WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Joined the Club Today

SteelBlue

So I probably need a bigger torch. I was heating the area of the reaming stud for a good 5 minutes, the entire trans was warm to the touch, but no dice on getting it out. Tried two different punch sizes on both ends, used penetrating fluid while it was hot. Maybe I just need to cycle it more with the heat and fluid. Or need to utilize a friends bigger torch.

I replaced the selector shaft seal as well as the input shaft seal on the trans. Also did the carrier rod(what ever the thing is that the shifter sits in) bushing where it meets the trans as well as the shifter bearing. Need to rent a three prong puller for the output shaft.

I found the problem with my trunk. The lever in the picture below was getting stuck on the housing of the latch housing. I believe this is because the spring that this lever is on is not as taught and giving it some play. The lever would catch the side of the housing and not allow the latch to open. So for the time being, I have shaved the portion of the housing to make sure that it would not get caught. The picture below shows the lever pushed as far over, you can see how it would over lap.

IEBJPYA.jpg

My plan is to go to the junk yard on Saturday and find a new male trunk latch(the part that was stuck in the latching mechanism that I cut off to get the latching mechanism out of the car) and possible a new latching mechanism all together to see if it is in better shape. The lock itself I believe is completely toast. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to spring out when it's pushed in but it just says. So I might just buy a new one off eBay with a key as my last lock rebuilding experience did not go to plan.

2 hours ago, Jdesign said:

You mean Mapp Gas? lol

Yeah, I'll have to see if my buddy has that at his shop as all I have is a little propane torch lol

I used eBay for its actual intended function for once and won an auction for a trunk lock and key. Was searching last night and came across an auction with no bids and 11 hours left. $10 later and I've got a new lock and key. Hell of a lot better than buying a new one or any of the other ones I've seen going on eBay.

22 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

Yeah, I'll have to see if my buddy has that at his shop as all I have is a little propane torch lol

They use the same tank and threads if you are using a standard torch nozzle. 

Related image

Otherwise if you want to really heat that fawker, Get one of these kits, I have one that I paid $40 for from Ace hardware.

Image result for Brazing Torch Kit

19 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Otherwise if you want to really heat that fawker, Get one of these kits, I have one that I paid $40 for from Ace hardware.

I need that!  Are there different tips?  How does it compare to Oxy/Acetelyne?  It's a huge plus that it is just a small kit instead of big tanks.

1 hour ago, Jdesign said:

They use the same tank and threads if you are using a standard torch nozzle. 

Related image

Oh, I wasn't aware you could buy that in one of those cans. I have the propane one on the right. I'll stop by HD or somewhere on the way home and give that a try.

22 hours ago, jc43089 said:

I need that!  Are there different tips?  How does it compare to Oxy/Acetelyne?  It's a huge plus that it is just a small kit instead of big tanks.

I dont think they make different tips but I never really looked or needed one. The best part is that you can get a really small, intense, and controlled flame with a good focal point. Its perfect for heating bolts near soft parts you might not want heated such as bushings and boots. 

17 hours ago, HipMF said:

I had one of those oxy-mapp setups many years ago. The "regulators" don't work well, and the oxygen tanks don't last long. I did manage to melt some copper with it, so they do work...

The one I have works just fine, but yes, you need to be aware of the flame size, you will go through the oxygen fast!  

Also you will need to (or should) wear tinted eye protection.

Wheel stud conversion done

BBAEF47B-9447-462D-8EDA-0F2C7F52E98C.jpeg

73D2F700-367D-4C8C-A31D-3058416F21B1.jpeg

Was able to get a trunk latch from Gibson’s. E32 trunk latches are the same as E30s. My trunk lock mechanism should be here tomorrow so should hopefully have the trunk wrapped up tomorrow.

D3EB308C-C462-4804-8B4D-ED78AB2038B9.jpeg

Mtech 1 spoiler also came today. Gonna paint it and install it tomorrow hopefully. Got a wedding and some buddies back in town so might have to wait until Monday. Gonna buff and polish the trunk before installing the wing. 

213D2027-B62C-4ECE-BC3C-7B4149551177.jpeg

Did some paint correction work before installing the wing. This is clay bar, three stages of buffing/polishing, and wax. I'm going to just post the pictures as I don't remember the exact order of everything.

Figured I'd use my T3i since I have it. 

Starting point was pretty rough:

5Ito1ky.jpg

TitU734.jpg

Materials for the job:

JgT7A8o.jpg

After clay bar, pretty rough still:

eYh3NQO.jpg

After first compound:

OA4HKW6.jpg

Think this was after the second compound with the medium pad

vM3vhaI.jpg

Polished and waxed:

Pr9MiGy.jpg

8aeBCgM.jpg

I'd say it's like a 6/7-10 for condition of paint. A wet sand could probably help a good amount but thats for another day.

Found a spot to start putting some of my stickers:

fxZYgCg.jpg

Got my trunk lock mechanism, trunk closes and latches now. This is really small in the grand scheme of the car, but feels like such an accomplishment for this to work lol

OhYq2Ya.jpg

m6ajnsS.jpg

Figured I'd participate in a WIBIMMERS tradition:

HFZt0ov.jpg

An4A47X.jpg

r5CyD3e.jpg

Waiting for the paint to dry on the Mtech wing before installing. 

Don’t feel like I’m making enough day to day progress. Waiting on my hardline to replace the one I accidentally cut. Shipped from Germany and is shipping from ECS Friday so should be here early next week hopefully. Really want to do that before the motor goes in any capacity.

Still need to do the RMS, but the motor needs to be off the stand and I’m not gonna ask to borrow the crane before the motor is ready to go in. Really now just debating on wether or not to put it in with or without the wiring harness attached. I think for potential clearancing issues it would be helpful to not have it attached. I still need to figure out my body harness to motor harness, as I have not even touched that. This is by far the most daunting task of the car so far, the wiring, as I’ve never done it before.

I did order a new VANOS oil line and washers as I did notice it was looking cracked around the fittings. Also got a few of the small trans parts I needed(bitch clip, U clip).

So in the meantime I’ve started doing some of the body work. I wanted to get the front bumper to fit better so I pulled it off to work on the fitting. This car has definitely been in an accident. Driver bumper shock was probably an inch and half higher than the passenger. You can also see that there is a gap that widens toward the driver side between the bumper and the thin piece of body underneath the grilles. Gap between bumper and fender is pretty noticeable on the driver side but I got the bumper on the tracks. 

Went to pull the rear bumper and got the first torx bolt out, sheared my socket on the second one.

F4F0F9D9-E1F8-44C5-8C6C-423BAE23E9C1.jpeg

Not sure if I should try it on an impact instead of breaker bar with my jack handle next time?

I pulled the door molding and didn’t brake any clips! Put a fresh coat of paint on the euro grilles and the head lights rings. I also took the IS lip off and got it painted.

This I am super stoked on. I love the knick-knacky shit and this is definitely that. I see a lot of the Porsche guys with these at RA and really wanted to get one for the E30, I think it adds a lot of flare to the front of the car.

36F04F4F-DB1F-4D3B-80EC-CE2ED83C66C7.jpeg

Installed with the fresh painted grilles. Need new headlights ASAP.

BB63F85C-98FE-43A0-9F42-B9F1B4DD1279.jpeg

The nuts that hold the rear bumper in are accessed from the truck (PS) or underneath the car (DS). Those torx bolts are pretty notorious for getting stuck, and the are not an easy one to get out after that. 

I like the IE badge!

Side note on the brake line, you should check with Bergstrom more often for parts. I've found it common for them to come in at a lower price and with much faster shipping time with many of the parts I've needed. Sometimes it's priced much higher, but ya can't win em' all!

20 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

the rear bumper shocks can be unmounted from the car attached to the bumper via the two bolts that hold them to the car, if for some reason that torx bolt is stubborn. then you can get in there with some spray/heat. 

an impact is always a better choice than a long breaker bar 

13 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

The nuts that hold the rear bumper in are accessed from the truck (PS) or underneath the car (DS). Those torx bolts are pretty notorious for getting stuck, and the are not an easy one to get out after that. 

I like the IE badge!

Side note on the brake line, you should check with Bergstrom more often for parts. I've found it common for them to come in at a lower price and with much faster shipping time with many of the parts I've needed. Sometimes it's priced much higher, but ya can't win em' all!

I'll have to look into this method for getting the bumper off.

6 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Thank you. How long did you guys have this car? Looked you said a couple of years?

I also forgot to ask, does the odometer work?

Bought one of those $8 Broadway mirrors off eBay for those JDM scene points. But it actually looks like it will be really nice to drive with. No more checking blind spots before merging!

ALfMrM2.jpg

sup

jyh4WDY.jpg

Painting trim pieces

env3qWs.jpg

Heres the side bumper fitment after I did some pulling and some cutting on the bumper shock. Fits in the tracks on the body its tight to the car, but low compared to the fender. Not sure if I can relocate that bracket on the body of the car to make this a better fit?

OQZ6U5Z.jpg

Other profile look of the gap

gpPbCgh.jpg

15 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

if loosening the bolts that hold the bracket dont give you enough adjustment, you could slot the holes in the bracket to add up/down adjustment - they are plastic. 

Slot the holes in the bracket, or the body/valence of the car? This is a good idea and think I might try this tomorrow after work.

I'm gonna paint the old kidneys black, liking how this all black looks. Also kind of makes me reconsider smoked headlights.

image.png