WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum

gilber33

Hey guys. I drained the oil last night to work on the gauge senders and my oil has this metal “wave” in it. This is the third time the oil has been drained and maybe 500 miles on the engine rebuild. What are your thoughts on it? Tom recommended cutting the oil filter in half and will do that tomorrow night. I have a magnetic drain plug and it had sole residue on it, but nothing more, maybe less, than my previous cars always had on their drain plugs. 

119B6BA9-095F-4AAC-835F-B4FDB07EEB46.jpeg

1 hour ago, B C said:

Option 1:  post this up on www.bobistheoilguy.com and walk away with PTSD

Option 2: use a high quality oil filter and send a sample in to Blackstone during your next oil change.

I've read posts on Bob's forum and I have no interest posting there. lol. 

I was gonig to check the oil this morning to see if the stuff was magnetic or not and it was gone. So I'm wondering if this was some weird froth or something? I don't know. I was freaked out given I just rebuilt the engine and it was my first time. The 20w50 oil in 20-30* is very, very thick, so I couldn't imagine that if it was tiny metal dust that it would have sunk. 

Well, besides the oil, last night I got the coolant and oil filter housing bolt tapped for the senders. The bimmerheads oil pressure sender adapter had the hole tapped on the wrong side. When I screwed it into the block, their port was always facing the block. So I had to drill and tap a hole on the other side and then ordered some 1/8npt plugs. 

6FBFEE3E-22FE-4021-9618-3BB60DB0324E.jpeg

I know the holes are exactly in the middle. I did my best. Get off my back. 

2 hours ago, gilber33 said:

I know the holes are exactly in the middle. I did my best. Get off my back. 

i've seen worse from actual manufacturers these days.  i wish i would have saved the socket cap bolt that was sent as a kit with some cheap rear dog-bone arms for the e34. the hex opening in the head was like this: (photoshop representation)

socketcap.jpg

10 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

i've seen worse from actual manufacturers these days.  i wish i would have saved the socket cap bolt that was sent as a kit with some cheap rear dog-bone arms for the e34. the hex opening in the head was like this: (photoshop representation)

socketcap.jpg

That's hilarious. It would be entertaining to watch someone tighten one of those down with a drill. 

Feels like I got way more done than I really did. Wiring is so time consuming. 

New pressure switch with the factory plug removed for a universal two plug connector. Also, never knew that non insulated crimp connected was a thing. 

8053B379-3A4A-4063-AF78-A8B5C7176CE1.jpeg

E67856EB-30EC-4D35-AF01-2D5C7FE764FE.jpeg

Aux fan temp switch plug spliced in since the other one had rotted apart. The wire gauge difference between the e30 and e36 is impressive  

2B82D822-3E92-4612-BD94-2D2E9BAEFB46.jpeg

8EB3D5F1-A175-42F4-9234-F81DFA4EB8CF.jpeg

The old r12 high pressure sensor grounded to itself. 
6471E97E-01A4-4596-8C48-8BF6D013BC40.jpeg

Got the gauge sender units all in. 

D5014FCC-B2D2-42D0-AA1D-B0DACE2273EF.jpeg

80B7AEB1-7155-4247-A6D0-50A468FCB057.jpeg

And lastly, took the oil filter apart. Looks pretty good to me. 

751FC628-DC4A-4ACD-BF3B-4C8A96D1412F.jpeg

E13590C8-9818-4F37-A6C1-C4DE9980B36B.jpeg

21 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

smart ideas on those non-insulated crimps since you're just gonna tape over them anyways. 

you should try the heat shrink adhesive filled ones. life changers. even if you fubar the crimp they dont come apart, and there is no need for tape or shrink wrap after.

Ugh. I was going to get some of the adhesive ones from Amazon but had a role of some heat shrink left over. I still used heat shrink on all of the crimps and the tape I'm using is more for a wire loom and cleanliness. 

Wired in a plug for the gauge senders so the engine and body harness can be two separate things. 

76A51CBD-37E5-482E-A409-AA99DAA1FBB6.jpeg

Took out the front my suspension and gave it the Por15 treatment. I have new bearings and strut mounts for that. And once that’s back in the fenders can go back on. I’m very excited about that. 

993969A9-F2FC-491B-A2F8-9C39EB568B61.jpeg

CAA24258-0660-4D62-965B-976FC076ED3A.jpeg

Picked up this little tool cart from Amazon for $30 Prime. Outfitted it with a bottle opener and can holder. Helps keep me organized rather than spreading tools all over the floor. 

8F8D8452-4615-4234-849B-E1E426670066.jpeg

And my belt driven compressor is for sale if anyone is interested. Great for light projects but it wasn’t as strong as I wanted it when I was running an impact. Got the Sanborn for a good deal and it’s more powerful. Although now that I realized I can wire in a 220 outlet, this one may go as well. 

2AA95414-B083-4FE2-B400-292DE8F71157.jpeg

@P_Roloff is correct

check this video: at 4:10 he removes the top mount which someone failed to put the washer/dust cap under. you can see how gross the bearing is and at 4:20 you can see how badly the bottom of the bearing chewed grooves into the top spring plate. at 17:35 you can see him correctly installing the washer/dust cap on reassembly.

4 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

another tip: before you install, pack the top mount bearing with more grease if it seems inadequate on either the top or bottom.

Also, keep in mind if you mix types of grease it can cause chemical reactions that will potentially cause premature wear! Sounds dumb, but I worked in a bike shop for 10+ years, and I have personally witnessed countless times that mixed types of grease caused chemical reactions that ate through bearings, bearing races, and softer material components such as plastics and urethanes. I always thoroughly clean parts before I re-grease or add grease to them if I don't know the type of grease that was originally installed.  

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/greasy-situation-can-you-mix-grease/

• gilber33 changed the title to Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum