WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

2018 AutoX Events

straight6pwr

2 hours ago, m42b32 said:

I won't be there unfortunately :(

I'm hoping to have my e30 done for the next Shawno event though, assuming they have another in September(ish)  

This has been a bigger disappointment than any of us ever could have anticipated. I feel empty,  nay, cheated, out of the opportunity to see your face tomorrow. 

They should have one more in the fall months again though. 

Don’t let me down twice in one year. 

15 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

This has been a bigger disappointment than any of us ever could have anticipated. I feel empty,  nay, cheated, out of the opportunity to see your face tomorrow. 

They should have one more in the fall months again though. 

Don’t let me down twice in one year. 

I'm sorry for the crushing disappointment, but don't worry, If I don't have an e30 to drive this summer/fall, I'll be sure to make it to at least one or two events in whatever else I have that runs

Pics!

I had some settings jacked up on my camera and didn't realize it. Also Fox Valley is less lax about just letting you walk around on the track to take pictures. Still managed to get a couple fun shots though.

King of Lean e46.

UwFmPbR.jpg

vP1o1mH.jpg

Mitch, driving that one guy's old car

R4CjyvB.jpg

Mitch over-cooking a corner.

g0mvDz4.jpg

Doing it properly this time.

2fF84PL.jpg

Austin?

OMvQVwL.jpg

2aLVnf8.jpg

Dan.

64KncIN.jpg

qCKFmBb.jpg

Brooke.

N8TCqnK.jpg

And some inspiration For Matt Y, if he even comes around here...

sNUzsfR.jpg

Good times.

Had to post this here, because it's cool, AND because I think it really illustrates what it's like to drive this car.

mLwQPYe.jpg

After braking hard and hucking the car into a corner it's pretty neutral. The car rotates well, but both ends of the car feel like they have about the same grip (ie both sliding the same amount 🤣). If you're patient and wait for the exit, and then ease into the throttle gently as the grip returns, you can keep the car nice and composed. If you're less saintly, you get into the throttle too early, or too aggressively. The car tells you you've done it wrong by stepping out the rear just a little. I learned long ago that at this point, letting off or countersteering to stop the slide causes the car to regain traction suddenly, and you're left scrambling (with no power steering) to keep the car pointed in the right direction. So, you basically have no choice but to steer the car with the throttle. Less throttle, less rotation. More throttle, more rotation. Stepping out the rear like this in a car with 140 crank horsepower probably isn't the fastest way around the track, but it's a helluva lot of fun. 👍

Thanks for sharing your pics @HipMF

some tips if you need 'em for nikon cameras:  If your lens has the VR switch, turn it off. it wont play well with camera panning or moving objects. Set your Autofocus mode to AF-C and 3D tracking. it predicatively changes the focus based on your subjects movement, to help catch focus on cars coming towards you.

finally got around to my photos

X4CxRqK.jpg

IrvIPJW.jpg

sNs2mml.jpg

pgek7Io.jpg

PUsgxSw.jpg

BEIW4hy.jpg

8E8vINB.jpg

st4geqX.jpg

mNDKrip.jpg

agreed. The M3 sounded sweet.

8 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

Thanks for sharing your pics @HipMF

some tips if you need 'em for nikon cameras:  If your lens has the VR switch, turn it off. it wont play well with camera panning or moving objects. Set your Autofocus mode to AF-C and 3D tracking. it predicatively changes the focus based on your subjects movement, to help catch focus on cars coming towards you.

finally got around to my photos

Thanks for the tips. The last time I used the camera was at a show that I went to, so I had the ISO jacked up to 800 and autofocus set to AF-S. I just forgot to change it before I started snapping away. Noob mistake. Live and learn...

nLjRbWl.jpg

4 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

it sounded amazing too!

Thanks guys and nice pics! Maybe by next event  I’ll be able to figure out who’s who by all your guys cars 🤦‍♂️

I’m planning on going to the next event at RA on Aug 12th, I’ll have to make it a point to actually put some faces to the names. I will say though the e21 was definitely one of my favorites out there! 

On 7/11/2018 at 9:57 PM, MPW3RLee said:

Thanks guys and nice pics! Maybe by next event  I’ll be able to figure out who’s who by all your guys cars 🤦‍♂️

I’m planning on going to the next event at RA on Aug 12th, I’ll have to make it a point to actually put some faces to the names. I will say though the e21 was definitely one of my favorites out there! 

Just signed up for the Aug 12th event at RA as well! 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 10:30 PM, HipMF said:

Anyone else able to get signed up for the Sept. 23 event at RA? I'm not seeing it...

I QQed about it on the book of faces, but haven't gotten a response yet...

Were you able to sign up? I just signed up for it, going to be driving the wagon in D street. Looks like the registration is open for FVSCC members only until the 2nd of September, then open to non-members. 

2 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Were you able to sign up? I just signed up for it, going to be driving the wagon in D street. Looks like the registration is open for FVSCC members only until the 2nd of September, then open to non-members. 

I did find the page, but it said I wasn't a member when I tried to sign up. I joined the club through motorsportsreg, but maybe someone needs to manaully add me to the list or something. I sent an email to Justin last night. We'll see...

• 3 weeks later...

Had a blast at the FVSCC RA autocross today! Perfect weather and the course had a great mix of fast and challenging sections. I understeered my way to a glorious not-last finish in my class!

Tried my hardest with my potato phone camera, got a few shots of @HipMF while working turn 1. They both came out a little blurry unfortunately, probably had a finger print on the lens or something. 

31002064778_7b9897bab7_b.jpg

44824491692_b97a6886c8_b.jpg