Jump to content
WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My e30 Progress - Now With Misc. Non-Volvo Content


gilber33
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hoping for some insight to better understand something. On my way to work this morning I did a WOT pull through most of the gears. When I came to a stop sign the idle was rough - rpm flucuating, the MPG needling swinging back and forth, the exhaust sounded a little lumpy. I started driving again and by the next stop sign a few miles later it was totally fine. Smooth idle, engine was smooth, etc. Got to work, turned it off and on a couple times and all was good. Listened to it idling with the hood up and reved it a few times. Sounded totally normal. 

 

What could have caused that? I will mention that a couple weeks ago the battery had died completely (left the doors and trunk open) and this is my first "hard" pull after getting the battery charged up and driving it again. I remember with my Volvo 740 wagon that also has a Bosch motronic system that after disconnecting the battery, it would usually take some time for the ECU to recalibrate. Is this perhaps the case here? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Hoping for some insight to better understand something. On my way to work this morning I did a WOT pull through most of the gears. When I came to a stop sign the idle was rough - rpm flucuating, the MPG needling swinging back and forth, the exhaust sounded a little lumpy. I started driving again and by the next stop sign a few miles later it was totally fine. Smooth idle, engine was smooth, etc. Got to work, turned it off and on a couple times and all was good. Listened to it idling with the hood up and reved it a few times. Sounded totally normal. 

 

What could have caused that? I will mention that a couple weeks ago the battery had died completely (left the doors and trunk open) and this is my first "hard" pull after getting the battery charged up and driving it again. I remember with my Volvo 740 wagon that also has a Bosch motronic system that after disconnecting the battery, it would usually take some time for the ECU to recalibrate. Is this perhaps the case here? 

Possibly need to clean the IAC? Not sure if you replaced or cleaned during your tear down of everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Just driving it an enjoying it.

F15D9032-AD9B-4BA2-AC02-13E52131F70E.jpeg

18BF0BC4-23E4-455A-9DD1-F7E857D46B68.jpeg

6D32DDAF-2677-41C2-BB55-AA1E2248D0D0.jpeg

As soon as the 850 is done, I have a small to-do list for it: 

  • Remove amp and subwoofer and put back in the "underseat" powered subwoofer. 
  • O2 sensor. 
  • Investigate intermittent clunk from rear. I believe it's tied to the sway bars. Either the mounts or the unsealed heim joints on the aftermarket sway bar endlinks. 

That's really about it right now. 

Took the car to Green Bay and back on Wednseday and it did great. It was wet and humid and then cool at night and the headlights stayed completely dry the whole time.

My only complaint is the car sitting at 3500 RPM while doing 70 on the highway with the 4.10 diff. But as I looked more into the 3.73, it sits at about the same if I were to go 80. I also read of a significant difference in feel of the car between the two, with the 4.10 being quite a bit snappier. I mean, it makes sense, I just didn't realize it would be as noticeable as others describe.

So, I will probably save $1,000 and just go 10mph slower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2022 at 2:03 PM, gilber33 said:

Just driving it an enjoying it.

F15D9032-AD9B-4BA2-AC02-13E52131F70E.jpeg

18BF0BC4-23E4-455A-9DD1-F7E857D46B68.jpeg

6D32DDAF-2677-41C2-BB55-AA1E2248D0D0.jpeg

As soon as the 850 is done, I have a small to-do list for it: 

  • Remove amp and subwoofer and put back in the "underseat" powered subwoofer. 
  • O2 sensor. 
  • Investigate intermittent clunk from rear. I believe it's tied to the sway bars. Either the mounts or the unsealed heim joints on the aftermarket sway bar endlinks. 

That's really about it right now. 

Took the car to Green Bay and back on Wednseday and it did great. It was wet and humid and then cool at night and the headlights stayed completely dry the whole time.

My only complaint is the car sitting at 3500 RPM while doing 70 on the highway with the 4.10 diff. But as I looked more into the 3.73, it sits at about the same if I were to go 80. I also read of a significant difference in feel of the car between the two, with the 4.10 being quite a bit snappier. I mean, it makes sense, I just didn't realize it would be as noticeable as others describe.

So, I will probably save $1,000 and just go 10mph slower.

Looks awesome! Details on the underseat sub?

Depending on how I feel about the 3.73 that I’m about to put into my car, I would maybe swap with you if yours is also a LSD. I’m not sure if it’ll lose a noticeable amount of pep with also going to a manual, but if I find I want something shorter I’d maybe entertain a trade. I try to do more backroad driving anyways, so ~3500-3600 on the interstate doesn’t bother me. Can’t hear the engine anyways over all the wind noise 😂
 

We could also start with you driving my car once it’s done for you to get a rough feel of the difference. There’s some weight penalty on mine for sure but I bet it’ll be enough to make a rough call. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Looks awesome! Details on the underseat sub?

Depending on how I feel about the 3.73 that I’m about to put into my car, I would maybe swap with you if yours is also a LSD. I’m not sure if it’ll lose a noticeable amount of pep with also going to a manual, but if I find I want something shorter I’d maybe entertain a trade. I try to do more backroad driving anyways, so ~3500-3600 on the interstate doesn’t bother me. Can’t hear the engine anyways over all the wind noise 😂
 

We could also start with you driving my car once it’s done for you to get a rough feel of the difference. There’s some weight penalty on mine for sure but I bet it’ll be enough to make a rough call. 

It’s just the Sound Ordinance low profile powered sub from crutchfield. It’s their house brand, for the price, it’s great. 
 

I would love to drive it and see how the 3.73 feels. I don’t do a lot of freeway driving but when I’m doing 50 hours of freeway driving for the rally this year, some taller gears would be nice. Mine is a LSD, so a straight I think could work if that’s what we’re both ultimately interested in. 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2022 at 8:07 PM, gilber33 said:

Didn’t take any pics of the e30 at the picnic. But in case I missed you, I was the one with 3 car seats in the back! 

Didn't get a chance to meet you but your girls were very well behaved! They enjoyed seeing our puppy haha. Paint job looks great man, overall the car has come a long way since I last saw it 4+ years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2022 at 8:05 PM, wasnt m3 said:

Tight fit with the car seats! Was nice re-meeting you, glad you made it!

Thanks! And likewise. 👍🏻

On 6/2/2022 at 1:06 PM, YoungCR said:

Didn't get a chance to meet you but your girls were very well behaved! They enjoyed seeing our puppy haha. Paint job looks great man, overall the car has come a long way since I last saw it 4+ years ago. 

Thank you! And thanks for giving them something to occupy their time with. Haha. They actually seem to enjoy doing these things. My middle one said to me “I’m excited to see race cars! Regular cars? Nope. Just race cars.”

I should really make the time to do one of the more personal get togethers so I can really put names to faces. In college my friend and his close group of VW/Audi friends would do dollar burgers at Bar Louie every week. It was neat to be a part of that. 
 

Title of the thread will need to be updated. Said farewell to the 850 today. Going to a cool Volvo guy who’s buying it for his daughters to drive. It was kinda sad, but I felt a huge relief knowing I only had one “project” car. For the first time in a few months I felt like I wasn’t thinking about what needed to be done on a car in the back of my mind. 
F4D75F8B-F9D1-40C0-A18F-672EA7A0D439.jpeg

BB74176E-17C9-439C-807C-A20A3287B083.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • gilber33 changed the title to My e30 Progress - Now With Misc. Non-Volvo Content
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve been daily driving the e30 for a couple months now. Other than one scare when it wouldn’t start at work it’s been great! Thought the starter failed after I got to work one day but it was actually the engine to frame ground. I assume the starter is grounded to the engine block? Anywho. 
 

Anywho, here’s some neat pictures from cruising around the area last night. 
 

8477B2C9-5013-4984-A00F-568746D94A40.jpeg

89BC39F1-2C1E-4666-B8E5-20BBA8B69DE0.jpeg

FC16A9C1-DC44-462F-9C80-21B6149E40AA.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Finally picked up the new daily! After ruling out many of the other European SUVs, I kept coming back to the X5. After a lot of browsing I realized I wanted one with nicer wheels and either sport or comfort seats. The other features weren’t as important. 
 

There were some in Chicagoland, but driving down there with my wife and then driving two cars back through there with her by herself isn’t something I wanted to do. Fortunately, I found a strong contender to the north of me in Neenah. We went up there Saturday morning, checked it out, and bought it. 
 

2015 Xdrive35i with M-Sport package. The PO also has an e70 diesel with m sport, an M650, e46 M3, and a new X7. He was selling the X5’s to make room for his new M3 Comp. So it was coming from someone who knew the cars and I really liked that. 
 

Anyways, I’ve only been driving it for two days, but it is so awesome. All three kids fit comfortably with three across forward facing car seats. The storage in the boot is great. The car in Sport mode is quicker than I thought it would be and the paddle shifters are reallly good. 

