WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Joined the Club Today

SteelBlue

Well, not so great news.

Went to bleed the clutch after work with the nice weather and shot the dowel out of the slave. Was pumping the clutch with my hand a couple times with the bleeder closed, then crawl under the car and open the bleeder valve. Maybe the third time doing this I hear a hollow ping sound. Assumed the worst and was correct after pulling the slave. I was able to pull the old one out after disconnecting the line and pulling the dowel the rest of the way out. But now I don't know if I can get a new one in. It's incredibly tight to begin with and was only barely able to pull the old one out.

Only hope really is that if the trans can be lowered some to somehow get a new one on. Or if there's some other way to snake it in there that I haven't tried. I don't want to even think about having to pull the trans.

I also tried fitting an exhaust from another S52 swapped E30. Y pipe piece fit on one down pipe but was the same diameter as the other. Hanger is also off from where it mounted to the body. Can't say I'm to surprised given how random these headers can be from the manufacture and that this exhaust was made to fit a car that wasn't mine. Will have to get one fabbed, so if you fab exhausts, let me know.

0 steps forward, 2 steps back...

• 2 weeks later...

Took a day off work to work on the car.

Diff out.

xvwR4T4.jpg

Not terribly difficult but a ratcheting 19 mm spanner would have made life easy.

7Q6kgSt.jpg

Bought some new hardware for it.

8kCbrlz.jpg

Tank out. Biggest pain in the ass was the center bolt. Believe it is supposed to thread into the frame, but the nut broke so I was able to use a 13 mm spanner to get it to brake but it was a bitch getting it to hold. Maybe it is supposed to be a nut, but it looks like the welds broke.

kGe56Qm.jpg

Assuming this is where one of the leaks was from.

92d8tCg.jpg

Started moving over some of the stuff over from the old tank. I am trying to find this pipe on the far right, but can't seem to find a part number from Real OEM. It has a good amount surface corrosion but nothing that looks like it potentially leak. I would prefer to just replace it.

There is also another hard fuel line that does not run next to the feed, return, and brake line. It runs along the edge of the car that looks really corroded that I would like to replace but I can't find it on Real OEM either. Or I'm looking at it and don't notice. I didn't take a picture, but it hangs on these individual plastic hangers. What is this line?

image.png

imageedit_3_8275077655.gif

3 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

Check along the line from end to end and see if it's actually attached to anything. Could be someone replaced a line and just left the old rusted one in place rather than removing it.

I started chasing it up to the front but didn't go any further. It was attached the gas tank but I don't know what for. Fuel cooling line?

2 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Mostly fumes. Its just a vent for your Fumes/ air that has to escape somewhere when you fill your tank with gas. 

to some extent, but i think the filler neck has a built-in vent for filling, due to the rate at which air has to escape.

the vent line works both ways for pressure relief. as fuel is drawn out by the pump, air also needs to get back into the tank otherwise you create a vacuum and make the car's fuel pump work harder than it has to. also, fuel expands with heat so the pressure has to get out as it expands.  someone plugged the vent line in the engine bay on my e30. when I'd pop the filler cap to fill the tank, the seal would pop then hiss as air rushed into the tank because of the vaccuum.

there should be no fuel in the vent line.

52 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

to some extent, but i think the filler neck has a built-in vent for filling, due to the rate at which air has to escape.

the vent line works both ways for pressure relief. as fuel is drawn out by the pump, air also needs to get back into the tank otherwise you create a vacuum and make the car's fuel pump work harder than it has to. also, fuel expands with heat so the pressure has to get out as it expands.  someone plugged the vent line in the engine bay on my e30. when I'd pop the filler cap to fill the tank, the seal would pop then hiss as air rushed into the tank because of the vaccuum.

This. 

2 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

1 hour ago, Jdesign said:

This. 

Any chance at knowing the part number? I would like to replace it while also this is out to avoid any potential leaks.

I think it might be this one, 16131179784

ES#36969 - 16131179784 - 8-BREATHER PIPE - Genuine BMW -

Found a guy selling a gas tank on R3V, was able to purchase the one hard line I needed off of it.

Tried to do a little research regarding the vent line and purchased it through the dealer. Can return if it's not right. Planning on just trying to line it up with the one on there and see if it matches.

