WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Joined the Club Today

SteelBlue

Is there a gasket for between the firewall and the booster? It looked like there was one when I took it off, but I’m not finding much when searching for one.

Drilled and cut the firewall for booster relocation, not pretty, but it doesn’t have to be.

5F90EB3A-140D-4931-91C6-A07B0388E567.jpeg

Cut the CC and airbox bracket. Don’t have a great angle for grinding this portion of the bracket off. Still looks better than before though.

61469B5A-E599-454A-95FC-B6398D95F7BA.jpegBC6EF2E0-C4A4-4D52-8499-70D376432373.jpeg

Next task at hand is getting the clevis welded. Now that the hole is drilled and cut, I just need that taken care of so I can attach the brake pedal. I’m sure doing that and reattaching the booster from the inside is gonna be REALLY fun...

1 hour ago, Earl said:

Ah...I thought you gnawed it open

Yeah I just took an angle grinder to it. Figured it’s easier to make it a bigger hole for trying to maneuver it in there. 

22 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Dang, Earls coming with the jokes this morning!

And Yes @SteelBlue there is normally a foam gasket. You can get away without it, but you can also just buy material at a hardware store to make one. Its mostly for noise and moisture protection in the cabin. 

That’s what I assumed it was for.

Put the E34 throttle cable in. Is this thing supposed to be a mile long? I am assuming you could kind of route it to make it work.

8tubJOH.jpg

Airbag computer and airbag impact sensors removed from the bay.

aDLzPzm.jpg

Painted the brake booster hole I cut so it doesn't look so heinous.

euGiX0x.jpg

Scheduling the E36 to get picked up on Saturday hopefully. Then bringing the motor home that day.

Need to get the clevis welded and then the bay should theoretically be ready for the motor.

Had a few too many beverages Friday night at Mile of Music, cancelled my scheduled time to have the E36 picked up. I'm gonna have to leave work early one of these days as I do not want to wait until next weekend to get it hauled off.

Not to waste the entire weekend, I cleaned the engine bay. Pretty much bagged and zip tied any open electric end or anything I thought might not like having water around it.

Made a world of difference.

Before:

pTZVnQZ.jpg?2

e6E5Yfa.jpg

J3dCmk8.jpg

After:

2jOR5Rj.jpg?2

MQ0Ta9j.jpg

Is0elvx.jpg

Not wanting to pay hundreds of dollars to swap the interior black, I decided to give the interior dye a shot. I chose a flat black in anticipation of the gloss maybe looking a little "spray painty". Will have to see how it looks once its cured for a night and bring it out into the sunlight to see. I will be doing this for all the door cards, the carpet, rear deck lid, and the rear seat. I am only doing the rear seat mainly for visuals. I don't really anticipate anyone riding in the rear, but I feel like the very few times someone might, it will hold up. I will also be re-adhesiving the leather that has become a little loose around the edges

I don't expect this to be a perfect solution, but for how cheap it is, it will get the look I am after. Down the road I will look into getting some actual black door cards. I think the lighting in the pictures makes it look a little splotchy.

Front seats get too much use I think for this dye to last. I could be wrong, it might be really great stuff and be really durable. For seats however, I think the general abuse would cause this to wear off. Which is why I will be looking at picking these up over the winter as the new front seats.

76L2xxs.jpg?2

eY9gUmE.jpg?2

876389E8-7868-4055-9084-2A4FE50CE0B2.jpeg

Car was pulled from the storage unit. This dude pulled this thing out in a very unlikely circumstance.

Got the motor home and have been in the process of trying to remove the trans. I’ve got it so it separates by an inch, but will not come off. I don’t know if I just need to pull on it harder or what. Is there a truck I’m not doing or am I supposed to just yank on it harder?

8CACBE59-3A46-4592-A869-1DEDBBA37D67.jpeg

An actual update:

As I had posted earlier, the M3 shell was removed from the storage unit allowing me to get the motor home. I'm still in awe at how easy that guy pulled the shell out without scratching the floor and given the tight space. Brought the motor home that night and got to work right away. Trans had that broken off bolt that put up a fight, but after getting enough clearance I just cut it off with the grinder. Struggled for the remainder of the night to get the trans off, called it quits. Watched a video about a trans removal and heard that tiny bolt holding that gasket has to removed. Sure enough came our right away.

Does anyone have the part number for that metal gasket between the trans and the block? I can't find it.

Started motor tear down right away after getting the trans off in the morning. Tried my best to label all of the wire ends for reassembly. This block was nasty.

eknHhjv.jpg

5JMFQhV.jpg

Shit was disgusting.

Cleaned up before paint.

A3Pf5Qj.jpg

Intake side painted.

pfmyBba.jpg

Exhaust side currently drying.

RpzhJtU.jpg

Didn't mask the pan since it's getting replaced.

Need to order a few gaskets(oil filter housing, intake manifold, throttle body).

@snap is this a banable offense?

tZ9GeRV.jpg

0vqu2x2.jpg

Third stall is slightly deeper than the other part of the garage which allows for this nice little bit of area in front of the car where I will be doing the rest of the motor prep.

hEUP8cz.jpg

Never posted about it, but just to the left of the tires in the above picture is my new Milwaukee toolbox that I picked up about a month ago. It is the same model that @YoungCR was selling awhile back and I love it. Size is perfect for my tool collection with some room to grow into. Love the look of the box and the hutch top is super convenient.

KMmPG2I.jpg

I feel like a light should have come standard with this, but I added one with a home depot LED under cabinet light and a harbor freight magnetic tool bar. Painted the light housing black and wrapped the cable in red to be more discrete.

cP0Txn3.jpg

t7gDVXv.jpg

I love it, was definitely worth the money and was a necessary upgrade. Plus I got an 11% rebate on it, so that will be going to some more power tools in the future.

Back to tonight:

New thermostat, thermostat housing, and water pump installed.

Lv13AUu.jpg