WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Joined the Club Today

SteelBlue

3 minutes ago, snap said:

Clicked expecting compression test numbers. Leaving satisfied.

Whats the gameplan?

Calypso is a great color

Get the M50 in and running. Need a 260 and a few other bits, but have the majority of it.

Replace suspension. Fix other things that might kill me while driving.

Drive it.

Wish it had an S50.

23 minutes ago, snap said:

I dont know how or why but the PNW is a bastion for E30 ownership.  Portland and Seattle craigslist are great for browsing.

We have a really good thing going here though. No complaints at all

H I P S T E R S

but no, there's probably a good reason

11 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Full Suspension refresh, rebuild locks and new parking break cables and this thing will be golden! Along with a new motor. Still have the glovebox and a few things we forgot to bring up with the car too. Can't wait to see it back on the road.

Yeah Ben said there were a couple of other things you still had to bring, let me know whenever you can drop the other items off. I think Ben said something about today with the picnic being tomorrow or something? If not we can figure something else out. 

Very excited to get this back on the road.

21 minutes ago, snap said:

I dont know how or why but the PNW is a bastion for E30 ownership.  Portland and Seattle craigslist are great for browsing.

We have a really good thing going here though. No complaints at all

Agreed but it would still be pretty wild to become the midwest version of what happens on the coasts. 

8 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

Yeah Ben said there were a couple of other things you still had to bring, let me know whenever you can drop the other items off. I think Ben said something about today with the picnic being tomorrow or something? If not we can figure something else out. 

Very excited to get this back on the road.

I can certainly grab the parts and bring them to the picnic. 

23 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

What have I done?

Better you than me?

Good luck. I'd suggest getting the car running and driving as quickly as possible, and worry about everything else later. Obviously the rest of "the club" has been there and knows the dangers of mission creep and subsequently getting overwhelmed/loosing motivation.

Plus, you're in my spot dude. 😄

16 hours ago, HipMF said:

Better you than me?

Good luck. I'd suggest getting the car running and driving as quickly as possible, and worry about everything else later. Obviously the rest of "the club" has been there and knows the dangers of mission creep and subsequently getting overwhelmed/loosing motivation.

Plus, you're in my spot dude. 😄

Getting it run as soon as possible is the goal. Ben is grabbing the last parts from Chris at the picnic today. Gonna review what I've got and source the rest of the stuff to get it running. Trans is the main thing I can think of now. Not sure if it has a wiring harness or not.

Unsure of the status of the M50, being that it's good or not, but I'm sure we will be able to figure it our relatively quickly once it's in.

Buying coils to replace the blown suspension is the other matter of business, but will not be done until the car runs.

• 2 weeks later...

Get the M50 in and running. Need a 260 and a few other bits, but have the majority of it.

Replace suspension. Fix other things that might kill me while driving.

Drive it.

Wish it had an S50.

f4cYiqQ.jpg

What a trip this was.

After taking some inventory, getting pricing from @patsbimmer1, and talking with @GunMetalGrey, came to the conclusion that buying @ChrisO S52 would be a better value for only a few hundred more than buying everything to get the M50 that came with the car running. Initially I wanted to only purchase the drivetrain from the car, but after some deliberating figured out that it probably wouldn't be plausible.

So I got a storage unit so I could put the M3 somewhere while I tore it down and pulled the drivetrain.

We were trying to figure out the best way to get it from Green Bay to Appleton. Considered driving it, but its gutted, on shitty tires, and no seat. Ended up getting it flatbeded from his to the storage unit. Chris said they had to gas up the truck before heading out so he left a bit after they left to get gas and went to meet me at the storage unit. We got there at the same time, but the car was not there. It had started raining pretty good at this point so were both just sitting in our cars and waiting. 20 minutes go by and it's still not there and now its been like an hour since they left his place. Because he used AAA we didn't have the towing company info. Figured out that the picture he took of the car on the flatbed had the phone number on it, but the number was a disconnected line or was not accepting calls. Waited longer, still raining. Chris has been on hold with AAA for like 20 mins so decided to just drive back down 41 to see if they were stuck on the side of the road. He called me and told me the car would be there soon and it showed up as he was calling me, almost 2 hours after leaving Green Bay.

But hey, it stopped raining by then, which was nice.

But yeah, time to start doing some work. Very excited about potentially having an S52 E30.

@ChrisO has been a massive help in the whole sale of this car. Between arranging the flat bed, driving down to help unload the car, helping jack the car up(lowered and rusted jacking points), and prep the engine to be pulled this is by far the best car sale I've been a part of.

Car is in the air and the the harness is free from the chassis. Last things to pull are the power steering pump, AC compressor(all bolts removed but stuck on, not sure about this, will need to revist), and then some small evap shit. Rad support being completely off will make pulling a lot easier.

@GunMetalGrey coming in big time as always and supplying the crane to hopefully pull the motor this weekend.

OtKUvEF.jpg

The A/C compressor has sleeve dowels on some of the bolts, just pull/pry straight out from the engine.  Looks good, that will be a piece of cake to pull straight out the front.

Edit: did you remove the 4 long bolts that go through the compressor body?  The bracket won't come off unless you get the bolt out that is hidden by the tone ring/front pulley.