A10BD017-1074-4E24-BCC7-A2EB3312B58D.jpeg

3787B208-C104-4BBA-843E-F040AE3451E6.jpeg

1DA30B5B-FBD8-4346-BB06-117120B205E2.jpeg

6E2D0077-92E3-4310-8A14-118C4A088A5F.jpeg

C3F2484D-17F1-488C-9033-5ED1A1AA9800.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

Great color combination. The F15 X5's are incredibly good looking.

 

Will be the most likely successor to the my E90 after it has served it's purpose for me. Or an E70.

They really are. This is my first SUV and I love how well it does everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pynacl said:

Man that is a gorgeous interior, what is that option called? I'm picking up an F15 35d this weekend (sadly not M Sport), so pumped!

Thanks! Ironically my wife’s Atlas is also white on brown. Haha. 
 

I’m not sure. These are the only options I see tied to the interior  

Leather Dakota / Mokka

S4DDFine-Wood Trim Fineline Pur

SLEDELeather Equipment

 

I was between this one and a 35d and I couldn’t find any reasons to get the diesel other than mileage. Everyone I asked their only reasons were MILEAGE AND TORQUE BABY! But this one had the m sport package and the diesel didn’t, so I went with this one. And I have zero regrets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Getting familiar with this car. Transmission pan and fluid, transfer case fluid, front diff fluid, oil change, and eventually a tune up. 

BF8ED80E-6945-411D-BA0D-B880F3803FD6.jpeg

Also new tires. 
 

So far found a cross threaded oil drain plug and JB welded fuel tank vent tube on the intake duct. 

Once the fluids are done I’ll order a new intake duct, valve cover vent hose, and fuel tank vent tube and then will do all the filters, spark plugs, and coils. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got the same list to do on my F15! So annoying the diffs / transfer case only have fill plugs so you have to suck the old fluid out with a vacuum pump. My X5 has 145k on it with original fluids, so I'm especially nervous how the fluids will look (trans especially).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, pynacl said:

I've got the same list to do on my F15! So annoying the diffs / transfer case only have fill plugs so you have to suck the old fluid out with a vacuum pump. My X5 has 145k on it with original fluids, so I'm especially nervous how the fluids will look (trans especially).

Not sure how I accidentally included a video of my youngest daughter. Haha. 
 

Here was my transfer case fluid. Front diff fluid and transmission fluid didn’t look terrible, but they were pretty stinky. 
 

0432FC38-2040-49DA-BE6F-101C760513E4.jpeg

 

Tue front diff has a drain plug. Not sure about the rear. And getting the fluid out of the TC with a pump was pretty easy. I got a longer and more flexible hose from the hardware store  for my little fluid pump and that made getting everything out of the TC easier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I plan on doing a full fluid refresh on my E90 as well. Seems to be doing fine with 102K, but just for a peace of mind thing. transfer case, differential, and transmission fluid with filter.

I've seen you going to town on the X5 groups regarding the hesitation/shake you are feeling on decel lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

I've seen you going to town on the X5 groups regarding the hesitation/shake you are feeling on decel lol

Seeing something similar with mine, but it’s on accel up hill at low RPM. Hoping fresh fluids in the diffs / trans / transfer case help things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

I plan on doing a full fluid refresh on my E90 as well. Seems to be doing fine with 102K, but just for a peace of mind thing. transfer case, differential, and transmission fluid with filter.

I've seen you going to town on the X5 groups regarding the hesitation/shake you are feeling on decel lol

Yeah, there just isn’t anything I can find on forums or groups about what I’m feeling. Low speed accel, turning, etc all seem to have others experiencing it, but coasting to a stop just doesn’t have much info. But people came out when I shared that info that they had that at one point too. 
 

The whole thing is pretty new to me. It’s my newest car I’ve ever owned. All of my “newer” cars have been Volvos and they’re completely different than this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2022 at 12:45 PM, GunMetalGrey said:

What have you guys been doing for proper fluid level? The BMW procedure is quite... intensive
Though at least you have a lift!

The TC and front diff both have fill plugs that are also for the fluid level and the transmission is the same way but you have to do the final fill when the transmission is between 40-50°c.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Visited a friend in Minneapolis this past weekend and one of the days we drove the course of the 2020 OC Rally down to Suncrest Gardens pizza farm through western WI. All in about 1k miles over the weekend. I’ve done about 3500 miles on the car this summer with really no issues. 
 

D4CAB1F8-10C3-48EE-B4A5-E2B2C494FB39.jpeg

7E0EFBFC-C565-4020-8FF4-B7D161AA9AFA.jpeg

DFF89E9C-1C59-4034-BBC9-E74F0803CCDE.jpeg

 

On the X5 I replaced spark plugs, coil packs, air filter, intake duct, and fuel vent tube. Running awesome. 🤌🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.