WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum

gilber33

15 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Since suspension is on the punch list for the winter - what are some of you running and how do you like it? I know there are some coilover options, but I will likely not be going that route due to the cost and that they're not a direct swap (and the ones that are a direct swap are even more money). 

I'm leaning towards Koni Yellows with Ireland Engineering springs. Something semi-comfortable enough to DD, but can take some punishment. 

That would be a good combo.

Unless something has changes recently I prefer the ride height of the H&R race. The IE appeared to sit a bit taller in front. Even at that I was running E90 spring hats up front to lower it another 10mm, but that was an attempt to even out the proportions on a late model with the lower rear wheel arches. While aesthetics were secondary to driving enjoyment, the way the IE looked on a late model bothered me.

That spring rate with a Bilstein sport damper is slightly overdamped so I think the Konis are a great pick. 
Top it off with a set of sway bars it will make the stock suspension feel like you were once driving a bobblehead doll

I have IE3 springs and Bilstein sport dampers and overall I like how they handle and ride. Compared to the vogtlands I had before that were way too soft for the bilsteins, the stiffer spring rates have eliminated hitting the front bump stops like I was before (though that was with drop hats) and arguably ride a lot better because of it. What I don't like is how the car sits. The back is right where I'd like it to be but the front feels like its a full inch too high. Its particularly worse on my car because I run fixed camber plates that add about 1/4" of height. 

3 hours ago, B C said:

That would be a good combo.

Unless something has changes recently I prefer the ride height of the H&R race. The IE appeared to sit a bit taller in front. Even at that I was running E90 spring hats up front to lower it another 10mm, but that was an attempt to even out the proportions on a late model with the lower rear wheel arches. While aesthetics were secondary to driving enjoyment, the way the IE looked on a late model bothered me.

That spring rate with a Bilstein sport damper is slightly overdamped so I think the Konis are a great pick. 
Top it off with a set of sway bars it will make the stock suspension feel like you were once driving a bobblehead doll

I'll have to look into how the IE springs sit more. While aesthetics are secondary, that would bother me to the point that I'd need to change them. I haven't had Konis in any of my cars yet, but I have had Bilsteins and they've always seemed kind of "crashy" to me. 

The car has, what I believe are Bilstien HDs with IE springs. But the springs appear to be really old and the HDs are quite blown. The car failed the bumper bounce test when I got home from the Rally. 

It currently has a front ebay sway bar. What's your thought on sways in front and back or just the front? 

4 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

I have IE3 springs and Bilstein sport dampers and overall I like how they handle and ride. Compared to the vogtlands I had before that were way too soft for the bilsteins, the stiffer spring rates have eliminated hitting the front bump stops like I was before (though that was with drop hats) and arguably ride a lot better because of it. What I don't like is how the car sits. The back is right where I'd like it to be but the front feels like its a full inch too high. Its particularly worse on my car because I run fixed camber plates that add about 1/4" of height. 

I'd have to compare the HR Race vs IE springs. They seems to have the same rates according to that table, but maybe their heights are a little different. 

Yes, H&R race sit lower in front. Here is mine with E90 drop hats.

@KaiserRolls can comment on the suspension more since he now owns the car and did a few autocross with the H&R race setup. My only track day was on H&R SPORT + suspension techniques 22mm/19mm sway bars. I felt the car was really responsive, excellent turn-in and predictability. Changing the springs to H&R Race only made it better.

i’d recommend front and rear sways with reinforcements

7FAB61C5-6A2F-49C4-90F1-B0B7B325602C.thumb.jpeg.0e3b943bda31776f9d803b1cdf6ea641.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. So I’m going to keep the stock brakes but get a better pad. What’s your preferences? I’ve read a lot of back and forth between Stoptech and Hawk HPS but I always like to hear some first hand experience from people who have used various pads or something they’ve had good luck with. 

I’ve always used cheaper factory equivalent pads on my cars so I don’t have any experiences with performance pads. I’ve pushed this e30 harder than I have my other cars and have had a couple oh shit moments coming up to a turn. 

21 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Hey guys. So I’m going to keep the stock brakes but get a better pad. What’s your preferences? I’ve read a lot of back and forth between Stoptech and Hawk HPS but I always like to hear some first hand experience from people who have used various pads or something they’ve had good luck with. 

I’ve always used cheaper factory equivalent pads on my cars so I don’t have any experiences with performance pads. I’ve pushed this e30 harder than I have my other cars and have had a couple oh shit moments coming up to a turn. 

Are you concerned with noise/dust?

17 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

Not really. 

I always go down these stupid rabbit holes of mundane things like what brake pads to get. 

http://www.g-locbrakes.com/products/brake-compounds/

gloc uses transfer layer pads, so they want you to have a clean (turned)/new rotor to start with

could try out their GS-1 compound, that’s the most mild pad they offer

I run hawk HP+ and will be switching to GLOC R8 next year. The hp+ makes some noise and has some heavy dust for what it is  

we run the R6 on the evo x and it’s awesome for autox/light HPDE use. Makes lots of noise for daily driving and a decent amount of dust. Have been nothing short of impressed with those pads though  

Gf currently runs hawk HPS on the turbo Miata and I’m not a fan of them at all, she will most likely make the jump to R6/R8

FWIW, GLOC and Carbotech are basically the same thing, iirc they were started by the same dude or he left one to start the other. 

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a variety of things happening. 

The car has been parked since the rally. So far I have Bilstein Sport shocks/struts, HR Race Springs, Supersprint Catback (Black Friday sale from Turner), ST sway bar kit, new rotors and pads, and DSSR. On my list of things to get yet are coolant hoses, better short shift kit, new fuel pump and some other odds and ends. This last round should address all of the major systems that I haven't touched yet and hoping it will give me extended periods of driving with only minimal/routine maintenance. 

Our house addition is progressing. The inside is drywalled and I believe they will be starting on 1st floor floors next week. Our contractor is hoping to have the interior done around April. And my conversion of the garage into a shop continues. I put in cabinets to accommodate the fridge that was in the house that will now be in the garage. Painting some walls tonight so I can rotate things from unfished walls to finished walls to continue working.

Winter projects in the garage include: 

• Building a garden shed so the existing garden shed can become a toy shed. 
  • Building built-in cabinets and shelves in the house that we took on ourselves to save some money
  • Laying carpet and floating floors myself on the second floor of the house to save money

IMG_1138 (1).jpeg

So remember how I made a big stink about the workbenches and how unlevel they would be? Well, turns out they're completely fine. Will definitely leave it like this for a cleaner look. Plywood top has not been installed or trimmed down to fit, so ignore the crookedness. 

Almost done painting. Need to mud all the inside corners and then touch them up and then paint the ceiling. 

IMG_1385.JPEG

IMG_1383.JPEG

IMG_1297.JPEG

IMG_1381.JPEG

Also threw on the old front door from the house onto the garage. Fit perfect. Have some curtains to hang up so you can't see inside the garage. 

IMG_1293.JPEG

alternate idea below.  all the light, all the privacy, no ugly curtains.  

https://www.amazon.com/RABBITGOO-Privacy-Frosted-Adhesive-Bathroom/dp/B01MTA00AX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=window+film+frosted&qid=1607452388&s=home-garden&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzR1VSM0NLQlgwWE9aJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzAxNDgzMks4TERLQUY1MzBGRyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDgxMzU4REE5MFRMVDg4Njcmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

also a warning:  that door is just about the most insecure door you could have.  glass panes near the door handle are a target for thieves. someone can in that door in about 2 seconds. i installed sheet of lexan on the inside of a door like this in the past because it is nearly shatter/impact proof. the deadbolt is also in a very narrow piece of wood since the glass lite is right next to it. it could easily be kicked in without reinforcement. 

22 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

also a warning:  that door is just about the most insecure door you could have.  glass panes near the door handle are a target for thieves. someone can in that door in about 2 seconds. i installed sheet of lexan on the inside of a door like this in the past because it is nearly shatter/impact proof. the deadbolt is also in a very narrow piece of wood since the glass lite is right next to it. it could easily be kicked in without reinforcement. 

I'm aware, but I'm not overly worried about it. It was the front door to our house and never had an issue. We've left for the weekend and have accidentally left the french doors wide open on our back porch and doors unlocked without issue. Also have neighbors who watch our house and we'll have cameras. 

@The Full Banana was helping me move some furniture that was in the garage into the house a few weeks ago and a neighbor from across the street ran over at 9PM to make sure we weren't burglars. 

Perhaps these are some famous last words, but I think it'll be OK. 

EDIT: Also, my curtains are going to be Buffalo Check. So far from ugly. lol. They'll fit in with the space when I'm done. 

• 2 months later...

Floors are being finished/refinished this week in the house, so I have been exiled from my projects in there. Which means getting caught up on the e30. Getting a bunch of parts off for @The Full Banana and continuing my projects that I hard started in the garage. 

9B5A70CA-05C7-4B9D-870A-F2357AD2941E.jpeg

Bench top finished and built a shelf for above it with some lighting. 

A5900236-FF69-40AB-AAF1-CA42D8D7CA72.jpeg

Made the little TV stand there. Will get a TV for there and mount the speakers in the garage to use for music. 

319072DA-6935-4BE4-96EA-FD4C86229596.jpeg

Picked up this nifty power strip on amazon. Neat story. I know. 

A5B0051F-97F5-4A9C-91AE-73B95D52CEDE.jpeg

I also decided I didn't want to do a 2-post lift in the garage because of how much room they take up and I don't really like the quickjack type lifts so I opted for some beefy jack stands that have some good height to them. 

5EE72091-48BF-4F0D-96D9-2FA7A0D5083F.jpeg

Looks cozy. Under-cabinet lights look nice and should be legitimately functional. It's hard to have too much light over a workbench.

Maybe it's out-of-frame somewhere, but no workshop is complete without a good vice mounted on something solid; for when that stubborn bit needs some polite, but firm persuasion.

3 hours ago, HipMF said:

Looks cozy. Under-cabinet lights look nice and should be legitimately functional. It's hard to have too much light over a workbench.

Maybe it's out-of-frame somewhere, but no workshop is complete without a good vice mounted on something solid; for when that stubborn bit needs some polite, but firm persuasion.

Yeah, it’s on the list to get a new vice for the work bench. The other one was falling apart and I tossed it. 

3 hours ago, B C said:

I bought some Race Ramps because of you and now I feel the urge to buy some other things..... take my money

Lol. What’s peaked your attention this time? The jack stands? I highly recommend them. 

9 hours ago, B C said:

Those

and the snail too.

01610C69-A601-4F3E-A871-0444B564C670.jpeg.60c3383377c17a484c14185a882331c2.jpeg

Thank you. It only took me about two weeks to complete the snail. One of my better pieces. 

5 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Those jack stands have been on my wish list since the HF recalls 🙄 That lamp is begging for a pool table under it.

They can still go significantly higher. I really like them so far. Car feels very stable. I don’t care what people say about the quick jacks, I couldn’t get comfortable working under them. 

Next on my list is a better jack. Looking at the HF extended ones. 

• gilber33 changed the title to Non-BMW Stuff on a BMW Forum