I purchased a new master cylinder with the new slave because I want to replace the whole system to avoid and hopefully correct whatever issue I had. I was watching this master cylinder replacement video and he had the same issue I had, clutch pedal shoot straight to the floor. Mine could have been doing this for a couple of reasons, but I'm hoping it's just because the master was bad. I would press the piston in and it would stick in the "pressed down" position. Also seemed to have a lot of play in the shaft, but I'll have to compare with the new one. Getting a new hard line and hose to the reservoir as well. 

Working under the dash sucks. Only having a cunt hair to wiggle around is annoying. I usually end up removing the seat and putting my feet up on the rear seat.

BpLkR4x.jpg

Mastery cylinder replaced with new clutch hard line and reservoir line. Surprisingly easier going in than coming out(buh dum tss).

juCldcI.jpg

My dumbass thought I bought the wrong one because it wasn't contacting the switch in the resting position. Turns out you can adjust those. This is also for the cruise control, which I uninstalled, so inconsequential in the whole scenario. Brake switch was also not being contacted when the pedal was in the resting position, so adjusted that and they work now.

Might have found my coolant leak? Was looking around under the car when I was working with the clutch line and noticed some sheen on the coolant pipe. While in the picture below it might just look shiny, it is indeed covered in some residual fluid after running my finger along it. Hopefully this hose could just be replaced and fix the issue? If not, I still have the OBD1 coolant pipe adapter and spider hose in the case that this is not the issue. I'm not sure how long coolant would hang on a pipe as the car has not been started since October or November. Never had any puddles under the car so maybe an incredibly gradual leak? Who knows.

gGDxVW5.jpg

Just waiting on my last fuel tank hard line before I can start miserable experience that will be getting the gas tank installed and hooked up again.

On 4/29/2019 at 2:09 PM, suspenceful said:

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at in that last picture, but the hose clamp looks too tight. I also see a hose that isn't connected to anything.

I looked today and it’s the other part of the charcoal canister.

Do I even need to run the charcoal canister?

3554879C-D5FE-4BDF-8FDE-84832E38EA1A.jpeg

Replaced the rear sway bar end links because the old bushings looked old and cracked. Might as well with everything out of the way.

0C9BBF5E-2D20-4AD8-A5A4-08230182D9FD.jpeg

Also go the new gas tank installed. Surprisingly, getting it in wasn’t the hardest part. Was about 5 mins of fucking around with the tank on my chest before it kind of just “popped” into place. It’s not a straight drop as there are over hangs on the front and back that force you to kind of wedge it in there. Hardest part was getting the fuel pipe to fuel tank hose onto the molded pipe coming out of the back of the tank. Subframe gives you almost no room to work with, but got it on. Have it all the way butted up to the tank on the top of the hose and about 75% on the bottom. I spent probably 15 mins alone trying to close the remaining gap but just couldn’t give the space and how tight the new hose must be. Thumb started bleeding from my finger nail pressing so hard.

It is however, probably almost and inch past the little ridge on the pipe and am confident that with the hose clamp on it should be fine. 

I didn’t hook any other hoses up after because I was spent for the day. I also want to verify that the replacement hose I bought for all the connections is indeed high pressure stuff. Annnnd I didn’t mark two of the hoses that connect around the fuel pump(but aren’t related to), so I’ll have to figure out which is which before plugging them in backwards.

Every good engine swap project involves mixing up the feed and return lines.

you do not need the charcoal canister. Ir would be best to install a small inline fuel filter on the vent line to keep debris from getting into the vent line, and terminate it away from places that fuel vapors could pose an explosion hazard. Usually the engine bay is fine but i routed mine lower down in the bay. Others terminate it back near the tank under the car

IMG_5151.jpg

Got the rest of the plumbing finished up on the driver side. Was going to replace that one crusty pipe but since it's for the charcoal canister and I don't think that's even hooked up, I just left it and hooked it up. Corroded, but didn't see anything structural.

IMG_5154.jpg

Last bit is to hook this bit up. Thicker line runs to the top of the expansion tank, thinner line runs to the bottom. Does the thin one go to the pipe molded into the tank or to the black plastic one? Black plastic one is the one that runs to the charcoal canister. Or is it the thick one that runs to the molded line?

I would still like to hook them up regardless if the charcoal canister is properly working or not.

New hard lines also installed. Just need to hook them up at the front, but stupidly forgot to label them. Does anyone know which is which in the picture below? Return/feed? Figured I'd ask before removing the intake manifold and everything to take a look. Left is front of the car, right is to the rear of the car.

IMG_5152.jpg