks for the walk through.

I really didn't want to wetsand. I had already spent so much time getting to the point of painting, that I was burnt out on it. But I was convinced to do it and after I started I'm really glad I did. Wetsanding showed me how many imperfections the clear coat had that you really can't see. When I'm all done I'll put together my overall thoughts on the whole project and what'd I'd do differently. 

• gilber33 changed the title to Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum