WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum

gilber33

• 2 months later...

Update: We moved back into our house at the end of March. Between the end of February and up to a few weeks ago the garage became a full blown storage building. We moved furniture from the basement of the house back into the garage to give contractors space to work and stuff that we boxed up at the apartment was put in the garage to make moving day easier. You could barely see the floor or move around in there. 

BUT, the garage is finally all cleaned up. I have a little bit of paint and trim to do, but I told myself I wouldn't touch the bmw until the wall with the overhead door was painted (I know if I didn't do it now, it would then never get done). Now, I can start on the bmw. 

BA3D4612-D6BB-435A-A551-1EC5DBFE6ABD.jpeg

12B675B9-C41D-4A1E-8259-F9B6C37E4DAD.jpeg

93A31699-E0F4-4867-A69F-3D73966A6804.jpeg

83FA087B-D6AD-4952-8E1A-DB6576CE5393.jpeg

51 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

Does the black ceiling make it feel "cavey"? I've always liked white ceilings as it makes it feel more open.

I don't think it feels like a cave. When I'm in there I don't really notice the ceiling at all because of it being black and because the shades on the new lights -  celling kind of disappears. 

It is obviously nowhere near as bright in there as it was when the walls and ceilings were white and I just had bulbs on the ceiling and not downward light fixtures. But that's not the look and feel I was going for. 

3 hours ago, gilber33 said:

I don't think it feels like a cave. When I'm in there I don't really notice the ceiling at all because of it being black and because the shades on the new lights -  celling kind of disappears. 

I'm a fan of black or dark ceilings (in the right setting) for this exact reason. I'm likely doing a black (or darker gray) open ceiling whenever I re-do my basement. It seems to make the room feel taller too, especially if it's well-lit.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a redesigned heater valve? It’s the right shape at the pipes but the valve itself is different. 

5FCC5804-2295-47C2-8BAE-50C4C19AB9D9.png

Nevermind. Looks like it's a redesigned part. Apparently with lots of issues of them leaking but easily fixed.  

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/e30-technical-forums/general-technical/314152-new-late-model-heater-valve-part-is-different-than-old-late-model-heater-valve

Update. But not to the e30. Since we got Katherine’s Atlas, we don’t use the wagon for anything other than me going to and from work. So, the wagon is going and I got something more fun for a daily. 

FC605BCB-BF41-4670-BD49-5003A591834F.jpeg

B268CA4D-8763-483B-8D82-3BBCFB26374F.jpeg

Needs and exhaust and some other minor things, but, I’m very excited to have something more fun for a daily. 

On 5/14/2021 at 12:26 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

That is awesome!  I love the looks of these old bricks!

An 850 Turbo was my first car and what started everything for me. And at that time an 850R was the coolest thing in the world to me. So I’m very excited to have one for a daily. 

On 5/14/2021 at 12:32 PM, B C said:

I dont normally like yellow cars but those 850 turbos in yellow with gray wheels definitely do the trick for me.

cool snag!

Those are special cars. But I couldn’t justify the prices people ask for them. It’s insane. 

The 850R is up and the exhaust is out. I have a resonator and muffler coming this week so I can fix it. Some other little bits to take care of and then I’ll get it registered. The E30 is coming along as well. 

3FCEA3E9-BDD5-45D9-AE88-4AE541FA8B5B.jpeg

• gilber33 changed the title to My e30 Progress - Now With Misc. Volvo Content

Alright. I'm finally making some progress on the e30. While take a couple steps back. While snooping around the engine I noticed quite a bit of oil seeping out around the intake manifold gaskets and I have a fair amount of oil in the throttle body. I've read some is normal, but excessive oil in the intake manifold typically points to a vacuum leak. 

I ordered new intake manifold gaskets and oil drain pipe gaskets. But I think if I do have significant oil leaks they are coming from the two barbs for the IAC and brake booster. They are pretty loose. I've read that they are simply pressed into the manifold and can loosen up over time. These are some pretty solid vacuum leaks for how loose they are. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for fixing these? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, gilber33 said:

Alright. I'm finally making some progress on the e30. While take a couple steps back. While snooping around the engine I noticed quite a bit of oil seeping out around the intake manifold gaskets and I have a fair amount of oil in the throttle body. I've read some is normal, but excessive oil in the intake manifold typically points to a vacuum leak. 

I ordered new intake manifold gaskets and oil drain pipe gaskets. But I think if I do have significant oil leaks they are coming from the two barbs for the IAC and brake booster. They are pretty loose. I've read that they are simply pressed into the manifold and can loosen up over time. These are some pretty solid vacuum leaks for how loose they are. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for fixing these? 

Thanks!

I used some permatex gasket sealer on the barbs and it seems to be holding up well. I pulled the barbs out then just put a solid amount of sealant on them toward the flange of the barb, pressed them on, and let them set and they seem to be pretty much sealed up and in there solid. Check your charcoal canister hose too to make sure it’s hooked up to the intake manifold, it’s way the hell underneath the manifold and at least on my car did not have a hose clamp, so if it came off or was left disconnected that could be your issue too. When the head was off my e30 last, I forgot to hook that vacuum line back up and couldn't figure out why it idled like hot garbage until I smoke tested it and plumes of smoke came out the bottom there. Good luck with your vac leak search, it’s a never ending task on these it seems. 

Took the opportunity while my wife was in Chicago this weekend to have a couple late nights working on the bmw. Got all of the front and rear suspension in place. Still need to go through everything and tighten it up. New shifter assembly in. Driveshaft in.

20A42A89-4FC2-42CA-8EF6-D5534349D007.jpeg

4B2BC00A-1B4A-4D93-B270-6CC8D1307642.jpeg

Shifter is an IE DSSR, Garagistic solid selector rod joint (highly not recommended), delrin bushings on the shifter holder arm thing, and the Turner poly arm to car holder thing. Shift feel is fantastic.

09B43D23-A2F2-42BF-B464-34192DC28BFE.jpeg

Also used some permatex epoxy on the throttle body. I think this should work nicely to keep the barbs secure and not cause a vacuum leak.

EA32EFC5-C7E7-49D1-BCA0-AF6637F9D068.jpeg

0CD46A5A-3D53-4F2D-BEB9-1F3A74E366CA.jpeg

The R has been great. Next on the list for that is fixing the rear window rollers, replacing the blower motor motor, putting a stock cat back in, and some other general maintenance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car running last night. Took some attempts. I put in a new fuel pump and it wasn't getting any power when cranking. I jumped the pump relay pins and it started. Plugged the relay back in and now the pump was magically getting power. And then while running I was getting a weird noise which ended up being the CPS harness sitting on the alternator fan getting chewed up. It didn't wear through to the bare wires, but it did remove all the protect coating and the shielding. SOOOOOO took that out and ordered an OEM CPS and a couple new relays. 

FECE7361-7012-4829-9018-3C46611C8C3A.jpeg

This round of things grew beyond the originally planned suspension and exhaust and there some things to button up. But I'm really excited.

Beyond the e30 I have a full suspension refresh coming for the 850, rubber coolant and intercooler hoses to get rid of all the dumb red silicone hoses, and things to give it a good tune up. 

Wellllll alright then. Car is dirty af but it’s back on the ground. Obviously my old wheels are for sale and their replacements are some oem BBS Euroweaves. The smoked headlights went away for some new oem ellipsoids.

9E56B56E-54F6-466F-8916-413B8D1C0573.jpeg

The engine bay is largely the same except that I went through the engine harness and peeled off all of the crusty factory sleeving and replaced it with some nicer serving. Most of it is hidden, but it makes working with the harness so much better. I also replaced the soft AC lines with oem lines, new ac compressor, alternator, and oem coolant hoses. 

8413DA7F-7C7E-4DB6-8D7E-282DA02B18EA.jpeg

360EA24D-9B49-4F67-A519-85594A6717BF.jpeg

70D6DBB6-419A-4679-B94B-64CC74A355EF.jpeg

And what I was most excited for was the interior. I traded Tom some stuff from the car for a pair of Recaro SE. I took them to get recovered at Homestyle Custom Upholstery in Milwaukee. After talking to them about the seats and being reassured multiple times that they can recover them while maintaining their look and feel, I moved forward. Well, they butchered the seats.  I’m not entirely sure how they managed to do it, but they did. What I have now is actually their second attempt at fixing them. The bolsters all point different directions, the shapes are wrong, the bottom bolsters are flat. It’s been a really disappointing process. The company won’t even acknowledge that they look wrong. 

On the flip side, I have version 2 in the works. I will likely save these seats and over time get new foams for them and take them somewhere where the people actually take pride in their work. 

AE1EE714-C248-47F9-B582-D67D32A1B37F.jpeg

Wood steering wheel for full 80s effect. 

9DF43D3C-CFE0-4BEE-B4CC-E4BEF4FD0CDC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Interior V2.0 has begun. Out with the cardinal and in with the black. 

I picked up a black leather rear bench this past weekend and a set of gray door cards. Cue the SEM Color Coat paint and it's now all black. 

8214A989-B61B-42D5-88FE-17EF411B715F.jpeg

2CE497BD-1F21-4947-9442-3220B774A94E.jpeg

4264461F-1F40-49CA-8C51-005BF74645CE.jpeg

Rear bench went in the car with one of the new seats. They're Recaro LXB with a houndstooth inserts and nappa leather sides. This is what I was envisioning when I started this whole thing. I'm going to order a rear bench cover from zoomzoomzoom-ing to math the front seats in color/texture. They're also going to mimic the stitching on the rears. 

B479469C-C71A-4DBE-ABD3-056214A3ADCF.jpeg

9BEAC162-8683-494A-8FAA-89FCA4F94009.jpeg

88FB7C6D-067A-42C2-AE50-6C11E582525D.jpeg

C711F948-9D7A-4C52-A332-7D16116FCC82.jpeg

I also picked up a new windshield and a clean rust/dent-free hood on marketplace. I put in the windshield and will save the hood until I also find a replacement driver fender. 

Last few things to do are:

• Swap in the passenger seat and clean up the interior.
  • Install a new DEM relay. I am getting intermittent no start because the fuel pump isn't getting power. I tried jumping the fuel pump relay and that did nothing. Took out and reinserted the DEM relay and it started working completely normal. 
  • Charge the AC system. I just ordered a new receiver since the system sat open for several months.
  • Replace both tail light gaskets. Already have these but I was getting water in the trunk through the tail lights when I washed it. 

6FBEB5A9-3E25-4B72-8495-0F6EFDD3B505.jpeg

3F57659C-515A-40CD-9426-B67659A9A834.jpeg

13D4A038-7BBE-4687-B3D4-DE0373E655D0.jpeg

• gilber33 changed the title to Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum