WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum

gilber33

Other than the exhaust a few small things in the engine, the big stuff is all done. Last few to do's are remote door lock thing install, new head unit that blends in better than the cheap one I got last year, would like to attempt to peel the tint off. 

CCC942BF-BE22-4D43-8ADD-E6CFF291B877.jpeg

EF7B356C-2478-425D-BBD6-9891DBCF0CAC.jpeg

Got some bmw center stickers 

0A69C6C2-29BF-4B85-8CDD-ED3FE5F93481.jpeg

8C42A64B-7228-4EBC-B657-0676C33AE7EA.jpeg

And finally put my family stick people on it. Lol. Came free in a Road and Track magazine. 

6E04534D-BAFB-4E8E-BDF5-A3600CC3C9F4.jpeg

28 minutes ago, The Full Banana said:

At first, I thought your stickers depicted two wives of varying sizes. 

Engine bay is looking fantastic!

I've always had a thing for wives that were my exact height and wives who are just a hair shorter. Couldn't make up my mind so I got one of each. 

17 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Because of the glue used for the tint? 

Any tips or tricks you can recommend? I was gonna go at it with a heat gun and just start peeling. 

Steam. Use a steamer, not a heat gun and save yourself a ton of time. You can get them as cheap as $10, although a bigger one might be a better idea. the one I used was $30 and has a cloth pad which made it perfect for window tint removal. Similar to this:

Image result for steam cleaner

52 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Steam. Use a steamer, not a heat gun and save yourself a ton of time. You can get them as cheap as $10, although a bigger one might be a better idea. the one I used was $30 and has a cloth pad which made it perfect for window tint removal. Similar to this:

This!

I had some pretty awful tint on my old M3 (turning purple, way too dark, bubbling all over the rear window). I used a handheld garment steamer since that was what was available, a larger device would definitely be recommended. Left over glue can be removed with ammonia, though make sure to do it in a VERY well ventilated area or you will end up feeling like garbage. I definitely don't want to do that job ever again... 

On 3/14/2019 at 9:38 AM, Bassboy3313 said:

sounds like having a tinting company remove it may be worth it.....

There is a mobile tint guy in the cedarburg area that did one of my old cars, and he'd remove the tint for about $120. Definitely worth it. 

In the meantime, exhaust back in including new eBay cat back. 

61F9C2BC-3E9C-4614-97D8-00A06016351E.jpeg

Got a subwoofer for the trunk to fill in some bass from the old speakers. 

FCB60DDD-BB61-45F0-89CE-0D11486DC53D.jpeg

Got the head off the donor engine and really happy with how the cylinder walls looked. 

0E78CB62-F5C0-44EA-94CF-213EBA994C6E.jpeg

44 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

pretty awesome considering that piston may have slid along that bore roughly 30 billion times.

My quick estimation is around maybe 500 million reciprocations per 100,000 miles driven. You're either bad at math or using hyperbole.

• gilber33 changed the title to Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum