WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum

gilber33

The rack is in.

On 7/11/2018 at 11:39 AM, Jdesign said:

The motor looks great, its a shame you have to take it back apart. 😕

I plan on dropping it in whole. So I can keep on working on it little by little. 

On 7/11/2018 at 1:24 PM, SteelBlue said:

Any update on the rack situation? Will be doing the same thing shortly.

It's all in. My issue with it was none of the write ups mentioned that the steering column does not have the slot for the pinch bolt, so you can use it to get the knuckle to the right length. 

Since I did this without the engine in the car I didn't remove the entire knuckle from the column, otherwise I would have known that. 

52 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

With fire!  Stock ones pull off, some aftermarket might have a set screw?

Someone else suggested that. I'm going to try that next. I'm doing a short shifter anyways, so if I don't find a set screw, then sawzall it is. 

I tried pulling it off and that thing is not budging. 

Yeah, I suppose I could have done that too. I just used a hammer and beat the selector out of the knob. I'm not keeping either, so I didn't really care. 

Also decided to switch focus to the drivetrain so I can get the engine back in the car. New clutch, rebuilding selector rod stuff and shaft seals for the transmission. 

So, I know this is where the two sensors run across the front of the engine and there's a plastic cover for them. I assume this is where they go, but I dont remember how that cover or wires are secured to the front timing belt cover, but I assume it has something to do with these two holes. Any direction?

20180716_161007.jpg

1 hour ago, jc43089 said:

Looks like rear main, the one lower in the picture is the front main housing cover which also has the intermediate shaft seal. 

OK. That's what I thought because it looks like the right shape. But it was really confusing that it is including in timing belt cover kits. Wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

More.  

Going to be doing the input and output shaft seal on the transmission. I read its advised to use thread sealant on the splines, threads, and backside of the flange of the nut. OEM stuff is the curil k2, does anyone know of a good product that can be had locally? 

• gilber33 changed the title to Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum