WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum

gilber33

1 hour ago, snap said:

Engine cleanup is satisfying. 

I was watching these two  Black-Headed Grosbeaks (Pheucticus melanocephalus) the other day splashing about in a bird bath and I thought to myself how neat it would be if an engine could do the same thing!!!

I was going to wheel it into my driveway to power wash it. Good thing I didn't because my driveway would have been ruined. 

1 hour ago, snap said:

Engine cleanup is satisfying. 

I was watching these two  Black-Headed Grosbeaks (Pheucticus melanocephalus) the other day splashing about in a bird bath and I thought to myself how neat it would be if an engine could do the same thing!!!

you need another car project so we can stop muddling through bird watching references.

37 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

Quick question:

Can I run the m50 injectors without a chip? I kniw they're a recommended upgrade from the m20 injectors. 

Yep, the M50 injectors are 17.5# @ 3.5 bar and close to the stock M20 14.5# at the M20 fuel pressure (3.0 bar)

On 6/21/2018 at 5:52 PM, snap said:

Yep, the M50 injectors are 17.5# @ 3.5 bar and close to the stock M20 14.5# at the M20 fuel pressure (3.0 bar)

So looking around at injectors I am seeing green tops and blue tops from the M50. Do you know which one I want? 

Edit: maybe there aren't two different colors, and the light blue I'm seeing is a faded green? I 

6 minutes ago, snap said:

I most commonly see them in the lighter green, but the darker green are also M50 injectors. Be advised that Volvo 32# also come in that dark green

C99A4E63-57F4-4C2F-83B1-B46FA0A3242E.thumb.jpeg.4da02d3dce74b30f8b8f1b7f2f36ad25.jpeg

That bottom one matches what is in the ebay ad. That helps.  

The Volvo ones are a different "body". I've used them for a couple builds and that's what is stock in my R. 

Another question:

I put in the new torx head bolts, torqued them down, and then just realized the old head bolts had washers. I didn't use them, I see most people say they should be used. I want to put them in, but are my head bolts garbage now?

I know they're torqued down but the engine hasn't, obviously, been ran or anything, are the new head bolts garbage if I remove them to install the washers? 

Ran into some issues with trying to put in the new steering rack. I got the Garagistic spacer kit (which was a PITA to put in) but once that was in I could not line up the new rack at either the front or rear bolt holes. The rack doesn't match the front bolt holes anyways, so I guess that doesn't matter. 

But here are a couple pics. This is as far as I can get the bolt through the subframe on the DS. I do not have enough room to tilt the rack all the way to get the bolt through the bottom hole. Additionally, just to get it started the steering column pieces are separated where the spacers are which is shown in the images. 

I think the only way to make it fit is by having the steering rack splines further into the column, but then the pinch bolt wouldn't fit into the slot on the rack. 

The rack apparently came from a 1999 E36 M3. Any help is appreciated.

20180704_151724.jpg

20180704_151729.jpg

• gilber33 changed the title to Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum