Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum

gilber33

25 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Ditch that tumor of a damper 

How do I remove it?

24 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

what do you mean by 'too large'? 

realoem cross references the same giubo to nearly every every e30:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?id=1123-USA-02-1990-E30-BMW-325i&mg=26&sg=10&diagId=26_0023&q=26111225624&series=E30

in any case, as long as the bolt hole locations are the same, either one will work. the driveshaft splines takes up the difference if one is thicker.

The giubo I ordered that is listed for a manual transmission and is gab01017 and the one on my car gab01009. 

Auto: 

FFB304F2-698C-4AB1-95F3-2674FA742CAC.png

Manual:

44271B00-3C15-4526-AEE6-BE8689794AB1.png

They are visibly different sizes. From what I can gather the manual has a 78mm bolt hole distance and the auto has a 110mm distance. The one I ordered (for a manual car) is way too big. The bolt holes are not even close to lining up.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is a long term issue with having a giubo for an automatic car paired with a manual transmission.

edit edit: I guess the e30 came with two types of flanges - small and large. And the late models typically had the smaller. It's weird that the part number of the smaller flange would fall under and automatic transmission listing though. Either way, seems like it should be fine. I'm returning the one I ordered, so with that said does the one in my car look fine? I know when they are visibly torn they need to be replaced ASAP, but I'm trying to eliminate any drivetrain slop - and I do not know if these can wear to the point where they look fine on the outside, but the material is worn enough where it produces some noises?

7 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

I should be able to start the car tonight, but I don't want to take it out for its first shakedown to seat the rings when it's dark out. Does anyone see any issues with me starting it tonight and bleeding the cooling system but not taking it out right away?

Yes,  you could be kidnapped and never know how it drives.

Drove it to work for the first time for the third time. 😑

43B52E32-717E-49F7-835A-C1E4784EE2DF.jpeg

Also, I’m sure you’re all dying for an update on the playhouse. It’s drywalled, taped, mudded, and painted. Other than staining the floor and interior accessories, it’s pretty much done. Put these adorable solar lights on it. 

D739E92D-8040-4E75-BD7D-A50CBF528C4D.jpeg

And my shed is almost done! Wrapping these up is a huge relief. 

3866FB09-C7B1-4E26-8374-FE16E96011AE.jpeg

Impressive! Me and wood do not get along.

Playhouse doesn’t appear to meet required egress codes as the grass could obstruct the door in the event of a fire. Also  Wis. Stat. M20.b25(e)(30) states that “No external structure shall take precedence over completion of any existing E30 builds, and something something about culverts.. or culvers...”

I’ll give it a B+

I like the look of those knobs, but they can be kind of pricey.

I do need to change up my current one though. I tried my Nardi on and it felt so sloppy because the knob is so light.

I am debating getting one of those IRP short shifter centering shifting deals as @suspenceful's feels like an bolt action shifter. Granted, these can be very pricey. But for how much you use it, I feel it's worth the price.

55 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

I like the look of those knobs, but they can be kind of pricey.

I do need to change up my current one though. I tried my Nardi on and it felt so sloppy because the knob is so light.

I am debating getting one of those IRP short shifter centering shifting deals as @suspenceful's feels like an bolt action shifter. Granted, these can be very pricey. But for how much you use it, I feel it's worth the price.

$114 for a shift knob is more than I wanted to pay, but I was willing to pay a little more something that worked well and that fit the era of the car. 

I would say the extra height gives it a little more “slop”, but I haven’t had an issue with missing a gear. 

39 minutes ago, B C said:

I know it always fees like an accomplishment when I have my kids in the BMW and am running errands. Makes the car’s existence feel more legitimate and justifiable

I totally agree. I wanted this to be my fun car, but I also did things in a way that we could use it for day trips and everyone would still be comfortable. It’s a really good feeling when my family is in it. 

Ive also been dailying it for the past week while I give the wagon a tune up and repair the AWD. It’s been very pleasant. 

• gilber33 changed the title to Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum