WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum

gilber33

You should look into a used one.  I bought mine used for 60$ I think.  

Here are a couple in my area, just watch craigslist.  You can get a lot more for your money.  Then you will have some money left for a filter/regulator setup.  An oil free compressor will not last long under hard usage like painting.

https://wausau.craigslist.org/for/d/stevens-point-air-compressor/6972619791.html

https://wausau.craigslist.org/tls/d/port-edwards-roll-air-compressor/6949521027.html

Why can you not do a 240V unit?  You can buy used ones for cheap and they are so much more powerful.  If you need advice about wiring it I am a master electrician, it's not hard at all.

9 hours ago, jc43089 said:

You should look into a used one.  I bought mine used for 60$ I think.  

Here are a couple in my area, just watch craigslist.  You can get a lot more for your money.  Then you will have some money left for a filter/regulator setup.  An oil free compressor will not last long under hard usage like painting.

https://wausau.craigslist.org/for/d/stevens-point-air-compressor/6972619791.html

https://wausau.craigslist.org/tls/d/port-edwards-roll-air-compressor/6949521027.html

Why can you not do a 240V unit?  You can buy used ones for cheap and they are so much more powerful.  If you need advice about wiring it I am a master electrician, it's not hard at all.

Because my garage is wired for 120v and it’s detached from the house. 

There’s this one locally to me: 

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/d/waukesha-speedaire-air-compressor/6966869481.html

I assume that 4.9 scfm @ 100psi would mean that it’s well above 6 scfm @ 40psi

Perfect time to bury a feeder for 40-60 amps and have MORE POWAAAAAAAA!  ;)

That looks alright, maybe on the high side of price for a used compressor.  

Check this one out.  My small one is a Puma and it has been working great for many years.  This one is belt drive which means it will be quieter than the direct drive units. 

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/d/germantown-puma-air-compressor/6963043391.html

Here is a listing for a new one 450$.  It says 3.8 @ 40 and 3 @ 90.  It seems like it would pump more than that but with additional storage it would work well.  I think Napa also sells Puma compressors.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Puma-PK2011VP-Air-Compressor/p11112.html

21 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Perfect time to bury a feeder for 40-60 amps and have MORE POWAAAAAAAA!  ;)

That looks alright, maybe on the high side of price for a used compressor.  

Check this one out.  My small one is a Puma and it has been working great for many years.  This one is belt drive which means it will be quieter than the direct drive units. 

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/d/germantown-puma-air-compressor/6963043391.html

Here is a listing for a new one 450$.  It says 3.8 @ 40 and 3 @ 90.  It seems like it would pump more than that but with additional storage it would work well.  I think Napa also sells Puma compressors.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Puma-PK2011VP-Air-Compressor/p11112.html

If you want to come over and tell my wife that I’m going to spend a weekend running new wire out to the garage so I can have a more powerful compressor to have more capabilities to paint my car and she’ll need to watch our 3yo and 1yo while 6mos pregnant by herself you’re more than welcome to. Lol.

I have 120 now and I’m going to work within the parameters of what I have. 

And I did see that one in Germantown but when I looked up the specs, I found the scfm is really low. Seems like it should pump out more than that, but I’m not risking it. 

1 hour ago, gilber33 said:

If you want to come over and tell my wife that I’m going to spend a weekend running new wire out to the garage so I can have a more powerful compressor to have more capabilities to paint my car and she’ll need to watch our 3yo and 1yo while 6mos pregnant by herself you’re more than welcome to. Lol.

I have 120 now and I’m going to work within the parameters of what I have. 

And I did see that one in Germantown but when I looked up the specs, I found the scfm is really low. Seems like it should pump out more than that, but I’m not risking it. 

I can relate, and buying the wire, breakers, panel etc would be at least 300$ depending on how far you have to go.  That one you linked does look good, when you go get it check if it has water in the tank, that might indicate if the owner usually drained it after use or left it with water inside to rust.  Those older ones like that are built heavy duty, not like the newer throwaway stuff.

34 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

I can relate, and buying the wire, breakers, panel etc would be at least 300$ depending on how far you have to go.  That one you linked does look good, when you go get it check if it has water in the tank, that might indicate if the owner usually drained it after use or left it with water inside to rust.  Those older ones like that are built heavy duty, not like the newer throwaway stuff.

It’s about 40 feet to the garage. Plus another 30 feet from the house to the panel. 

My one concern is the compressor only says what the rating is at 100psi. So how do I know it’s going to be sufficient at 40psi? I ASSUME it will be, but is there a way to know? 

30 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

It’s about 40 feet to the garage. Plus another 30 feet from the house to the panel. 

My one concern is the compressor only says what the rating is at 100psi. So how do I know it’s going to be sufficient at 40psi? I ASSUME it will be, but is there a way to know? 

The ratio is not fixed because it changes based on the compressor dimension bore x stroke will change the compression ratio.  But it is usually somewhat higher so i would think it would be fine, also I saw on craigslist several portable tanks for cheap (usually old oil free air compressors that failed and the compressor is removed)  I got my 30 gallon upright tank for 20$ and it is a nice wheeled one from a craftsman compressor.  I will try to take some pictures of how I plumbed it to be easy to fill and then use the air, just having it between the compressor and my tools eliminates a lot of moisture at the point of use because it has time to cool and condense.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:24 AM, jc43089 said:

The ratio is not fixed because it changes based on the compressor dimension bore x stroke will change the compression ratio.  But it is usually somewhat higher so i would think it would be fine, also I saw on craigslist several portable tanks for cheap (usually old oil free air compressors that failed and the compressor is removed)  I got my 30 gallon upright tank for 20$ and it is a nice wheeled one from a craftsman compressor.  I will try to take some pictures of how I plumbed it to be easy to fill and then use the air, just having it between the compressor and my tools eliminates a lot of moisture at the point of use because it has time to cool and condense. 

I'm likely picking up that Speedaire compressor and my Dad has a 20 gallon tank sitting in his shop that he doesn't use. I'll build a little rack for the compressor and tank and plumb them together with an inline dryer. At the end of the day I'll have an oil-lubricated compressor with about 40 gallons of air. Should be sufficient to do what I want with it. It will also be nice to get some air tools again.

21 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Awesome, that will be a good setup.  It will have no trouble running impacts, die grinders etc all day.  The right tools sure speeds up projects.

Any benefit to using pipe VS hose to hook the two tanks together? Obviously using some short sections of hose and fittings would be much easier. 

4 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Any benefit to using pipe VS hose to hook the two tanks together? Obviously using some short sections of hose and fittings would be much easier. 

You could, I use hose because it is portable and easily reconfigured.  I usually use a pretty short hose between the compressor and extra tank, it flows pretty fast even with a regular 3/8" hose that is 25' long.  I like to fill the portable tank and then unhook the hose and drain the compressor.  Then I can use the tank on wheels for airing up tires and little things until the pressure is too low and it needs filling again.  I would recommend thread sealant like Rectorseal 5 to make a perfectly leak free system.  Thread tape can be ok but sometimes leaks.  You can get a jar for a couple bucks at my store.

19 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

You could, I use hose because it is portable and easily reconfigured.  I usually use a pretty short hose between the compressor and extra tank, it flows pretty fast even with a regular 3/8" hose that is 25' long.  I like to fill the portable tank and then unhook the hose and drain the compressor.  Then I can use the tank on wheels for airing up tires and little things until the pressure is too low and it needs filling again.  I would recommend thread sealant like Rectorseal 5 to make a perfectly leak free system.  Thread tape can be ok but sometimes leaks.  You can get a jar for a couple bucks at my store.

I’ll use regular hose. I’m going to build a rack that will stack the 2nd tank on top of the compressor, so the hose will only be a couple feet connecting the two. 

First tank acquired  though! 

4A3D0FA8-2329-4A07-AD20-2D7C55174201.jpeg

15 minutes ago, REKIII said:

You will want at lease a short section of flexible.  The aircompressor vibrates when running....a lot, the expansion tank wont.  The vibration load on the connection, if all solid, will cause something to crack at some point.

That’s a really good point. I didn’t think of that. I’ll use regular compressor hose since the distance will be so short. 

Been driving the car to work once in a while and I've noticed that the oil pressure light stays on for a couple seconds on cold starts. I'm going to get a new oil pressure sensor, but I'm just curious what people's thoughts are? It didn't always do this. I remember it turning of instantly - I think even with this engine when I first got it back in. 

• gilber33 changed the title to Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum