WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum

gilber33

13 minutes ago, B C said:

Thats fine, and on older engines it is preferable for the lip seals to ride deeper or shallower than normal to avoid riding in the minute groove that is formed on the shaft surface

That outer lip doesn’t even touch the crank. The inner seal do for sure, just not the outer one. That’s okay? 

The actual sealing lip is further back like so.

A7D53186-E656-46C0-824C-4EEC738E6F3C.png.b1273adddd5f52d5ff15dafde43840bf.png

Trust your gut, if you feel funny about it, redo it with a new seal and also check to make sure the aluminum seal housing is sitting flush on the block. Kind of a dumb suggestion but its the only thing im coming up with off the top of my head that could physically affect the seal position

49 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

theres like 100 types of shaft seals, this should not be weird to you.

InternalType.gif

This is the first time I’ve seen one that was “open” on the face like that. It’s the only seal on the m20 like that and I’ve never seen one on all of the Volvo’s I’ve owned. 

Tonight I got the old engine out and transmission off and moved some more stuff over to the new engine. 

0AFE57C5-7975-440C-94E7-D91C32D6A4BB.jpeg

Also so finished the roof on the playhouse. Need to put in one more window and then finishing trimming it out. Then the next project is a garden shed off the back of the garage and the siding that is coming off of the garage will be going on here. 

C6270BA1-B5FD-46D5-89A6-DA06F8679657.jpeg

59 minutes ago, B C said:

What was the benefit of the new engine? lower miles? 

and stop trying to beat my record for M20 extractions!!!!

Lol. This is the 3rd time. 

I’ve never done a full tear down and rebuild of an engine. Was getting a lot of drivetrain noise and needed to pull the engine to check the clutch. Figured it was a good time to do and drop it in. Fresh hone, new rings, new bearings, and a refreshed head. 

We’re having our 3rd child in November and I decided while I have the time I’ll get this one in and get the car as reliable as it can be. We’re also doing a home addition next year, so I will very limited access to the garage. 😔

Also, thank you to whoever updated the thread title. Lol

16 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

Still have plans to make the core support removable? 

Not with this round of things. Don’t want to spend too much time with extra stuff. More focused on getting the drivetrain solid and running again. Eventually, yes.  

Maybe. 

50 minutes ago, B C said:

image.png.a27380ed6f4ada26bf405cd14475c850.png

Kid #3 really cut into the time and money I had available for meth, hopefully you can maintain a proper balance 

I mean, it is what it is. My wife and I have talked about what we can do to maintain the balance. If that’s picking up some side “jobs” here and there at night, requesting grants from business owners (mostly gas stations), selling my unused semen and bone marrow. There’s lots options. 

Engine is back in the car with the stock flywheel. The lightweight one will be for sale. Just need to work on the driveshaft stuff  

8A598669-5DE9-49EA-A40A-F88912EB1D55.jpeg

And of course the update on the playhouse. It’s sided and partially painted. Tonight I will be making and staining the shutters and door so I can seal it up to finish the inside. 

48CF1508-7D05-43F3-9417-3DAE5116A308.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jdesign said:

I was hoping to see the engine in the play house, but I guess dreamers will be dreamers. Nice hustle on getting all that stuff done.

Thank you! It’s been exhausting. I’ve also framed and sheathed the shed between these two projects. Sometimes I think I started too much at once this time around.😩  

So tonight I was going to replace the giubo and the one I got was too large. After digging around I learned that the one on my car is for an auto. Last time I checked my car is definitely manual. I know the PO replaces the diff, but, how else would this be? Gab01-009 is the auto giubo and gab01-017 is the manual giubo  

67387A30-C5D1-4FBE-A502-1F18BBD4929E.jpeg

Also, is this an issue??

what do you mean by 'too large'? 

realoem cross references the same giubo to nearly every every e30:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?id=1123-USA-02-1990-E30-BMW-325i&mg=26&sg=10&diagId=26_0023&q=26111225624&series=E30

in any case, as long as the bolt hole locations are the same, either one will work. the driveshaft splines takes up the difference if one is thicker.

• gilber33 changed the title to Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum